The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great meme, Kirk.

I have long believed that Social Democracy is the ideal system -- market capitalism regulated in the public interest.

State controlled economies don't work, and unregulated, laissez faire capitalism damages the public good, through exploitation of workers, pollution, etc.

IMO, a major looming crisis in the U.S. today is rents.  Many working people can't afford the costs of privately-owned, for-profit housing.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Well heck, it's pretty chilly for this part of the country, from what I read it's somewhat of a nationwide thing.  13 here now in north central Texas (chill factor -1,  Tomorrow will be the middle of a 3 day stretch below freezing.  I know it's nothing to say Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana or Idaho and many more states to the east in particular.  12 last night, 10 tonight and again tomorrow night, 14 Tuesday night.  High today of 15, hopefully mid 20's the next couple of days.  My heater has been running non stop, the natural gas investors should be grinning ear to ear.  After a mild December electric bill of $400 I dread seeing this months.  But I'm thankful the heater is still running after 3 years ago.  When I went to town this morning for a Sunday paper I saw a house on fire.  I feel sorry for those people, hope they are alright.

Winter Storm Updates: Subzero Wind Chills Felt Across the U.S. (msn.com)

44 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Well heck, it's pretty chilly for this part of the country, from what I read it's somewhat of a nationwide thing.  13 here now in north central Texas (chill factor -1,  Tomorrow will be the middle of a 3 day stretch below freezing.  I know it's nothing to say Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana or Idaho and many more states to the east in particular.  12 last night, 10 tonight and again tomorrow night, 14 Tuesday night.  High today of 15, hopefully mid 20's the next couple of days.  My heater has been running non stop, the natural gas investors should be grinning ear to ear.  After a mild December electric bill of $400 I dread seeing this months.  But I'm thankful the heater is still running after 3 years ago.  When I went to town this morning for a Sunday paper I saw a house on fire.  I feel sorry for those people, hope they are alright.

Winter Storm Updates: Subzero Wind Chills Felt Across the U.S. (msn.com)

It's been sub-zero here in Denver all weekend, Ron, and I always worry about our furnace breaking down under such conditions.  I have a gas log fireplace as a back-up, but haven't needed it thus far.

It sounds like Texas has changed some rules and regulations to prevent a replay of the crisis you experienced during your last deep freeze.

Stay warm.

10 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Great meme, Kirk.

I have long believed that Social Democracy is the ideal system -- market capitalism regulated in the public interest.

State controlled economies don't work, and unregulated, laissez faire capitalism damages the public good, through exploitation of workers, pollution, etc.

IMO, a major looming crisis in the U.S. today is rents.  Many working people can't afford the costs of privately-owned, for-profit housing.

Agreed W.! Add to that, wealth inequality and taxation, climate change, universal health care,

But in another world, Little Marco endorses Trump!

How my day started...  😱

Me:  "Alexa, what's the weather?"

Alexa:  "Currently, in Denver, it's -2 degrees.  Today, you can expect snowy weather, with a high of -1 and a low of -14 degrees."

1705271098249.jpg?w=1920

Edited by W. Niederhut

Back in 2017, I wrote an essay in the Forum called,

"Donald Trump Channels Eva Peron".

https://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/23360-donald-trump-channels-eva-peron/#comment-342006

The thesis was that there are common elements that run through both. These are:

I am you and you are me.

Together, we fight the oligarchy.

God is on our side.

I would die for you.

Ergo

Will you die for me?

Today, Trump's supporters have been asked that ultimate question.

Steve Thomas 

For the next week we'll have to debate what the cause was for the pathetic turnout in Iowa tonight; was it the weather? Lack of enthusiasm for Trump? A combination of both?

New Hampshire will be far more telling, IMO, as to what Trump's actual support numbers really are.

Very much looking forward to REAL DATA, instead of polls lol