The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concerning the WAPO article link Doug posted.

$10M cash withdrawal drove secret probe into whether Trump took money from Egypt

Political appointees rejected efforts to search for additional evidence investigators believed might provide answers, then closed the case.

The bottom line is as of sometime in 2022, the statute of limitations kicked in.  Biden and Merrick Garland had a year to prosecute , but I suppose dropped it because they wanted to promote unity. 
But here are some of the details:

-Inside the state-run National Bank of Egypt, employees were soon busy placing bundles of $100 bills into two large bags, according to records from the bank. Four men arrived and carried away the bags, which U.S. officials later described in sealed court filings as weighing a combined 200 pounds and containing what was then a sizable share of Egypt’s reserve of U.S. currency.

-Over the course of his presidency, Trump shifted U.S. policy in ways that benefited the Egyptian leader, a man he once called “my favorite dictator.”
In 2018, Trump’s State Department released $195 million in military aid that the United States had been withholding over human rights abuses — a move that had been opposed by his first secretary of state — followed by the release of $1.2 billion more in such assistance.

-after he assumed office, Trump quickly embraced Sisi, the people said. Breaking with U.S. policy under President Barack Obama, Trump invited the Egyptian leader to be one of his first guests at the White House and met with him again, among other Arab leaders, on his first trip abroad.

RE:PROBE

-One official called it “jaw dropping.” In early 2017, Justice Department officials were briefed on initial reports from the Central Intelligence Agency that Sisi had sought to send money to Trump.

-Barr later instructed FBI Director Christopher A. Wray to impose “adult supervision” on FBI agents Barr described as “hell-bent” on pursuing Trump’s records, according to people familiar with the exchange. It is unclear what, if any, actions Wray, who was also appointed by Trump, took in response.

-In June 2020, the prosecutor Barr appointed to take over the office leading the case closed the probe, citing “a lack of sufficient evidence to prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt.”

-This exclusive account of the Egypt investigation is based on a review of thousands of pages of government records, including sealed court filings and exhibits. The Post also interviewed more than two dozen people with knowledge of the investigation. The individuals spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive probe that ended without criminal charges. Some showed The Post emails, texts and other documents corroborating their accounts.

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

The bottom line is as of sometime in 2022, the statute of limitations kicked in.  Biden and Merrick Garland had a year to prosecute , but I suppose dropped it because they wanted to promote unity. 

Once they prosecute a former president, then won't it open a Pandora's box -- for example, rolling all the way back to any living former president, including Clinton?

17 minutes ago, Bill Fite said:

Once they prosecute a former president, then won't it open a Pandora's box -- for example, rolling all the way back to any living former president, including Clinton?

Of course, we are currently trying to prosecute a former President Trump, initially 92 counts worth!, though I'll grant up to now, not very successfully. But if Trump doesn't get elected, I do see future successful convictions.

32 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Of course, we are currently trying to prosecute a former President Trump, initially 92 counts worth!, though I'll grant up to now, not very successfully. But if Trump doesn't get elected, I do see future successful convictions.

I'd imagine that W, Cheney, Condi & their gang along w the Clintons and others are watching how this unfolds closely.

"Whether or not Tim Walz is VP pick — he’s modeled a liberal alternative, to moderate DNC politics-about-policy.

Walz says — ‘You don't win elections to bank political capital; you win elections to burn political capital and improve lives.’

This is opposite of 1990s Clinton DLC."

Twitter source