The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

AH yes, Kirk, I remember that, as the following year Dusty moved on to my beloved Cubs. He then proceeded to destroy the elbows of our young pitching aces, and when we were 5 outs away from our 1st world Series in almost 60 years, he sat on his brains in the dugout while his players melted down on the field. I was scarred from that for a very long time and I'm not joking in the slightest.

7 years ago yesterday however, the world was made right.

And congratulations, Ron, it was great to see the Rangers franchise win their first WS. In some bizarre twist of fate, Frank Howard passed on Monday...

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

P.S. Then it occurred to. Why did you mention the Senators? The Senators moved to Minneapolis.

Kirk- after the owner of the Senators moved the franchise to the Twin Cities in 1960, DC was given an expansion franchise that was also named the Senators. That's the team that moved to Texas in '72.

I remember that '72 season really well, as I had almost completed the entire Topps collection that year just by buying cards in the store. That was a ton of bubble gum I went through that summer. The gum didn't taste much different than what I imagine the cards would have...

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Kirk- after the owner of the Senators moved the franchise to the Twin Cities in 1960, DC was given an expansion franchise that was also named the Senators. That's the team that moved to Texas in '72.

I remember that '72 season really well, as I had almost completed the entire Topps collection that year just by buying cards in the store. That was a ton of bubble gum I went through that summer. The gum didn't taste much different than what I imagine the cards would have...

I've always envied you baseball fans.

Denver didn't have a major league baseball team when I was a lad, and my father, brother, and I never watched or played baseball-- other than some informal, neighborhood games in the local park.

The detailed, encyclopedic knowledge of the sport by many American baseball fans-- including guys on this forum-- has always amazed me.  "So-and-so injured his elbow in the bottom of the 7th inning in 1963," etc.

It's America's game, but it was never my game.

Edited by W. Niederhut

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

It's America's game, but it was never my game.

Well, football is definitely giving it a run for its money; I'm sure Ron can tell you that football is like religion in the Lone Star state. It's been great for baseball there that Texas has now had the WS champs 2 years in a row

5 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

t's America's game, but it was never my game.

Mine either.  But it was my Dad's.  He played catcher in HS.  He also built a kit AM radio which he would listen to at night.  Only one station, WBAP.  Broadcasting Saint Louis games.  Years later he listened to the Rangers at the lake and farm regularly, on WBAP.  Before they went all Rush Limbaugh, Mark Davis, etc.  We went to a few games together over the years.

I love all 3 American sports.!  Baseball is what I was best in. I was 5-1 as a pitcher in Little League, and 13-0 as a fast pitch softball pitcher in junior high inter school competition. But when i got to high school, I decided you could get more girls in a R&R band and the British invasion was going on!

I don't think there's any question that Football is America's sport. Both Football and Basketball have monetized their sports very well in our lifetimes with Basketball being a truly International sport now. Baseball is too slow moving for the restless new young generations with their devices.

I'm glad they've speeded up the game. But now they face this question, why play 162 games a year if who ends up winning is the hottest team at the end of the season with a mediocre season record?

What exacerbates this now is insisting on having so may teams entered into the playoffs, that the best performing teams during the season get cold because they are forced to wait for these wild cards teams to eliminate one another.

18 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

It's a highly controversial subject but, honestly, I agree with Congresswoman Tlaib's criticism of Biden.

Biden and Blinken should have taken a stronger stand against Netanyahu's massacre of Palestinian civilians in Gaza.  More than 3,700 Palestinian children have been killed in Gaza during the past month.

And Biden and Blinken vetoed the UN resolution calling for a ceasefire in Gaza.

Satellite data now shows more than 1,000 bomb craters in Gaza-- associated with the widescale demolition of residential neighborhoods, schools, mosques, ambulances, and hospitals.  Israel has even bombed south Gaza, after telling the Palestinians to evacuate to the south.  

There have also been widespread, homicidal attacks on Palestinian civilians in the West Bank by Israeli settlers.

Basically, it has been open season on Palestinian civilians since October 7th-- accompanied by public calls for wiping out the Palestinians by Bibi Netanyahu, an Israeli MP, and some Orthodox rabbis.

13 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

agree with your excellent analysis and Congresswoman Tlaib's criticism. Biden's domestic policies have been right on target. No one else could have achieved the required bi-partisan legislative support.

But his foreign policy has been disastrous. First, the gross mishandling of U.S. military withdrawal from Afghanistan. This convinced Putin that because the U.S. military was in poor shape and poorly managed it was the right time for Russia to invade the Ukraine. When the Hamas-Israeli war broke out, Biden lost no time flying to Israel where he met with its war cabinet to plan the invasion of Gaza with no thought given then to the genocide that has ensued.

He has made travel abroad and living abroad by American a target for retribution.

I think all of this will catch up with Biden and he will not be the Democratic presidential nominee in 2024.

13 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

deleted

Edited by Douglas Caddy

I agree with your excellent analysis and Congresswoman Tlaib's criticism. Biden's domestic policies have been right on target. No one else could have achieved the required bi-partisan legislative support.

But his foreign policy has been disastrous. First, the gross mishandling of U.S. military withdrawal from Afghanistan. This convinced Putin that because the U.S. military was in poor shape and poorly managed it was the right time for Russia to invade the Ukraine. When the Hamas-Israeli war broke out, Biden lost no time flying to Israel where he met with its war cabinet to plan the invasion of Gaza with no thought given then to the genocide that has ensued.

He has made travel abroad and living abroad by American a target for retribution.

I think all of this will catch up with Biden and he will not be the Democratic presidential nominee in 2024.