Jump to content
The Education Forum

The Attempted Assassination of Charles deGaulle


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note to the moderators.  I trust you will indulge this current exhange as it not only relates to the attempted assassination of Charles de Gaulle, it (ironically) dovetails to a degree with banishment from the forum of one of the best document researchers of the new generation, Monty Montenegro. 

Sunderberg to Sharp...

    I do note from the present Ed Forum roster of topics that you, under the working name of Leslie Sharp, personally threatened Robert Montenegro with a lawsuit on the grounds that if he received a communication from Hank Albarelli it must necessarily have been protected by an NDA, and that after Montenegro deleted all of the pertinent posts he made a final post - still there last time I checked - regretting that he had deleted his prior posts, as there was no basis indeed for a belief that publicizing the content was legally actionable as there was no constraint imposed by Albarelli.  
That, I'd think, is a much more accurate definition of intimidation than that which you quite mistakenly infer as my intention in bringing to your attention the documentary record of the Petit-Clamart prosecutions as laid out in substantial detail in that 2016 book.



Sharp to Sunderberg ...
Sunderberg writes ... as there was no constraint imposed by Albarelli.
 
Can you provide evidence? You clearly know nothing of what transpired on EF with Monty.
Hank had a strict NDA in place with ANYone he shared exclusive information. Perhaps you don't understand the concept? You might consult Dick Russell, Jefferson Morley, Russ Baker, Peter Janney on the question.
 
Like any professional journalist, Hank was concerned that the research could be cannibalized before we had the chance to present it in a cohesive manuscript.
 
Monty had no idea the direction the research had taken since he last spoke with Hank in the fall of 2018, and he was posting confidential details totally out of context of Hank's intended end product. I asked him politely, more than three times, to just remove the relevant posts.
I implored him to only remove posts that referred to information Hank had shared with him confidentially, until he had a chance to read the book.
 
In a heated moment that I believe he regrets, Monty opted to remove all of his posts.   It's unfortunate this played out in public, but what's done is done. 
 
We have talked/conferred on almost a daily basis — often hours at a stretch —
 since mid- 2022 following publication of Hank's exclusive investigation. As far as I know, we're "all good. I think Monty's  primary frustration at the moment is the weaponization 
of our history, a card you pulled out of the hat recently.  Shame.
Edited by Leslie Sharp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

He seems to have flown under the radar, and last year when he was disseminating his list of typo-s, index issues, etc. in Coup, I was assured that he meant well.

An equally serious concern is that he's using his university email system.  Who has access? 

I received this from a professor in Spain . . .  If this individual is a member of Faculty at University of Arizona, he has stepped over the boundry. This is a form of intimidation. Frankly, he should be reported to the Board of Trustees, Dean of his college, Human Resources or Regents of his university for using university email to intimidate a private citizen. This is not appropriate nor professional of an academician.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Ben, the title of Gil's thread is unambiguous.  Presumably those who are familiar with the topic will find themselves here.  If you're here, it must mean that you're interested as well.  You might learn something about the Kennedy assassination in the process.  

The subject of my particular posts is Lajos Marton, a Hungarian soldier who sympathized with the far-right French circles, and committed to the Jeune Nation (Young Nation), the most significant French neo-fascist movement founded in 1949. "Promoting street violence and extra-parliamentarian insurrection against the Fourth Republic, members hoped the turmoils of the wars of decolonization — Algeria for example — would lead to a coup d'état followed by a nationalist regime.  French Algeria who, after protests against Algeria's independence on November 4, 1956, organized a demonstration and captured the headquarters of the French Communist Party in Paris." 

"In 1962, OAS (L'Organisation armée secrète) offered to Marton to take part in an assassination against De Gaulle. Louis Marton immediately accepted the request."

You might pick up from here by reading the lengthy excerpt from Coup in Dallas (posted earlier) for a brief introduction to who killed Kennedy in Dallas.

