The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

If only Dick Cheney could convince Donald Trump to go hunting with him... 🤥

Good one.  I really needed a laugh, thanks.

Edited by Ron Bulman

8 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Senator Michael Bennett (D-Colorado) has now called for Biden to step down.

Bennett used to live across the alley from us here in Denver's West Washington Park area.

I'd wave to him when he drove down the alley in his BMW, but I didn't really know him.

At the time, he was Superintendent of the Denver Public Schools, before Gov. Bill Ritter appointed him to the U.S. Senate (to replace Ken Salazar, Obama's Secretary of the Interior.)

Bennett is highly intelligent and ethical-- a liberal centrist.

Yeah W. Bennett was sort of the most forgettable Democratic candidate for President in 2020.  But light years cooler than the most forgettable Republican candidate in 2024, Doug Burghum!

A little easier on the eyes too.

Bennett dropped out I think in New Hampshire.

Seems like years ago. Maybe it was. Biden challenges Trump to a debate.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

I've got the perfect solution to the Biden issue. It should make everybody happy.

For the folks who think Biden is too old, let's choose another candidate. Even though we have no idea if the change will improve or worsen the odds of beating Trump, and even though changing candidates midstream is usually a bad idea.

The next step is to choose a candidate to replace Biden. The best choice would be Kamala Harris, given that she polls better against Trump than any other candidate. (With the exception of Biden.)

Okay now, here is where my idea has a twist. As I mentioned, changing candidates midstream is usually a bad idea. Wouldn't it be better if we could wait and see how Biden does in the second debate before tossing him out? In fact, wouldn't it be great if we could wait till just before election day to see if ANYTHING bad happens?

Actually, there IS a way to do just that! Simply let the Biden/Harris ticket run its normal course. If anything awful happens, like another poor debate performance, simply swap Harris in for Biden as the presidential candidate at that time. There's no need to decide now.

4 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Okay now, here is where my idea has a twist. As I mentioned, changing candidates midstream is usually a bad idea. Wouldn't it be better if we could wait and see how Biden does in the second debate before tossing him out?

So the idea here is that if Biden does well - it's a coin flip whether or not he's functional at any point in the future - 1 good debate performance vs. 1 bad one.  Small sample, but that's all we got.

And then 50% of OK & 50% of incapable of functioning is better than 100% of awful.

OK so far.  But...

Here's the problem: (according to 538)

• While Trump has a 54% unfavorable rating vs 42% favorable
  • Biden has has 57% unfavorable to 38% favorable 
  • People don't like either one but amazingly Biden fares worse

Why does the Democratic Party insist on nominating candidates people do not like?

3 minutes ago, Bill Fite said:

Here's the problem: (according to 538)

• While Trump has a 54% unfavorable rating vs 42% favorable
  • Biden has has 57% unfavorable to 38% favorable 
  • People don't like either one but amazingly Biden fares worse

That 57% unfavorable for Biden means nothing as far as the voting will go. Most the Democrats in this room would give an unfavorable rating at the moment. But I guarantee that they all will vote for Biden in November.

The same can't be said for Republican votes and Trump. For multiple reasons, one being that Democrats are more picky than Republicans. They complain more about their candidates. Just look at you and me... I like both Hillary and Biden, you like neither.

Sandy is right. A lot of young voters would say they disapprove of Biden, yet will undoubtedly for him over Trump.

People on here that don't like Biden, like Kirk, will hold their nose and vote for Biden.

Also, do you really believe Joe Biden is somehow equal on any awfulness scale as Donald Trump? Do you really think most of America thinks so? I don't. And there is zero scientific evidence to suggest such a situation.

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Also, do you really believe Joe Biden is somehow equal on any awfulness scale as Donald Trump? Do you really think most of America thinks so? I don't. And there is zero scientific evidence to suggest such a situation.

Let me clarify:

50% good is OK (Biden) when  compared to 100% awful (Trump).

Dead candidates (Mel Carnahan, for example) have won elections against bad candidates.

If, the Democratic Nominee, whoever it is, were to pass away after the convention and before the election I would prefer that the deceased or any other candidate win over Trump.

I do believe that if the Democrats nominate a candidate that doesn't appeal to more voters - the election will be a con flip when it could have been a slam dunk Democratic victory.

Edited by Bill Fite

2 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

The best choice would be Kamala Harris, given that she polls better against Trump than any other candidate.

If that is the best solution - then invoking the 25th Amendment would be the way to go about it.   From the Amendment:

"Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President."

At that point the process becomes 'sticky' as Biden could then send a letter that he is able and if the VP & officers claim he is still unable -  Congress decides the issue with a 2/3 vote necessary to keep the VP in place.