The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

Biden, obviously was offended by the Trump appointee  Hur's commentary and thought he had overstepped and got too personal  and revealed things of a sitting President that should have been left unsaid.  it does look like Hur is unconvinced that Biden is not guilty but conjectures that Biden would never be convicted because a jury would compassionately give him a pass because he's a weak frail old man. Unlike Trump, I don't think there was any malicious or self serving intent in taking those files, and it sounds like Hur is getting his pound of flesh back at Biden for the 91 felony counts on Trump, but the bottom line is he did exonerate Biden.

Then when Biden was insulted at the allegation that Biden himself couldn't remember details about his own sons death. He fights back, goes on the air and forgets  the award that his son got and called it called the"Lady of --------and couldn't remember "Guadalupe."

Doug: Biden has had it. He is too old. His foreign policy mistakes are leading the world to nuclear war.

About the policy mistakes,  maybe I'll address that later. There's too much sh-t coming to a head. Doug, from what I gather you're about 12-13 years older than me. Being closer to Biden's age, I assume you can in part relate  to Biden's situation. He needs a super dose of Prevagen, if that works at all!

I confess,  just the other day, I had a hard time recalling George Santos's name, and he's been in the news a lot! I don't think that impairs any of Biden's policy judgments, but it looks absolutely horrible and is a definite liability in the election. Not that Trump's gaffes are any better, but he at least projects a robustness and an insincere cockiness that a lot of people find appealing, and overlook his mistakes.   

I have spent many years watching my Father's gradual demise before his death at 101, and can tell you there were several years  that if you asked him what was the year my Mother died. He couldn't tell you but that wouldn't impair his judgment in the his present reality, and he exhibited good judgment.

W. --I've made no secret of the fact that I have disagreed, since October, with Biden's support for Netanyahu's bombing of Gaza.  Biden, himself, now seems to recognize his mistake, and the risk of being drawn into the longstanding Israeli/Neocon plan to engage the U.S. in a war with Iran.

As you know, I agree with you W. but I don't think Biden has made any any recognition or realized that he has made a mistake. If you see the arc of what is politically possible. I can tell you Biden's actions have been  completely predictable. The vast majority of people and the Congress don't agree with your or my position , including people in this conversation right now. Discounting that reality is akin to a Trumpist discounting us as  sheep and pro establishment for being outraged at the insurrection and Trump's attempts to throw the election, when in reality we are a solid majority,  or Di Eugenio inferring that we're Cold War neocons because we don't walk in lockstep with him and his mentor Oliver Stone about Putin. 

There was no way Biden could take an action against Israel from the onset, as it would show America to not have any credibility as an ally. In the political sphere, once alliances start breaking down., then all bets are off! But that's not to mention it would be Biden's political suicide to  soon turn on Israel after the Hamas terrorism. For  the first few months,  he couldn't do anything any faster than he has. He has a more Herculean task before him than any President in recent memory.   At this point, he has to conspire and drum up support among all the neighbors in the region for a Palestinian state, because Netanyahu is probably not going to be out of office this year.

But is he up to it? We all know the stakes are higher than they've ever been. At this moment, you could make a  case that  his beginning stages of dementia are no worse than Reagan's as his son once said in an interview that Reagan was never the same after he was shot, which occurred in the first 3 months of his Presidency, and he served for another 8 years after that!

Up to now, I've discounted these polls and felt Biden would win. But for you guys who are circling the wagons with Biden, you have to keep in mind, we are talking about Biden, the candidate here. We've already witnessed a decline in Biden! How much worse may it get this year with the pressures of the campaign? Given the present decline, whose to say that the gaffes couldn't  become much worse.? And if Biden does win, how much more in another 4 years? Would a Jerry Mahoney dummy with a competent staff and Kamala Harris be worth denying  a deranged tyrant who assaults our democracy? People may end up coming to the realization that that is what the Democrats may be  selling. "Don't go to the apocalypse," but a lot of people are not convinced that we would be going to an apocalypse.

Despite all the hand wringing about the DNC affecting the outcome of the primaries, we might end up being thankful, for their intervention. But how is that going to happen, unless somebody comes forward, and changes the equation? 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I sympathize with the Democratic impulse to circle the wagons around Biden -- given the dire threat of a second Trump Presidency-- but I also wish that wiser consultants (Obama? Axelrod?) could convince Biden to step down and let Gavin Newsome carry the 2024 torch.

