The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug, I think you might like this, Bill Maher Overtime with Seth Mac Farlane, ,Adam Schiff and Steven A. Smith.

Now 2  good Covid debates. IMO Seth Mac Farlane sticks to facts and hijacks Bill Maher's appeals to the right wing Covid deniers.

Now watch Bill Burr do the same to Joe Rogan.  i still maintain nobody is more unfunny than a pumped up comedian into martial arts.

Cool W. Rotaan sounds nice!

Bluster?  I'm beginning to wonder how this will play out.  I'm thankful I don't live close to the border.  In spite of the numbers I read about crossing in the last several years I don't see much effect locally so far.  Yes, there are a lot of Hispanics around but most I know of have jobs, houses, kids in school.  They are near 50% of the states population but have been approaching that for years.  No tent encampments, no one walking the streets or highways, begging or stealing near hear I've heard of.  I guess they are all going to the bigger cities.  But I really don't see much about that in the news.

Texas Forces Digging In, Abbott 'Prepared' for a Conflict with Feds (msn.com)

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

FYI, amigos, my wife and I are sailing from Galveston tomorrow on a one week cruise to the Yucatan and Roatan island.

I decided not to spend $175 for internet service on the ship, so I'll be incommunicado for awhile.

I hate to miss out on this week's news and memes about the messianic vigilante MAGA convoy heading for the border-- and additional damaging Trump court verdicts-- but it's the price I have to pay to thaw out in the tropics.

Salud y pesetas.

Enjoy.  Just Galveston sounds nice to me at the moment.  Went there on my 60th birthday, end of October several years back, it was pretty well deserted, nice.  I can't afford to go to Rotan Texas at the moment after my latest electric bill ($654) though I have no desire to go there (former home of Sammy Baugh).  

Yeah Yikes Ron.! This is what I mean by an oiligarchy slave state. You guys are treated so poorly. But your state is so energy rich! It just seems one of these days the population has got to rebel!

Matt, it would be interesting to know what you typically  pay as I've heard about the freezing temperatures lately there.

But in fairness. I don't mean to rub it it in. I've never paid $200! Tomorrow's high for the playoffs  is 73!   But in part, because of that, the cost of housing is insane!

40 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Yeah Yikes Ron.! This is what I mean by an oiligarchy slave state. You guys are treated so poorly. But your state is so energy rich! It just seems one of these days the population has got to rebel!

Matt, it would be interesting to know what you typically  pay as I've heard about the freezing temperatures lately there.

But in fairness. I don't mean to rub it it in. I've never paid $200! Tomorrow's high for the playoffs  is 73!   But in part, because of that, the cost of housing is insane!

Texas politicians are definitely the biggest assh-les!

c6xgcfopb2fc1.png

On 1/27/2024 at 1:04 AM, Matt Allison said:

Things are getting worse for Trump, and I don't personally see a realistic scenario where that changes.

Yeah, that's for sure.

Nobody has mentioned Nikki Haley's latest strategy, having switched to anti-Trump attack dog.

Wow, I haven't heard anybody lay it on at well as Nikki does against Trump. And she has Republican voters as her audience! (Unlike the anti-Trump commentators I see on MSNBC.) Not to mention independents.

She may not gain a lot of votes for Biden, but she's certainly going to lose some for Trump. Remember, Republican voters haven't heard a lot of what she says about Trump because they get their news from Fox, etc.

Hopefully she doesn't drop out when she loses in her home state, South Carolina. Unfortunately, that is coming up soon. Around the end of February, I think. She may stay in the race if only in case Trump gets a criminal conviction. Or dies.

Texas’ Border Stunt Is Based on the Same Legal Theory Confederate States Used to Secede

by Rotimi Adeoye January 28, 2024

https://www.thedailybeast.com/texas-border-stunt-is-based-on-a-confederate-legal-theory?ref=home?ref=home

Gov. Greg Abbott says the federal government has “broken the compact between the United States and the States” with its immigration policies.

Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp#:~:text=Thus%2520the%2520constituted%2520compact%2520has%2520been%2520deliberately%2520broken%2520and%2520disregarded%2520by%2520the%2520non%252Dslaveholding%2520States%252C%2520and%2520the%2520consequence%2520follows%2520that%2520South%2520Carolina%2520is%2520released%2520from%2520her%2520obligation.

“The parties to whom this Constitution was submitted, were the several sovereign States; they were to agree or disagree, and when nine of them agreed the compact was to take effect among those concurring; and the General Government, as the common agent, was then invested with their authority.

If only nine of the thirteen States had concurred, the other four would have remained as they then were-- separate, sovereign States, independent of any of the provisions of the Constitution. In fact, two of the States did not accede to the Constitution until long after it had gone into operation among the other eleven; and during that interval, they each exercised the functions of an independent nation.

By this Constitution, certain duties were imposed upon the several States, and the exercise of certain of their powers was restrained, which necessarily implied their continued existence as sovereign States. But to remove all doubt, an amendment was added, which declared that the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people. On the 23d May , 1788, South Carolina, by a Convention of her People, passed an Ordinance assenting to this Constitution, and afterwards altered her own Constitution, to conform herself to the obligations she had undertaken.

Thus was established, by compact between the States, a Government with definite objects and powers, limited to the express words of the grant. This limitation left the whole remaining mass of power subject to the clause reserving it to the States or to the people, and rendered unnecessary any specification of reserved rights.

We hold that the Government thus established is subject to the two great principles asserted in the Declaration of Independence; and we hold further, that the mode of its formation subjects it to a third fundamental principle, namely: the law of compact. We maintain that in every compact between two or more parties, the obligation is mutual; that the failure of one of the contracting parties to perform a material part of the agreement, entirely releases the obligation of the other; and that where no arbiter is provided, each party is remitted to his own judgment to determine the fact of failure, with all its consequences.”

Steve Thomas

16 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Your electric bill is mind-boggling, Ron holy crap.

Sammy Baugh, there's a name I haven't heard in many years. Was he a QB for the Redskins?

Yeah, before that the Fort Worth Frogs.  Bought a ranch outside Rotan (a Sixman football town, pop. 1380?).  Lived  to be 94 and died there.

Sammy Baugh | Pro Football Hall of Fame (profootballhof.com)

I've mentioned before that in 2024, there will be 30 million more Gen Z voters than there were in 2016, the year of Trump's one and only fluke electoral victory, and that the most basic problem Trump faces is that there simply aren't enough votes for him to win again.

His inevitable loss in November is purely a matter of math.

"Four-times-indicted former president Donald Trump has been successfully selling white Christian nostalgia, racism and xenophobia to his base. However, the Public Religion Research Institute’s massive poll of 6,616 participants suggests that what works with his base might pose an insurmountable problem with Gen Z teens and Gen Z adults (who are younger than 25)."

free to read: https://wapo.st/3udBnbl

21 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Kirk- we use natural gas for our heating and stove here, so that's the bill that gets unpleasant in the 4 winter months; usually a couple hundred bucks a month. Electric bill is always under 200, even if we're running the AC a fair amount in the summer. Illinois actually has one of the lowest electricity costs in the country. So despite both my wife and I working from home the majority of the time, we end up doin ok.