The Education Forum

The Attempted Assassination of Charles deGaulle

59 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Yes, prison escapes are intriguing, but what's your point?

You wrote, "   Following their arrest, Souetre and Brousse were transferred, first to the prison de Maison Carrée in France, then back to Algeria, where they and the others arrested with them were tried before a military tribunal on December 17, 1961. The press referred to this group as Souetre’s “First Algerian Marquis.” 

Uh, no.

Maison-Carrée is a prison in Algeria. It's about 12 miles south of Algeries on the northern coast of Algeriaon the river Harrach.

Souetre was captured in Algeria, first imprisoned in Algeria and then flown to France. The military Tribunal was in Paris.

You omitted his time in Santé.

The Camp Commandant at St. Maurice :'Aordoise was not General Clement. That is not "under dispute".

Saint-Maurice l’Ardoise : Un camp pour activistes dans le Gard en 1962

By Didier Lavrut

https://journals.openedition.org/criminocorpus/2589

The camp director, appointed on December 19, 1961, took up his post on January 4, 1962. This was Achille Perrodo, who was previously director of the Thol camp. The report he sent on 9 January , i.e. three days before the arrival of the first activists,…”17.

17.Arch. dép. du Gard, CA 1574. Rapport du directeur du CARS au préfet, 9 janvier 1962.

Steve Thomas

Do you have the name of the camp director at Île de Ré in 1963?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Steve Thomas The first of these examples, the one that marked the most at the time, was the marriage of Captain Souètre34. On January 20, 1962, the mayor of Saint-Laurent-les-Arbres married Captain Jean Souètre with Josette Marcailhou d'Aymeric within the camp. A banquet is set up in which the 74 internees take part, but also the wives of some of them. There is of course the family of the bride. General Clément, deputy commander of the 9th Military Region (Marseille), was the groom's best man and the wedding meal had nothing particularly prison about it. To top it off, a reporter from Paris-Match36 is there, entered with who knows what authorization. At the end of the festivities, Souètre, a deserting officer, was named commander. This affair cost General Clément his post and Achille Perrodo was replaced as camp director. It nevertheless testifies to the sympathy and the links which the assigned State can rely on both in the army and in the police where Jean Dides [notorious ex-policeman, stay-behind] still has many and solid supports. For many police officers, the cause of French Algeria where many colleagues gave their lives is a strong cause, at least until the shooting in the rue d'Isly in Algiers on March 26, 1962.

https://journals.openedition.org/criminocorpus/2589?lang=it

7 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

General Clément, deputy commander of the 9th Military Region (Marseille), was the groom's best man  This affair cost General Clément his post and Achille Perrodo was replaced as camp director.

General Clément, deputy commander of the 9th Military Region (Marseille), was the groom's best man  This affair cost General Clément his post and Achille Perrodo was replaced as camp director.

General Claude Clement was not the Camp Commandant. I told you that weeks ago.

If I remember right, Jean Dides was Josette's cousin and was the one who arranged their marriage in the prison camp.

Marton wasn't released from prison until March 22, 1968

https://deltas-collines.org/galerie/QQQQQQQQQQQQQQ/D_tenus_SPES_24

image.thumb.png.5a6daeb57fd5db668c732dc28ff54ff5.png

I have seen no contemporaneous news accounts, reports from the Ministery of the Interior, or reports from the warden of the prison at Re that Marton ever escaped.

Please show me your proof that Lajos Marton escaped from the prison at Re.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

If I remember right, Jean Dides was Josette's cousin and was the one who arranged their marriage in the prison camp.

I have seen no contemporaneous news accounts, reports from the Ministery of the Interior, or reports from the warden of the prison at Re that Marton ever escaped.

Steve Thomas

Steve - if I’m reading this right, deputy commander isn’t the same thing as commander. What is deputy commander anyway? Who deputized Clement? And why did this marriage inside prison grounds cost him his post? Leslie’s point is that the official record cannot be relied upon in this case. It’s at least a stalemate. On this you base your opinion that Fensterwald was being deliberately fed false information. 

