The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

Was not aware that RFK Jr. is suing the Daily Kos, which is a bad look.

And equally unseemly imo, is using a lawyer that represented Alex Jones and Kyle Rittenhouse.

That's just straight-up vile.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/9/9/2192428/-RFK-Jr-has-filed-a-lawsuit-against-me-in-New-Hampshire-Guess-who-else-his-attorney-represents

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Home prices have increased by a whopping 60% since 2020. While in some sense that is good for homeowners, it is awful for everybody else. For some reason the inflation rate doesn't seem to account for that rise. Because I've noticed price increases in most everything else as well. Though not gas.

That said...

I'll bet that consumers are feeling the pinch because wages haven't risen near as much as costs have. I know that that is definitely the case in my household.

I've wondered if the reason unemployment rate is down is because people who haven't worked before (like house wives) have had to take jobs to make ends meet.

I've noticed in our neighborhood that the number of people living in one house has increased. Due to house sharing, subletting, adult kids moving home. We used to have no cars parked on the streets, but now there is overcrowding.

So while the economy is booming, the average joe is just getting by. As usual, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Whoa Matt: RFK extending his right wing slime connections.

Alex Jones's lawyer??. What a scumball thing to do!

You just think he'd be politically smarter.

I think the reason that people are down on the economy under Biden is that prices rose. Now it appears they've turned the tide on inflation, people were expecting prices to come down. Sorry folks, the only circumstance by which prices will come down substantially now would be a recession, a prospect that is overall much worse.

Unfortunately the corporations piggy backed on the inflation and increased their margins. It's estimated 40% of the extended inflation came from that. Unfortunately it happens so fast, the consumer can't tell which inflation is happening and why. But it would have happened under either Biden or Trump.

11 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Was not aware that RFK Jr. is suing the Daily Kos, which is a bad look.

And equally unseemly imo, is using a lawyer that represented Alex Jones and Kyle Rittenhouse.

That's just straight-up vile.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/9/9/2192428/-RFK-Jr-has-filed-a-lawsuit-against-me-in-New-Hampshire-Guess-who-else-his-attorney-represents

Whoa! ,RK Jr. obviously extending into his right slime connections.

Hiring Alex Jones? What a scumball thing to do.  You'd think he'd know better!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Apologies for the non-sequitur, fellas, but I wanted to post a follow up to the Bing Crosby/Sinatra discussion (above.)

As it turns out Cole Porter was paid $250,000 to compose a score for the 1956 film, High Society.

When Porter learned that Louis Armstrong and his band were going to perform in the film, he composed the terrific song, Now You Has Jazz, especially for Satchmo and his band.

Bing Crosby, Satchmo, and the band performed a version of the song for the ages in High Society, marred only by the fact that Crosby got mixed up about the identities of the band members.  He referred to pianist, Billy Kyle, as the bass player, and referred to jazz trombonist, Trummy Young, as the clarinet player.

Nevertheless, this classic is worth listening to, especially for those who haven't heard it.

(Louis Armstrong later performed this song on the Ed Sullivan Show, without Bing, but that ESS performance was not as great as this film original.)

Edited by W. Niederhut

6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

(Louis Armstrong later performed this song on the Ed Sullivan Show, without Bing, but that ESS performance was not as great as this film original.)

Louis Armstrong was my absolute favorite among the performers of the era. Which is saying a lot because I enjoyed watching them all perform. (I was a child of the 60s, BTW.)

For some reason I don't recall ever seeing Bing Crosby (!), though I do recall hearing his name a lot. This is odd because I have a vivid recollection of seeing all the other performers of the era. 1960s, that is.

P.S. I watched a lot of television shows, including the old B&W ones. But I didn't watch many movies, the old ones in particular. I wonder if that has anything to do with my not recalling Bing Crosby's face.

On 12/23/2023 at 7:57 PM, Sandy Larsen said:

Louis Armstrong was my absolute favorite among the performers of the era. Which is saying a lot because I enjoyed watching them all perform. (I was a child of the 60s, BTW.)

For some reason I don't recall ever seeing Bing Crosby (!), though I do recall hearing his name a lot. This is odd because I have a vivid recollection of seeing all the other performers of the era. 1960s, that is.

P.S. I watched a lot of television shows, including the old B&W ones. But I didn't watch many movies, the old ones in particular. I wonder if that has anything to do with my not recalling Bing Crosby's face.

Sandy,

My dad, a WWII vet, was a Bing Crosby fan, and I grew up listening to Bing Crosby's White Christmas album, with the Andrews Sisters.

It's still one of my favorites.

The song, I'll Be Home for Christmas, was a hit for American GIs fighting in the war in 1943, and I remember seeing a tear in my father's eye once when he was listening to Bing Crosby sing that song.

A lot of the men in my dad's WWII tank battalion (753rd) never made it home for Christmas.

Edited by W. Niederhut

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Sandy,

My dad, a WWII vet, was a Bing Crosby fan, and I grew up listening to Bing Crosby's White Christmas album, with the Andrews Sisters.

It's still one of my favorites.

The song, I'll Be Home for Christmas, was a hit for American GIs fighting in the war in 1945, and I remember seeing a tear in my father's eye once when he was listening to Bing Crosby sing that song.

A lot of the men in my dad's WWII tank battalion (753rd) never made it home for Christmas.

William,

When I read your post, the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas popped into my head. I just played it on YouTube, sung by Bing Crosby, and sure enough, it was on the old Christmas album my mom used to play every holiday season. I loved that album. The songs were sung by a number of well-known singers from the 50s and 60s. I recall that Burl Ives sang at least one of the songs, Have a Holly Jolly Christmas. I can't think of any others at the moment. But all the songs were great and I have fond memories of all the Christmases I had growing up when I think of any of those songs.

Merry Christmas everybody!

From today's New York Times article about the Ron Desantis campaign titled, "He Was the Antidote to Chaos, Then Came Internal Calamity":

"Ryan Tyson, Mr. DeSantis's longtime pollster and one of his closest advisers, has privately said to multiple people that they are now at the point in the campaign where they need to 'make the patient comfortable,' a phrase evoking hospice care."

Fight the robots': Alex Jones guest calls for 'deploying firearms' against AI

by David Edwards December 26, 2023

https://www.rawstory.com/alex-jones-artificial-intelligence/

“Adams recommended .338 Lapua Magnum ammunition because it was said to be the most effective against robots.

"Or you can tangle them up in wires, or you can drop trucks on them," he advised. "You know, you can run them over with vehicles. You can hit them with flamethrowers. There's a lot of ways to fight the robots."

I have no words. You have to read the article,

Steve Thomas