The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

9 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Leslie,

I just looked on Amazon.  Walt Garrison's autobiography, Once a Cowboy, is selling for $125.

He wrote another one entitled, Then Landry Said to Staubach, that is available on Kindle (and as a used hardback.)

One of Shrake's finest:

Strange Peaches
 is set in Dallas just before and after the Kennedy assassination. The novel's lead character is a TV Western star who quits his show and returns to Dallas to make a documentary.[9] The book is based in part on Shrake's own life story: in November 1963, he was dating Jada, the star dancer at Jack Ruby’s Carousel Club.[5] Strange Peachesincludes Ruby as a supporting character, and borrows the real-life moment when Shrake, standing with his camera at Main and Houston, locked eyes with Kennedy.[6]
@Ron Bulman

Edited by Leslie Sharp

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

- Donald Trump -

"We have the worst education almost in the large world...”

Talk about a projection.  🤥

This reminds me of that news story (in 2016?) about one of Donald Trump's former professors at the University of Pennsylvania saying that, "Donald Trump was the single worst student he ever taught" at Penn.

Edited by W. Niederhut

5 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

What was the great book about these guys??

I'd guess North Dallas Forty by Peter Gent.  He was a cowboy's wide receiver when Garrison was drafted and supposedly close friends with Dandy Don Meredith off the field.  He was not a fan of Tom Landry or the cowboys organization.  The book was made into a movie in 1979 with Mac Davis playing the character based on Meredith and Nick Nolte as Gent's character.  I read it shortly after it came out in 1973.

Gent, according to Wikipedia, was one of the "self proclaimed" Mad Dogs.  Which included Shrake, Dan Jenkins and others.

North Dallas Forty: Peter Gent: 9780688001834: Amazon.com: Books

Edited by Ron Bulman

-Donald Trump-

"THE ATTACK ON ISRAEL WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED, ZERO CHANCE, IF THE ELECTION OF 2020 WAS NOT RIGGED AND STOLLEN. IT SHOWS THE WORLD HOW IMPORTANT ELECTIONS ARE."

It's all about ME.

ME. ME. ME.

So, the next time you are tempted to Stoll an election, remember ME.

ME. ME. ME.

PS: Remember to get a good education in that large world that nobody knows about.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

21 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Yeah, I saw that obit, Ron.  Sad.  Walt Garrison was one tough cowboy.

I saw him many years ago (in the 80s) when he made a surprise guest appearance on the Dan Reeves Show here in Denver one night, promoting his book, Once a Cowboy, Always a Cowboy.

Dan Reeves' face really lit up when Walt Garrison walked onto the set.  You could tell that Dan was very fond of Garrison.

At one point during the show, Garrison said something like, "Yeah, the Cowboys made me and Dan roommates, probably because I was the only guy on the team who could understand what Dan was saying."   😂

(Reeves always spoke with a heavy Georgia drawl.)

The former Broncos 2X SB coach, Reeves, wrote the forward for Walt's Once A Cowboy.  Which I'm re-reading.  I didn't remember that he graduated HS at 16, was the SC Gamecocks starting QB at 17 and re-wrote their passing record books at the time, then playing for the Cowboy's at 20.  Walt credits him with teaching him the intricacies of an NFL playbook, learning the importance of knowing what every other player is doing, and reading a defense. 

It looks like the U.S. State Department is quite deliberately prohibiting any comments about the war crimes in Gaza--the bombing of women and children, and the blockade on food, water, electricity, and medical supplies.

One million of Gaza's 2.3 million trapped civilians are children.

Yesterday, the Washington Post published HRW video evidence of Israel dropping white phosphorous munitions on civilians in Gaza.

This is quite shocking, IMO, and will go down in history as a U.S. foreign policy abomination.

US State Dept. Officials Told Not to Use Terms 'De-Escalation/Cease-Fire' About Gaza (commondreams.org)

Edited by W. Niederhut

17 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I'd guess North Dallas Forty by Peter Gent.  He was a cowboy's wide receiver when Garrison was drafted and supposedly close friends with Dandy Don Meredith off the field.  He was not a fan of Tom Landry or the cowboys organization.  The book was made into a movie in 1979 with Mac Davis playing the character based on Meredith and Nick Nolte as Gent's character.  I read it shortly after it came out in 1973.

Gent, according to Wikipedia, was one of the "self proclaimed" Mad Dogs.  Which included Shrake, Dan Jenkins and others.

North Dallas Forty: Peter Gent: 9780688001834: Amazon.com: Books

Great book as well!

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

It looks like the U.S. State Department is quite deliberately prohibiting any comments about the war crimes in Gaza--the bombing of women and children, and the blockade on food, water, electricity, and medical supplies.

One million of Gaza's 2.3 million trapped civilians are children.

Yesterday, the Washington Post published HRW video evidence of Israel dropping white phosphorous munitions on civilians in Gaza.

This is quite shocking, IMO, and will go down in history as a U.S. foreign policy abomination.

US State Dept. Officials Told Not to Use Terms 'De-Escalation/Cease-Fire' About Gaza (commondreams.org)

what drives a human to participate in this?  

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/10/14/hamas-nova-festival-attack-site-visit-cooper-dnt-ac360-vpx.cnn

22 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Leslie,

These Hamas murderers need to be hunted down and executed.  That's a given.

But the retaliatory bombing of 2.3 million trapped civilians in Gaza is a war crime.

It sounds like the Biden administration is privately urging Netanyahu to limit civilian casualties in Gaza, while avoiding any public criticism of the Israeli government.

Is there an acceptable solution to the crisis?  I don't have the answer.

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Leslie,

These Hamas murderers need to be hunted down and executed.  That's a given.

But the retaliatory bombing of 2.3 million trapped civilians in Gaza is a war crime.

It sounds like the Biden administration is privately urging Netanyahu to limit civilian casualties in Gaza, while avoiding any public criticism of the Israeli government.

Is there an acceptable solution to the crisis?  I don't have the answer.

I agree.

You might appreciate this perspective, although it's penned by someone not directly experiencing the horror in real time.

How to think morally about the Israel-Hamas war

Massacring civilians is neither decolonization nor self-defense.

https://www.vox.com/world-politics/23911550/israel-hamas-war-gaza-palestine-leftist-democrats

Edited by Leslie Sharp