The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

10 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

But they can become overruled as they were with Trump in 2016, Mc Govern in 72, and Goldwater in 64.

Yes, overruled by the primary system.

Except primary season has already begun and we're talking about a change that wouldn't happen until all the primaries are over.

So the DNC would have to leapfrog Kamala to get Newsom. How do you think that would look? I don't think that would go over too well with Kamala.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Yes, overruled by the primary system.

Except primary season has already begun and we're talking about a change that wouldn't happen until all the primaries are over.

So the DNC would have to leapfrog Kamala to get Newsom. How do you think that would look? I don't think that would go over too well with Kamala.

Yeah, my wife and I were just talking about this issue last night.

If  I recall correctly, Eugene McCarthy was already running in the NH Democratic primary in '68, before LBJ announced on March 31st that he would not seek re-election.

But RFK and Humphrey didn't enter the primaries until after March 31st, did they?

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Biden and Blinken vetoed two UN cease-fire resolutions to put a halt to Netanyahu's Gaza genocide, while aggressively sending Bibi bombs and other military equipment.

I agree W. it's pathetic that so many Gazans have been slaughtered. However I do believe in disproportionate revenge. In this case that means the most powerful combatant has to establish their authority which probably includes killing at least double the innocent civilians as were inflicted on the Israelis, and many times the destruction but that was accomplished in about one or two weeks!

One very harmful fallacy that was successfully propagated on some in our discussion was Netanyahu's assertion that they could "eliminate Hamas". Most of the American have public accepted that, and so now we are in our 4th month and 27,000 lives later, and America still hasn't woken up!

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

As for standing up to Israel's right wing Likud Party apartheid regime, only the Progressives have had the courage and integrity to do so-- Bernie, Warren, AOC, et.al.

I don't mean to pick on you W. But you open up a generous amounts of territory here, and as you know I also don't shy away from opening up large areas of discussion, though not often very successfully!    heh heh 

No W. , as I keep telling you've underestimated the amount of resistance in the U.S. ,but you're not listening to me either.  Neither Bernie or Elizabeth Warren have had the courage to even ask for a ceasefire!  That would be the beginning of resistance! It took Bernie 3 months to propose that there be a commission to monitor possible Israeli atrocities I believe it was and only 10 Democrat Senators out of 51, and only one Republican out of 49 Republicans voted for it! Just a week ago, Bernie got more nerve and proposes to remove 10 billion in U.S. funding to the Israeli war machine! It won't be successful either!

In our discussion. I may be wrong, but I haven't heard Matt or Sandy advocate for a ceasefire. I'm pretty sure I've heard in Doug's links that he has. But I don't believe I've even really heard that from you. All this posturing means nothing unless you tie them to  concrete policies! Though I assume you must see that as an opening necessity. My intention is not to judge either way, but merely state where our discussion is.

5 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Now Biden has, apparently, realized that he bungled Gaza -- perhaps partly because his blunder may cost him Michigan.  He is also worried now-- finally-- that his support for Netanyahu is potentially drawing the U.S. into another catastrophic war in the Middle East.

Yes if you believe more recent New York Times articles, "In Private Remarks to Arab Americans, Biden Aide Expresses Regrets on Gaza". Now tell me, how private can that be if it's in the New York Times? It's deliberately leaked!

This is all a Biden charade, as it has been from the beginning, but  a good charade. You notice he mentioned his fears about the Israeli's going overboard in Gaza at the very beginning. That was all intentional. He has to act surprised, even though he isn't. He's gradually building a process where he starts out as a hero ally to the Israeli people in a time of need but is gradually dissuaded by Netanyahu's Gaza genocidal purge of Palestinians. I think he had to know that Israel,  if given this level of license would slaughter Gazan civilians  without discretion, and not ask themselves any questions about it.

I'll repeat, what you don't understand is if Biden enacts what you and I want, he loses in 2024! You have to understand that the overriding desire of all politicians is to stay in office!

Even given Biden's discretion, I think he should have been more of a leader at trying to shape U.S. public perception. But he does keep looking at Congress and finding little support, but I do expect that to gradually change. What he's banking on is that the main part of the war will end, and Blinken can successfully start to launch a 2 state solution and it's underway enough that "all's well that ends well" and he'll be remembered in history as being the only President since WW2 to successfully solve the Palestinian issue.

But is it realistic to assume that that could be underway by the time he faces re election.? That's pretty difficult, particularly because Bibi's here for a while!

Kirk,

I have been highly critical of Netanyahu's genocidal bombing campaign of Gaza's civilian population since October-- disputing the absurd claim that the indiscriminate massacre of Gaza's non-combatant civilians constitutes legitimate "collateral damage." 

