The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Cliff- possibly my biggest missed-show regret is not seeing the Groovies when they played a small club here in Chicago called the Beat Kitchen a few years back. I have no idea what the hell I was thinking. My head was clearly up mu ass on that one. They still play shows, but basically never leave Northern California now.

Speaking of beats, did any of you guys ever see the English Beat in concert?

I saw them about 40 years ago when they were in their prime.

Andy Cox later left to form the Fine Young Cannibals.

Saxa died a few years ago, but I think David Wakeling and Ranking Roger are still around somewhere.

I still get a kick out of their old recordings.

33 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Speaking of beats, did any of you guys ever see the English Beat in concert?

Hi W- yes, I saw them in 83' in Champaign, IL. I went to the show to see a very young REM as the opener, but The English Beat did for sure put on a great show.

13 hours ago, Bill Fite said:

Just saw that Jerry Miller, lead guitarist & 805 co-writer for Moby Grape has also left the building.

Always liked Mayall.  Saw him open for ZZTop.

A list of the big names still in the building from 1963-72 (the real 60s) includes but is not limited to:

* Bob Weir & Phil Lesh 

* Jorma, Grace & Jack Cassidy from the Airplane

* Carlos Santana

* Ray and Dave Davies 

* Pete & Roger

* Ringo & McCartney

* Ian Anderson

* Justin Hayward 

* Mick & Keith

* Rod Stewart & Ronny Wood

* Garth Hudson

* Richard Thompson

* Ry Cooder

* Taj Mahal

* Linda Rondstadt 

* Rodger McGuinn & Chris Hillman

* Elton J

* John McGlaughlin

* Stills & Young

* Brian Wilson

etc.

It's starting to approach the size of a Ringo's Allstar Band.

Bill, Great song, I used to do 805 in a duo. I used to see Jerry Miller  solo in the Santa Cruz Mountain music scene.

Bill, These are all musicians you've seen? Very cool!

Yes, W. I've seen the English Beat, with the Dead, Beach Boys, Gladys Knight, Joe Jackson, , Jimmy Cliff, Yellow Man, Rick James, Peter Tosh, Rita Marley in Jamaica  Sun Splash in 1983.

4 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

These are all musicians you've seen?

Hi Kirk, I've seen almost all of them (no Beatles, not Stills), most at what I think was their peak and in theatres or outdoors not in stadiums.  

I remember being pissed off when Dylan had the nerve to charge $20 for a ticket in 1972 or 73.   I think that was the end of the 60s myself either that or the Stones Exile tour in 72 which I was fortunate enough to see in great seats. 

There were a lot of others that I saw later in smaller venues that weren't big names in the 60s - Steve Goodman, John Hartford, John Prine, Silly Wizard, Battlefield Band, New Grass Revival (saw them 23 times), Beausoleil and Emmylou (5 different lineups) all multiple times.

And I was fortunate enough to catch these legends - Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys (Kenny Baker) in a high school gym, Muddy Waters (w Clarence Pine Top Perkins, Willie Big Eyes Smith and Jerry Portnoy) at the first Chicago Fest, Stephane Grappelli (3x), Wynton Marsalis (9 piece group), King Sunny Adé, Taj Mahal (2x), Ry Cooder w David Lindley, the David Grisman Quintette (O'Conner version), Johnny Cash w the Carter Family & Carl Perkins, Ella Fitzgerald.

Also saw great speeches by Rod Serling, R. Buckminster Fuller & Sen Eugene McCarthy.

@Matt Allison  Was Ruby Gulch still around when you were in Champaign?

That's an impressive array of artists.

I got that way too around 72. $20 bucks!, I boycotted the big name bands because I thought they had become too greedy!

I just to happen to come across this travel clip of Carcassonne. Looks like a cool fortress city! These brits loved it! They asked, 'why does nobody come here?"  I bet that's fine with you!

I was in Florence and Rome in early June thinking maybe the kids weren't out of school'

It was cool, but a complete tourist zoo!

The canyons I forgot the name of  were the Gorges de Verdun.

https://youtu.be/_dgWrPovul8

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

This Vanity Fair article on RFK Jr. is rather damning, but in a Kennedy clan believable way!  He's portrayed as a somewhat disturbed person that no one in the family has the guts to expose!

I'd say obviously they don't like what he's doing and fear he could do harm to the country, that also reflects on their family.  And now they  hear that RK would offer his voters for a Medical Post in Trump's Cabinet ??

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/story/robert-kennedy-jr-shocking-history

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

53 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Excellent - if this holds it will kill 2 birds w 1 stone

* defeat Trump

* destroy the myth that Mrs C. lost because she was a woman and Jill Stein ran on the Green ticket.

Edited by Bill Fite

It's understandable with the fluid political situation that of late we have been posting polls about every day. I did want to resist that.  But this Fox poll is breaking  new ground!

I know this was Bill and I's hunch. These 2 candidates were as unpopular and as old as any candidates ever! It had to mean that if given a different choice many more voters would come out.

Is this an outlier or a real trend to the upside?

GTmgRgnWkAA7-na?format=jpg&name=900x900

15 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Cliff- possibly my biggest missed-show regret is not seeing the Groovies when they played a small club here in Chicago called the Beat Kitchen a few years back. I have no idea what the hell I was thinking. My head was clearly up mu ass on that one. They still play shows, but basically never leave Northern California now.

Tell us more about the shows you have attended.  Big Black?  Articles of Faith?  The Effigies?  Naked Raygun?