The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

North Carolina GOP says voters have no right to fair elections

by Ellsworth Toohey Jun 14, 2024

https://boingboing.net/2024/06/14/north-carolina-gop-says-voters-have-no-right-to-fair-elections.html

“North Carolina GOP lawmakers are asking the courts to throw out a gerrymandering lawsuit because they claim voters have no constitutional right to fair elections.

As WRAL reports, the GOP-led legislature is arguing that "no such right exists, since it's impossible to define what 'fair' means."

Republican lawyer Phil Strach called the idea that voters have the right to fair elections "legal gobbledygook."

Because in North Carolina, it's government of the GOP, by the GOP, and for the GOP — voters be damned.”

Well, you can't get much plainer than that.

Steve Thomas

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/14/2024 at 7:10 PM, Ron Bulman said:

A slight aside from US and World affairs.  I heard an advertisement for this on the radio and thought what a hokey cornball name for a festival.  Couldn't they come up with Something better than this?  Naturally I had to google it.  Is Arkansas moving west?  Now I'm in the mood for a BLT.

flying-Pig-Festival-events-768x1024.jpg

Matt, that's the Baker Hotel built in 1929 to take advantage of the "healing" waters in Mineral Wells, TX (they have a little lithium in them, among other "minerals").  Modeled after the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs, AR. Hosting from the 1930's -50's, Clark Gable, Judy Garland, Ronald Reagan, the Three Stooges, Bonnie & Clyde and John Wayne among others.  1st Hotel in Texas to have a swimming pool when it opened then air conditioning in the 1940's.

Business died off in the later 1950's and it closed in 1963.  Re-opened in 1965, closed for good in 1972.  National Historic Landmark in 1982.  Several plans to update and re-open since fell through.  Hence, when a new plan would come up, locals answered "when pigs fly."  Until 2019.  Bought by a guy (and investors) who does this for a living.  Not real far from being done.  Was to re-open in 2023, now 2025.  Still, I think the "Baker Festival" sounds better, not as catchy I guess.

Baker Hotel (Mineral Wells, Texas) - Wikipedia

Home | The Baker Hotel and Spa

It used to be a thing for local kids to break in at night while it was closed and go ghost hunting.  An east Texas "red-dirt" musician named an album after it.  As Matt's in the music bizness here's the title song.

Edited by Ron Bulman

Ron,

Your Mineral Wells post reminded me of epidemiological studies that found a lower prevalence of suicide in some Texas counties that had higher lithium levels in local drinking water.  True story.

Lithium is, in fact, one of the few substances that has been shown to reduce suicide rates in people with bipolar disorders.

Lithium in the public water supply and suicide mortality in Texas - PubMed (nih.gov)

Edited by W. Niederhut

Russian nuclear submarine spotted off UK coast sparks emergency defence meeting | World | News | Express.co.uk

Putin plans to visit North Korea soon. Once he has done that then he has all the pieces of his master plan in place to shock the West. A Russian nuclear submarine is off the U.K., and its warships and nuclear submarine are in Cuba and the Chinese are preparing to invade Taiwan and North Korea has its long-range missiles ready for action against South Korea and Taiwan and maybe mainland U.S.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Matt, that's the Baker Hotel built in 1929 to take advantage of the "healing" waters in Mineral Wells, TX (they have a little lithium in them, among other "minerals").  Modeled after the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs, AR. Hosting from the 1930's -50's, Clark Gable, Judy Garland, Ronald Reagan, the Three Stooges, Bonnie & Clyde and John Wayne among others.  1st Hotel in Texas to have a swimming pool when it opened then air conditioning in the 1940's.

Business died off in the later 1950's and it closed in 1963.  Re-opened in 1965, closed for good in 1972.  National Historic Landmark in 1982.  Several plans to update and re-open since fell through.  Hence, when a new plan would come up, locals answered "when pigs fly."  Until 2019.  Bought by a guy (and investors) who does this for a living.  Not real far from being done.  Was to re-open in 2023, now 2025.  Still, I think the "Baker Festival" sounds better, not as catchy I guess.

Wow, I'd never heard of this place, thanks Ron. I gotta read up on this. I never knew lithium in water was even a thing...

hahahahahaha 

"Steve Bannon, the former Trump aide and far-right podcaster who was recently sentenced to prison, is asking a judge to intervene and keep him out of jail so that he can fulfill his “important” role in the Trump campaign."

https://www.the-independent.com/news/world/americas/us-politics/steve-bannon-federal-appeals-prison-b2561311.html

bannon 2.jpg

Edited by Matt Allison

'Not So Horrible City IPA:' Brewery hits back at Trump with new beer for Milwaukee's RNC

By Kathleen Culliton June 16, 2024

https://www.rawstory.com/milwaukee-horrible-city-trump/

“A Milwaukee brewery is slapping back at former President Trump's history-making gaffe that saw him reportedly claim in a closed-door meeting that the city hosting the Republican National Convention next month is "horrible."

The crowdsourced brewery MobCraft is now offering a new beer they call the "(Not So) Horrible City IPA," the local ABC affiliate WISN 12 was first to report.

And yes, MobCraft plans the rollout of the IPA, available for pre-order here, to take place just before the Republican National Convention on July 15, WISN 12 reports.”

Steve Thomas

3 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Washington Post Editorial: Biden should assume national polls are accurate that show him behind.

WaPo recently switched to a British tabloid editor, and garbage like this is the result.

But read the comments at the end of the article; there's literally 5,000+ of them. They most certainly do not agree with the premise of the editorial lol