As for the Progressives, Bernie has certainly called for a cease-fire, and for conditional U.S. funding of Netanyahu's war machine, although he balked at demanding a cease-fire.  Elizabeth Warren criticized Zuckerburg's censorship of Palestinian rights protesters on Meta.

As a Palestinian American, Rashida Tlaib has been the most vocal Congressional critic of the Israeli genocide.

AIPAC is immensely powerful in U.S. politics, and, as Douglas Caddy has pointed out, Biden has openly identified himself as a "Zionist."  (Paul Rigby posted an informative article on one of our JFK and Gaza threads about Biden's history with AIPAC and the Israeli PR people.)

Obama was less sanguine about Netanyahu's right wing apartheid regime.

Netanyahu and the Likud Party are staunchly opposed to a Palestinian state.  In fact, opposition to a Palestinian state is in the Likud Party charter.

Edited by W. Niederhut

-Donald Trump- 

One of the presidents of a big country stood up and said, 'Well, sir, if we don't pay, and we're attacked by Russia, will you protect us?' I said, 'You didn't pay, you're delinquent?'"

"No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want."

I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want."

This is worse than Neville Chamberlain ever thought about being.

Steve Thomas

On 2/8/2024 at 7:41 PM, Matt Allison said:

Yep. Biden will be remembered as one of the greats.

And that awful Trump sycophant Robert Hur never should have been chosen to be a SP in a Biden case, good lord.

Merrick Garland's choices while AG have been a disappointment in a number of respects.

I agree completely Matt. It should never have been that an AG should be picked to compensate for the unfairness at having been denied being a Supreme Court justice. Biden needed a no nonsense RFK type of an AG to prosecute Trump.

We found ourselves in an identical situation  in that we spent a couple of years waiting for Mueller. But now Garland 's department dragged their feet for 2 years and then passed it off to Jack Smith! Now we're really in a pickle and everything looks political. I understand the need for the perception of fairness but as  Garrison quoted,  "Let Justice be done though the Heaven's fallI!" is what I say!

I don't think I've ever seen a public official more often publicly seem on the brink of tears as I've seen Garland. But I have no problem with that. I just wanted  him to firmly take charge!

5 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I agree completely Matt. It should never have been that an AG should be picked to compensate for the unfairness at having been denied being a Supreme Court justice. Biden needed a no nonsense RFK type of an AG to prosecute Trump.

We found ourselves in an identical situation  in that we spent a couple of years waiting for Mueller. But now Garland 's department dragged their feet for 2 years and then passed it off to Jack Smith! Now we're really in a pickle and everything looks political. I understand the need for the perception of fairness but as  Garrison quoted,  "Let Justice be done though the Heaven's fallI!" is what I say!

I don't think I've ever seen a public official more often publicly seem on the brink of tears as I've seen Garland. But I have no problem with that. I just wanted  him to firmly take charge!

Yea, hopefully he'll be replaced in Biden's next term. :>)

At his rally in South Carolina, Trump made fun of Nikki Haley's husband who is serving in the military overseas, while his audience clapped and cheered.

Since when did we start making fun of military service members?

How can you have an America First movement, while at the same time, running down your military?

This MAGA movement is just downright revolting.

Steve Thomas

- Donald Trump, hours before the Super Bowl-

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/111913990846366079

“I signed and was responsible for the Music Modernization Act for Taylor Swift and all other Musical Artists. Joe Biden didn’t do anything for Taylor, and never will. There’s no way she could endorse Crooked Joe Biden, the worst and most corrupt President in the History of our Country, and be disloyal to the man who made her so much money. Besides that, I like her boyfriend, Travis, even though he may be a Liberal, and probably can’t stand me!”

I hope she haunts his every waking moment.

Steve Thomas

On 2/10/2024 at 10:20 AM, Matt Allison said:

I don't think it matters what Kamala thinks.

I'm not an expert on this. But I don't think Kamala Harris has any greater claim to be the Democrat Presidential candidate until Biden wins the nomination, again formally picks her as VP and then during the campaign  becomes incapacitated or dies.

If Biden wins the primaries and dies or becomes incapacitated before the convention.  It's a completely open convention, where I believe the delegates are not required to transfer their Biden pledge over to Harris, because often candidates don't pick their running mate until the convention anyway,  and a judgment will be made in smoke filled rooms about which candidate has the best chance of winning, because nobody will have any delegates but Biden.

A similar situation happened in 1968 , when Johnson declined to run in late March. It was going to be on open convention with Johnson's VP, Hubert Humphrey taking on RFK and Eugene Mc Carthy but of course, RFK was killed..