That's fine. I just lost traction with Mr Sund(er)berg and Jack Ruby. 

One thing is for sure. The French guys had a lot of practice at assassinations, and were willing to do it.

Although they missed De Gaulle over and over again...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

And the Ruby quote?

 

 

Comes from a letter he wrote to Thomas Miller, a fellow inmate in the Dallas County jail.

The "n-a-z-i" he was talking about was Lamar Hunt.

I'm covering it in part 4 of my series, "The Conspiracy to Kill Lee Harvey Oswald."

I'll be posting it later today.

Edited by Gil Jesus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gil Jesus said:

Comes from a letter he wrote to Thomas Miller, a fellow inmate in the Dallas County jail.

The "n-a-z-i" he was talking about was Lamar Hunt.

I'm covering it in part 4 of my series, "The Conspiracy to Kill Lee Harvey Oswald."

I'll be posting it later today.

 

8 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

That's fine. I just lost traction with Mr Sund(er)berg and Jack Ruby. 

One thing is for sure. The French guys had a lot of practice at assassinations, and were willing to do it.

Although they missed De Gaulle over and over again...

And you lost traction because you didn't read carefully, OR you deliberately drop inane, unrelated comments like "Sundberg [clearly spelled precisely as I indicate in my posts] and Jack Ruby" in the same sentence as a distraction from the significance of a post.  Jack Ruby appears in Coup in Dallas ... Jeffrey Sundberg Does Not.  Try again, @Benjamin Cole.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gil Jesus said:

Comes from a letter he wrote to Thomas Miller, a fellow inmate in the Dallas County jail.

The "n-a-z-i" he was talking about was Lamar Hunt.

I'm covering it in part 4 of my series, "The Conspiracy to Kill Lee Harvey Oswald."

I'll be posting it later today.

In the letter, Ruby suggests that Lamar Hunt might be helpful in locating an ex-wife of former congressman Bruce Alger who (if still alive) needed to be warned about LBJ having "the most horrible death imaginable" in store for him. This is followed by the "who would ever dream that the m*****f***** was a N***" rant. Doesn't it seem more likely that the N-word refers to LBJ than to Lamar Hunt?

Full transcription here.

Edited by Mark Ulrik
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

In the letter, Ruby suggests that Lamar Hunt might be helpful in locating an ex-wife of former congressman Bruce Alger who (if still alive) needed to be warned about LBJ having "the most horrible death imaginable" in store for him. This is followed by the "who would ever dream that the m*****f***** was a N***" rant. Doesn't it seem more likely that the N-word refers to LBJ than to Lamar Hunt?

Full transcription here.

Or, is it possible he's referring to someone far more obscure?
Texas gunrunner Robert McKeown said Ruby ‘had a whole lot of jeeps he wanted to get to Castro.’ Ruby wanted McKeown to write a personal letter of introduction to Castro for Ruby so he could talk to Castro about releasing some unnamed friends detained in Havana. At that time, Santo Trafficante was being held at the Trescornia detention center in Cuba. Was Ruby instrumental in winning Trafficante's release at that time? John Wilson Hudson (a.k.a. John Wilson), an English journalist supposedly detained with Trafficante in the camp, indicated that Ruby came to see Trafficante in Trescornia. After Ruby shot Oswald, according to CIA cables, Wilson contacted the American Embassy and reported that "an American gangster called Santo . . . was visited by an American gangster type named Ruby." If Ruby was trying to sell jeeps to Castro, as McKeown said, was this an arms-for-hostages type deal? Get Castro the jeeps and get Trafficante out of jail? Recent events remind us this certainly wouldn't have been the only such effort in history. Trafficante was released from the detention center in August,1959, possibly just after Ruby's appearance there.” 