48 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - if I’m reading this right, deputy commander isn’t the same thing as commander. What is deputy commander anyway? Who deputized Clement? And why did this marriage inside prison grounds cost him his post? Leslie’s point is that the official record cannot be relied upon in this case. It’s at least a stalemate. On this you base your opinion that Fensterwald was being deliberately fed false information. 

Paul,

The marriage at the prison camp caused quite a scandal in its time. I think that Clement was removed from his position because his attendance lent the appearance of official "legitimacy" that the upper echelons of the military hierarchy frowned on.

I assume he was promoted to the position of Deputy Commander by the Commander of the IXth Military Region, but I don't know who that was.

As far as Fensterwald goes, you have to go back and read about who Gilbert Lecavalier was, and the war between SAC and the OAS back in the early 1960's.

Go back and read:

SUMMARY OF PARIS TRIP - NOVEMBER 13-22, 1982

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/S%20Disk/Souetre%20Jean%20with%20aka%27s/Item%2011.pdf

See how many times Lecavaleir's name comes up, and in what context.

Steve Thomas

4 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Steve Thomas

Recall the preface to my post which provides numerous exmples of escapes by assassins, including those we're debating, Before outlining in detail those in authority who could effect the release or escape of recently incarcerated known assssins in 1963 . . .

Who was the "camp director" at 
Île de Ré at the time?

Edited by Leslie Sharp

12 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Recall the preface to my post which provides numerous exmples of escapes by assassins, including those we're debating,

Steve Thomas

33 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Steve Thomas

And you'll provide me evidence he was in prison on November 22? We know that he wasn't in mid-November.

Can you tell me who served as camp director of île de Ré in November?

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Paul,

The marriage at the prison camp caused quite a scandal in its time. I think that Clement was removed from his position because his attendance lent the appearance of official "legitimacy" that the upper echelons of the military hierarchy frowned on.

I assume he was promoted to the position of Deputy Commander by the Commander of the IXth Military Region, but I don't know who that was.

As far as Fensterwald goes, you have to go back and read about who Gilbert Lecavalier was, and the war between SAC and the OAS back in the early 1960's.

Go back and read:

SUMMARY OF PARIS TRIP - NOVEMBER 13-22, 1982

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/S%20Disk/Souetre%20Jean%20with%20aka%27s/Item%2011.pdf

See how many times Lecavaleir's name comes up, and in what context.

Steve Thomas

I didn’t notice anything unusual, except for his interjection in an appendix while Perez was being interviewed. It’s Perez that says he met Souetre in Madrid, and met Bannister there as well. It doesn’t look to me like LeCavalier dominates the document. It’s too simple to discard on that basis. 

2 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

And you'll provide me evidence he was in prison on November 22? We know that he wasn't in mid-November.

Can you tell me who served as camp director of île de Ré in November?

Ms. Sharp,

That's it.

I'm done.

I am not going to talk to you any more.

Steve Thomas

Steve - your research is appreciated. I wish you would apply your considerable skills to Coup in Dallas. The authors are well meaning, not out for a buck or fame, and they’ve done their best to use a magnifier to actually look at the European fascists and their connections in the states. As you know it’s no easy task. Hank Albarelli was a tireless researcher and digger for truth. Leslie and Alan have done their best to bring Hank’s research forward in difficult circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - your research is appreciated. I wish you would apply your considerable skills to Coup in Dallas. The authors are well meaning, not out for a buck or fame, and they’ve done their best to use a magnifier to actually look at the European fascists and their connections in the states. As you know it’s no easy task. Hank Albarelli was a tireless researcher and digger for truth. Leslie and Alan have done their best to bring Hank’s research forward in difficult circumstances. 

Thank you, Paul.  

Hank pursued the leads as they surfaced, and it happens they led us to an international angle of the assassination which is revealed in Lafitte's records.  I trust it's obvious to the reader that Hank's investigation was a professional journalistic endeavor to get to the truth and transcends having good intentions.