The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

Yeah, Matt, the loony MAGAts are running almost entirely on fear-mongering about immigrants this year, which is especially odd given that Elon Musk and the Trumps are all recent immigrants-- i.e., the opposite Bill Fite.

They're 21st century Know Nothings-- the old party that hated the Irish.

(It sounds like some of Bill's (Cherokee) ancestors have lived in North America for millennia.)

Lauren Boebert repeated these same anti-immigrant tropes in a recent interview on Colorado Public Radio.

Fortunately, Karl Kinaski has been keeping us up-to-date -- from Innsbruck-- on this MAGA border propaganda.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close encounters of the Cervus kind...

So, I was playing the 13th hole at the Estes Park Golf Course this afternoon-- a very scenic, secluded hole that descends down a 300-yard slope to the northeast corner of the golf course-- adjacent to a church parking lot.

I had hit three good 105 yard 9-iron shots onto the green, then parked my golf cart on the path by the green and the church parking lot. 

I got out of my cart just as a herd of elk suddenly came running toward me, across the parking lot, followed by a large bull.  They do occasionally gore tourists when rutting.

I ducked around the opposite side of my cart as the bull came trotting right next to my cart.  He stopped and watched me for a minute.  Then he started walking toward me around the cart.  I backed up toward the front of my cart.

There were no trees within 15 yards of me, but I thought I would be safe if I kept the cart between me and that bull.

After a minute or so, he finally turned around and followed his harem over to the fairway in front of the green.

I was able to putt out, but I kept my eye on that bull the whole time, in case I needed to make a dash behind the cart.

Didn't have my cellphone, but here's an on-line photo of the bio-hazards on that golf course.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJRYjbOFdfz-N7W1ASjLk

Edited by W. Niederhut

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Close encounters of the Cervus kind...

So, I was playing the 13th hole at the Estes Park Golf Course this afternoon-- a very scenic, secluded hole that descends down a 300-yard slope to the northeast corner of the golf course-- adjacent to a church parking lot.

I had hit three good 105 yard 9-iron shots onto the green, then parked my golf cart on the path by the green and the church parking lot. 

I got out of my cart just as a herd of elk suddenly came running toward me, across the parking lot, followed by a large bull.  They do occasionally gore tourists when rutting.

I ducked around the opposite side of my cart as the bull came trotting right next to my cart.  He stopped and watched me for a minute.  Then he started walking toward me around the cart.  I backed up toward the front of my cart.

There were no trees within 15 yards of me, but I thought I would be safe if I kept the cart between me and that bull.

After a minute or so, he finally turned around and followed his harem over to the fairway in front of the green.

I was able to putt out, but I kept my eye on that bull the whole time, in case I needed to make a dash behind the cart.

Didn't have my cellphone, but here's an on-line photo of the bio-hazards on that golf course.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJRYjbOFdfz-N7W1ASjLk

Ha, a cellphone wouldn't have helped.  You should keep a 30-30 in your bag at that course.

On 9/27/2024 at 12:12 AM, Matt Allison said:

I don't know if any of you guys have ever gone down the genealogical rabbit hole, but I just did it tonight, and it's pretty fun; you can learn some crazy things. As an example, my mom's grandma was Nellie Haynes. And Nellie's Great, Great Grandfather, William Haynes, fought in the Revolutionary War. Pretty wild. Here's a record of his pay:

https://revwarapps.org/b105.pdf

That is also how I learned that the official designation for people born in the U.S. prior to our independence was as being born in "British Colonial America". Which, now that I think about it, would indeed make sense as a descriptor lol.

Hi Matt.  My mother started digging in her early 50's, got my dad interested in the 1980's before digital anything.  Trips throughout the south and east coast, courthouses, cemeteries.  Copies, I've over a dozen 2-3" notebooks full along with 2 file cabinets, maps galore, military service records.  I could spend all my time digging and writing on this.  Briefly.

1st of the Bulman's here was George, born in Scotland, came over from England as an indentured servant as a carpenter for the ships Capitan shortly before the American Revolution.  Built the Capitan a house in Georgia, now a state landmark, joined the revolution then disappeared from history. 

On my mother's side multiple grandads served the confederacy in the civil war in low level positions, one earning a promotion to second sergeant for bravery on the field.  Another in Tennessee wanted nothing to do with it.  Pressured by both sides he rode north, captured by confederates he died from starvation as a pow in Belle Island prison (now a park) on whatever river runs through Richmond Va.

Nancy Vann Stevens was born in rural South Carolina before the revolution, had several kids and moved from Alabama with her daughter's family, including her niece my grandparents Catherine Ann and Solon Loving to the true Texas  frontier in 1855.  Comanche raids were still a very real thing.  She was in her 80's.  Buried on a ranch in Palo Pinto County.

Last, I'll mention Airard Fitz Steven, a nobleman of Normandy France.  Immigrated to England with William the Conqueror in 1066.  Placed in charge of the Mora, the lead ship on which William rode on his conquest of England.  Airard received some land. 

12 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

My mother started digging in her early 50's, got my dad interested in the 1980's before digital anything.  Trips throughout the south and east coast, courthouses, cemeteries.  Copies, I've over a dozen 2-3" notebooks full along with 2 file cabinets, maps galore, military service records.

That is impressive! Wow! I seriously can't even contemplate that amount of work. Holy mackerel, I can't imagine doing genealogy work without the assistance of the internet.

I think it's neat that there are now 4 of us just in this thread that have roots to Colonial America. 

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

I think it's neat that there are now 4 of us just in this thread that have roots to Colonial America. 

It's kind of funny that on my father's side the American Experience (what a great TV show that was) goes way back.  

On my mother's side - my grandparents were both born in Ayrshire, Scotland.   My grandmother's family moved over when she was a girl and my grandfather came later.  When I was a kid, my home town had a significant population of coal miners from Ayrshire.  They had all immigrated because the mines were dry and the coal rooms were big enough to stand up in.

Neighbouring towns were similar - a couple predominantly Italian and one Croatian.

When I was working for American Airlines, `I had the almost surreal experience of flying from Paris to Dallas first class with a window seat, looking out and seeing their hometown - Stevenson - while drinking a glass of champagne with caviar and wondering what they would think of that since they had left with very little.

As far as I know, my great grandfather who served in the Civil War only made a couple of statements his sons and grandsons remembered:

• It was so hot in Tennessee on one of their marches that he wanted to stop and drink from mud puddles.
  • He was conscripted into the Army when a Captain rode up to the farm and told him he had to join.  He asked what if he said no.  The Captain looked around and said - well I reckon that tree is big enough to hang you from.   So he went.

“The Trump camp has scheduled a Monday pit-stop for the Republican candidate in Valdosta, Georgia—a key battleground state, where at least 17 people are reported to have died—after his suggestion at a Walker, Michigan rally that hurricane victims will “be OK” sparked outcry on Friday.

He’s expected to receive a briefing on the extent of the devastation and to assist with the distribution of relief, as well as taking the opportunity to “deliver remarks to the press,” according to an emailed statement from his team.”

Donald Trump will be tossing paper towels to the crowd and giving a campaign speech expected to last a minimum of 90 minutes.

Steve Thomas

"The storm was supposed to come directly across my district, but when it came through Georgia, it went to the east, and we mainly just got a lot of rain," (Marjorie Taylor) Greene explained. "When we go back to Washington, we will be working hard to make sure that states like Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina get the funding that they need."

“"We need them to step in and send the funds and the relief that these people deserve."

I'm sorry, but you voted to shut down the Government.

Steve Thomas