. . . Kantor goes on: “U.S. embassy records in London referred to Wilson only as a self-described ‘free-lance journalist,’ residing in Chile during most of the 1940s and 1950s. Wilson told American embassy officials that he actually had been working for Cuban dictator Batista in the late 1950s and was deported by Castro after a term of imprisonment in 1959… “But a confidential November 28, 1963, memorandum from the office of Richard M. Helms, at that time CIA deputy director for plans, reveals much more about Wilson. The CIA file on him went back to 1951.”

            The confidential November 28, 1963 memorandum by Helms was sent to Sam Papich at the FBI. The file, wrote Kantor, “shows that Wilson [was] well educated at Oxford University [England], had been born in Liverpool, December 29, 1916, had reached Chile on January 28, 1939, from Buenos Aires, and ‘was a contact of one Bert Sucharov, a suspected Soviet agent in Santiago, Chile.’” 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the question of John Wilson - Hudson

Hank Albarelli writes in Coup in Dallas ...

The authors have unearthed information on Wilson-Hudson that is no less than intriguing and germane to our story. Described in government documents as having brown hair, blue-green eyes, a ruddy complexion, a small mustache, and wearing glasses, the official observed him as being very intelligent, astute, and well informed on current events. He carried with him a UN press pass (his wife, Eliana Gabriela, was active with the UN) issued in Santiago, as well as a document authorizing him to enter at will the Los Cerrillos airport in the country’s Capital at any time, issued by the International Police Section of the Chilean Investigation Service. 

            Gleaned from a number of CIA documents we learned the following: 

(1) Wilson-Hudson was a Spanish citizen of British descent, who resided sometimes in Madrid and sometimes in Chile. He first arrived in Chile on 28 January 1939 bearing a Spanish passport. He was born in Liverpool, England on 29 December 1916 or 1917. He studied at Oxford University in England and left his studies there in July 1936 “to enlist as a volunteer in the Spanish Loyalist Forces, whereupon he acquired his Spanish citizenship.” Wilson-Hudson was married to Eliana [Gabriella Sara] Bronfman-[Weinstein].

(2) Wilson-Hudson, while in Chile, in the capacity as a journalist “opened a one-man crusade against the British Government, in violation of restrictions placed on such activities by foreigners in Chile.”

(3) Wilson-Hudson’s businesses were described by the CIA as “consisting of trade in copper, lead, and Sulphur.” In the late 1950s, he traded in illicit nickel. 

(4) A CIA report read: “Another report dated 20 June 1959 from a usually reliable source stated that PAUL HUGHES, an American soldier of fortune, claimed to have at his disposal three aircraft, including one bomber, and planned to launch an attack on Puerto Cabanas, Nicaragua, during the weekend of 27–28 June 1959. Hughes said that Carl WILSON, a British journalist, and about 65 volunteers would join him in the attack. Source commented that HUGHES also vaguely spoke of possibly bombing Managua for the psychological effect. WILSON said that Castro had no knowledge of HUGHES’ plan.

(5) United Press International carried the story datelined 1 July 1959 from Havana, Cuba, saying that Police had raided a private home in suburban Biltmore the day before and seized a large quantity of arms and arrested three Americans and a Briton. The Americans were identified as Paul HUGHES, an officer in Castro’s rebel army; Efron R. PICHARDO, of Miami, Florida; and Joseph BARDOR, of Los Angeles, California. The Briton was listed as Carl John WILSON. 

A Nickel Deal in the Midst of an Assassination Plot

Analysis of a string of Lafitte datebook entries supports the hypothesis that Pierre was at least privy to, if not the orchestrator of, yet another nickel transaction that was underway in the summer and fall of 1963, and that John Wilson-Hudson was involved. 

