The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I wonder why sizing of letters is disabled in some posts?

If your editing window isn't big enough to fit all the command icons along the top (Bold, Italic, Underline. etc.), some of the leftmost ones won't appear. And so you cannot change a font size or color, for example.)

If you are using Windows, temporarily maximize the window and then you should be able to change the font size.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

I actually HOPE we’re now in uncharted waters here, and not in some horrible repeat of 1968.

Curious -- are you expecting:

• An assassination of the leading and most famous liberal candidate?
  • An assassination of the leading civil rights leader?
  • Trump and Bannon plotting to sabotage Paris Peace talks?
  • The VP being the nominee and refusing to condemn the war in SE Asia which is sending the kids down the street back in boxes?
  • Student demonstrations at the Democratic Convention evolving into riots put down brutally by police?

Any of those things like in 1968?

Edited by Bill Fite

46 minutes ago, Bill Fite said:

Curious -- are you expecting:

Are you familiar with the candidate that stepped down in 1968? And the one that ultimately took the nomination in Chicago?

I'm hoping the same outcome doesn't occur from the aftermath of Chicago 2024.

Edited by Matt Allison

16 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Are you familiar with the candidate that stepped down in 1968? And the one that ultimately took the nomination in Chicago?

I'm hoping the same outcome doesn't occur from the aftermath of Chicago 2024.

So then I assume you are hoping that the VP is not the nominee and will go down to defeat not breaking w the policies of Biden?  since that's about the only thing I can see is similar on the Dem side.

20 minutes ago, Bill Fite said:

So then I assume you are hoping that the VP is not the nominee and will go down to defeat not breaking w the policies of Biden?  since that's about the only thing I can see is similar on the Dem side.

Since you're having so much difficulty with this, I'll spell it out for you:

A political party that switches their Presidential nominee in the months leading up to the election, has never won the election.

IOW, the odds are that Donald Trump just guaranteed his return to office, and thus, the end of U.S. democracy as generally known up to this point.

1 minute ago, Matt Allison said:

A political party that switches their Presidential nominee in the months leading up to the election, has never won the election.

IOW, the odds are that Donald Trump just guaranteed his return to office, and thus, the end of U.S. democracy as generally known up to this point.

James K. Polk emerged as a Dark Horse nominee, after Van Buren failed to secure a majority on repeated convention ballots.

20 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Well there ya go - it's all over then.  The Dems should just not field a candidate in your world.

Oh and by the way - by your logic a political party that nominated a woman has never won in the United States.  

Does that mean you are against nominating women for president?

1 minute ago, Matt Allison said:

Do your questions to me today indicate you're suffering from some sort of head trauma?

Just pointing out that I think your logic and comparisons are off.

This isn't 1968.   

The main issue now will be explaining why the Democratic Party kept Biden's condition hidden, but that will pass in a week or two.

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

That's simply wrong Matt. In addition to James Polk.

Franklin Pierce was added on the 35th ballot and nominated on the 49th ballot and became President! And the fact that he was an unknown actually helped!

Rutherford Hayes in 1876. (7th ballot)

James Garfield in 1880.      (36th ballot)

Warren G. Harding in 1920 (10th ballot)

All of these were Dark Horses and all 4 won!

Hubert Humphrey who got the nomination after RFK was killed, was the VP under LBJ Just like Harris. The thing that poisoned Humphrey was that he didn't want to be too dovish against the VN war because it was his boss's war. The critical thing that derailed his campaign at the beginning were the Chicago riots where Humphrey started the campaign down 15 points and ended up pulling within 1% at election day and losing.

I would expect that there aren't going to be huge riots at this convention or it will be the Dems stupid fault!

Any efforts by the Republicans  to stop the this change will backfire!

I'm hearing pundits say that there isn't sufficient time to know the candidates.

I think that's BS!

We don't have to have a year and a half process every 4 years to pick a President. People also shouldn't have to feel like they could have to have a beer with the President! They could probably find out everything they need to know in a week or month, but they're too lazy to even read!

And we don't have to have a year process every 2 years to elect a Congressman either.

* Thanks Sandy, I am maximized and I still don't have the sizing option.