I'm certainly a huge fan of Gavin Newsom. But let's say your suggestion had backing; how do you do such a thing with Kamala Harris right in the middle of such an equation?

4 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

I'm certainly a huge fan of Gavin Newsom. But let's say your suggestion had backing; how do you do such a thing with Kamala Harris right in the middle of such an equation?

Matt,

Harris was Biden's choice, all along.  I watched the 2020 Democratic primary debates, and Harris was not that popular with Democratic voters, including me.

I have nothing against her, but Biden should have put Elizabeth Warren on the ticket, IMO.

Biden, himself, barely won the 2020 nomination.

The Wall Street DNC establishment has repeatedly sabotaged Progressives.

5 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

I guess what I'm inferring is that replacing Biden with anyone else means the first person in line for such a job would be Kamala Harris. It's a safe bet she feels that way as well.

Matt,

To re-phrase my point, (above) Harris was Biden's choice, not the Democratic (primary) voters' choice-- after Biden eked out the nomination victory over Bernie and Elizabeth Warren in 2020.

Harris ran a distant 5th or 6th in the 2020 Democratic primaries, behind Biden, Bernie, Warren, and Buttigieg.

Newsome didn't run in 2020.

2 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Yep, I'm aware. But she's the one that's been a heartbeat away from the Presidency for three years now, and has been integral to the administration. I don't see a scenario where Newsom would suddenly jump in line ahead of her.

No Matt, she's not automatically entitled because she's VP. If Biden were to get ill and/or back out now. It  would be a jump start open race. I think the only situation by which Harris becomes President is if Biden dies or becomes incapacitated.

Both the DNC and the RNC are pretty similar in they'll back who they think is the strongest candidate to be elected President. But they can become overruled as they were with Trump in 2016, Mc Govern in 72, and Goldwater in 64.

18 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

As I mentioned, Biden, himself, has recently recognized his blunders in backing Netanyahu's Gaza genocide.

No he hasn't. Just as I predicted... first embrace Netanyahu to get his ear. Then try to temper him... which I believe worked. (That is to say, I think the genocide would have been much worse had it not been for Biden. ) Now Biden steps back because he's done all he can.

As for Blinken, I don't know how you can blame him for Netanyahu's decision not to have a cease fire.

2 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

No he hasn't. Just as I predicted... first embrace Netanyahu to get his ear. Then try to temper him... which I believe worked. (That is to say, I think the genocide would have been much worse had it not been for Biden. ) Now Biden steps back because he's done all he can.

As for Blinken, I don't know how you can blame him for Netanyahu's decision not to have a cease fire.

Sandy,

C'mon, man.   Biden and Blinken vetoed two UN cease-fire resolutions to put a halt to Netanyahu's Gaza genocide, while aggressively sending Bibi bombs and other military equipment.  Ergo, Biden and Blinken have been actively complicit in Bibi's ethnic cleansing of Gaza.

Now Biden has, apparently, realized that he bungled Gaza -- perhaps partly because his blunder may cost him Michigan.  He is also worried now-- finally-- that his support for Netanyahu is potentially drawing the U.S. into another catastrophic war in the Middle East.

IMO, the problem with Biden, from the beginning, is that he has always been enmeshed with the DNC/Wall Street establishment and the U.S. military industrial complex.  That is why he refused to put a Progressive on the 2020 ticket, after eking out a narrow win over the Progressives--Bernie and Elizabeth Warren-- in 2020.

As for standing up to Israel's right wing Likud Party apartheid regime, only the Progressives have had the courage and integrity to do so-- Bernie, Warren, AOC, et.al.

Incidentally, Obama heatedly disagreed with Netanyahu's apartheid politics in Palestine, and the two men could hardly stand to be in the same room together.  There's a detailed NYT reference on that subject, if you're interested.

Have there been mis-steps?  Absolutely.  And naturally.

I recall the Washington Post's Thomas Friedman column that Doug shared a few days ago--that there's a daring, grand strategy afoot.  Would that Barak had've been as daring.

This has been a work in progress.  Mistake were made along the way.  It's a tightrope that the administration is walking.

I was disappointed that the US vetoed the cease fire resolutions, but it was still early in the catastrophe.  The US was still dancing with Netenyahu.

Now it's become a major goal to get neighboring Arabs on board and a two-state solution, with Arabs helping to govern Palestine in the interim.

Think Biden can handle that?  I think so...