June 7, 1963

Else [sic]  and W’s wife= shipment $

-John ‘Wilson-H- —Ruby 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Or, is it possible he's referring to someone far more obscure?
Texas gunrunner Robert McKeown said Ruby ‘had a whole lot of jeeps he wanted to get to Castro.’ Ruby wanted McKeown to write a personal letter of introduction to Castro for Ruby so he could talk to Castro about releasing some unnamed friends detained in Havana. At that time, Santo Trafficante was being held at the Trescornia detention center in Cuba. Was Ruby instrumental in winning Trafficante's release at that time? John Wilson Hudson (a.k.a. John Wilson), an English journalist supposedly detained with Trafficante in the camp, indicated that Ruby came to see Trafficante in Trescornia. After Ruby shot Oswald, according to CIA cables, Wilson contacted the American Embassy and reported that "an American gangster called Santo . . . was visited by an American gangster type named Ruby." If Ruby was trying to sell jeeps to Castro, as McKeown said, was this an arms-for-hostages type deal? Get Castro the jeeps and get Trafficante out of jail? Recent events remind us this certainly wouldn't have been the only such effort in history. Trafficante was released from the detention center in August,1959, possibly just after Ruby's appearance there.” 
 

. . . Kantor goes on: “U.S. embassy records in London referred to Wilson only as a self-described ‘free-lance journalist,’ residing in Chile during most of the 1940s and 1950s. Wilson told American embassy officials that he actually had been working for Cuban dictator Batista in the late 1950s and was deported by Castro after a term of imprisonment in 1959… “But a confidential November 28, 1963, memorandum from the office of Richard M. Helms, at that time CIA deputy director for plans, reveals much more about Wilson. The CIA file on him went back to 1951.”

            The confidential November 28, 1963 memorandum by Helms was sent to Sam Papich at the FBI. The file, wrote Kantor, “shows that Wilson [was] well educated at Oxford University [England], had been born in Liverpool, December 29, 1916, had reached Chile on January 28, 1939, from Buenos Aires, and ‘was a contact of one Bert Sucharov, a suspected Soviet agent in Santiago, Chile.’” 

We knew from government records that the enigmatic John Wilson-Hudson, named on several key dates in the 1963 datebook kept by assassination project manager Pierre Lafitte, was the alleged journalist who conveniently named Dallas nightclub owner Jack Ruby as an associate of Mafia don Santo Trafficante. We further learned from the research of A. J. Weberman and Michael Canfield, authors of Coup d’État in America, that Wilson-Hudson had in 1939 formed a version of the US isolationist pressure group, the America First Committee, in Santiago, Chile, known there as The Universal Peace Movement. That long buried aspect of Wilson-Hudson’s history began to make sense of the web the enigmatic John Hudson found himself in two decades later when he was imprisoned by Cuban revolutionary Fidel Castro.

. . . The significance of the October 30th [Lafitte datebook] entry, made just one day after Lafitte tells us about the “Lancelot Planning” is volatile because there is an inexplicable similarity between it and an entry in one of Jack Ruby's notebooks which Dallas police located on the day Oswald was shot. It reads: "October 29, 1963 -- John Wilson -- bond." The FBI checked Dallas police and sheriff's records to determine if a “John Wilson” had made bond. They also consulted two different private attorneys whose names were John Wilson, both of whom indicated they had not dealt with Ruby. The FBI concluded there was no reason for the notebook entry. We now know otherwise.

 

 

Edited by Leslie Sharp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Presumably Carl John Wilson is the same person? John Wilson mentioned in a Ruby notebook? Sulfur and nickel? Madrid? Fascist? Lots of questions. L

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I finally ordered Coup In Dallas yesterday so maybe I'll start getting caught up on this thread and a couple of others in the next few weeks.  My first thought when I read sulfur was, somehow related to freeport sulfur (?), which I don't remember the details about.

As an aside, I came across this image while thumbing back through Joan Mellen's Our Man In Hati.

LIFE MAGAZINE APRIL 26 1968 THE FRENCH SPY SCANDAL | eBay

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Presumably Carl John Wilson is the same person? John Wilson mentioned in a Ruby notebook? Sulfur and nickel? Madrid? Fascist? Lots of questions. L

Difficult to dismiss out of hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...