The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

Trump tells court he had no duty to 'support' the Constitution as president

by Matthew Chapman October 11, 2023

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-wont-support-constitution/

“Former President Donald Trump is arguing to a judge in Colorado that he was not required to "support" the Constitution as president, reported Brandi Buchman from Law & Crime.

The argument came as he seeks to dismiss a lawsuit filed in the state by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), seeking to have him disqualified from the ballot in the state under the 14th Amendment. The Insurrection Clause of the amendment prohibits those who have "engaged in insurrection" against the United States from holding a civil, military, or elected office unless a two-thirds majority of the House and Senate approve.

But Trump's lawyers are arguing that the specific language of the Constitution argues that this requirement only applies to people in offices who are bound to "support" the Constitution — and the presidency is not one of those offices.

"The Presidential oath, which the framers of the Fourteenth Amendment surely knew, requires the President to swear to 'preserve, protect and defend' the Constitution — not to 'support' the Constitution," said the filing by Trump's attorneys. "Because the framers chose to define the group of people subject to Section Three by an oath to 'support' the Constitution of the United States, and not by an oath to 'preserve, protect and defend' the Constitution, the framers of the Fourteenth Amendment never intended for it to apply to the President."”

So there.

Steve Thomas

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/10/2023 at 7:16 PM, Leslie Sharp said:

Thanks for sharing Cole's thought provoking analysis.

In spite of the headline on YouTube, Channel 4 provides a degree of balanced reporting here:

Thanks Leslie,

You do have to wonder what Hamas was thinking. Sure they have lot of hostages, but they murdered so many innocent people! They had to know that Israel will be so mad they'll be quite willing to lose some hostages, and wreak 20 times the destruction and kill considerably more people  first.

Of course many of us have been saying for decades there should be a 2 state solution.. Netanyahu has been around since the 80's, and now he just thinks he's indispensable  and just won't leave! Earlier this year, I was praying to Jerusalem that he was going to be finished for good, and then he forms that coalition with the super right wing!

I don't put much faith in the Bible prophecies but I'm hoping after all this is over, that people finally get rid of Netanyahu, he's been an antagonist to the Palestinians, and he's been overselling his "peace through strength" crap. Hopefully people will put it together when only a couple of weeks ago  he was so rosy about the peace talks with the Saudis, and ignoring the situation at home,  so that now he's been caught with his pants down. JMO

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

God bless Bernie Sanders!

This is another reason why I voted for Bernie in our 2016 and 2020 state primaries.

The man has been consistently right about U.S. healthcare, education, tax, and labor policies.

But he is also the only prominent American politician who has had the courage and integrity to condemn the bombing of civilians-- including women and children-- in Gaza this week.

Apparently, 40% of Gaza's 2.3 million residents are children.

Sanders Says 'Children and Innocent People Do Not Deserve to Be Punished for Acts of Hamas' (commondreams.org)

Saudi Arabia is talking to Iran, its enemy.

Head of Hamas says Russia is backing it and has given it arms.

In retaliation for allegations that Israel is committing genocide on two million Palestinians in Gaza and for the U.S. backing Israel, I fear $ retaliation by these three-oil producing countries is in the works.

I may be totally wrong on this, but I am filling my car's gas tank today.

5 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:
Saudi Arabia is talking to Iran, its enemy.

Head of Hamas says Russia is backing it and has given it arms.

In retaliation for allegations that Israel is committing genocide on two million Palestinians in Gaza and for the U.S. backing Israel, I fear $ retaliation by these three-oil producing countries is in the works.

I may be totally wrong on this, but I am filling my car's gas tank today.

Gas prices are worrisome, Doug, but what really worries me is the prospect of Sunnis and Shiites uniting in a global jihad against Israel.

It could be potentially catastrophic-- even nuclear.

A sad day for Texas football fans.  A hero of mine in my youth and still today, I have a picture of him with his arm over my shoulder.  A rodeo cowboy and football player Fighting Farmer at Lewisville HS, recruited to be a linebacker as an Oklahoma State Cowboy he led the Big 8 in rushing as a Sr.  Drafted in 1965 by the Deluxe Plowboys.  RIP.

Edited by Ron Bulman

15 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

A sad day for Texas football fans.  A hero of mine in my youth and still today, I have a picture of him with his arm over my shoulder.  A rodeo cowboy and football player Fighting Farmer at Lewisville HS, recruited to be a linebacker as an Oklahoma State Cowboy he led the Big 8 in rushing as a Sr.  Drafted in 1965 by the Deluxe Plowboys.  RIP.

Yeah, I saw that obit, Ron.  Sad.  Walt Garrison was one tough cowboy.

I saw him many years ago (in the 80s) when he made a surprise guest appearance on the Dan Reeves Show here in Denver one night, promoting his book, Once a Cowboy, Always a Cowboy.

Dan Reeves' face really lit up when Walt Garrison walked onto the set.  You could tell that Dan was very fond of Garrison.

At one point during the show, Garrison said something like, "Yeah, the Cowboys made me and Dan roommates, probably because I was the only guy on the team who could understand what Dan was saying."   😂

(Reeves always spoke with a heavy Georgia drawl.)

Edited by W. Niederhut

Walt is still 4th on the team in yards per carry I read today.  4.2 or 3. or more.  

Dick Butkus told him words to the effect of if you come my way again I'm going to eat you up.  Walt said that'll be the first time you ever had any brains in your head.

18 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

What was the great book about these guys??

26 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

What was the great book about these guys??

Leslie,

I just looked on Amazon.  Walt Garrison's autobiography, Once a Cowboy, is selling for $125.

He wrote another one entitled, Then Landry Said to Staubach, that is available on Kindle (and as a used hardback.)

4 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Leslie,

I just looked on Amazon.  Walt Garrison's autobiography, Once a Cowboy, is selling for $125.

He wrote another one entitled, Then Landry Said to Staubach, that is available on Kindle (and as a used hardback.)

Thanks but that's not the book I'm thinking of.  I think it was Bud Shrake??