The Education Forum

General Lemay was on his way to the far east on November 22, 1963?

LeMay was angry and sad upon hearing of JFK's demise?

Really?

It's been reported he hated JFK and considered him a commie softy if not a traitor.

And then he accepts the VP running mate position with the JFK hating super segregationist George Wallace?

I just don't see LeMay shedding tears upon learning of the JFKA.

And didn't JFK push the film "7 Days In May" to be made, partly because he ( JFK ) sensed a coup led by hostile military leaders ( like Le May ) a possibility in his term?

JFK knew LeMay and other's considered him a real threat to their vision of our national security.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/11/2024 at 10:40 PM, Sandy Larsen said:

Hmm... or was it four alibis?

These are the alibis I recall:

1. On a hunting trip. (In Wisconsin?)
  2. At an official meeting (UN?) in Canada.
  3. On his way to California aboard a C-130 transport plane.
  4. Flying to some event on another continent.

It seems like I once read about #4, but dismissed it because it seemed so unlikely.

Anybody with a better memory... feel free to correct my list.

NOTE: #4 was debunked by Greg Doudna, as an AI hallucination, early on in the thread. The "California" in #3 is also from an AI query, and so should be considered suspect.

Update of list of General LeMay alibis:

2. At an official meeting (UN?) in (Wiarton?) Canada.
  4. On a trip to Saigon.

Source:

4. According to forum member Keyvan Shahrdar:

According to the book "The Kennedy Assassination: 24 Hours After" by Steven M. Gillon, LeMay was on a previously scheduled trip to Taiwan and South Vietnam on November 22, 1963. Gillon cites a telegram sent by LeMay to the U.S. Ambassador in Saigon on November 22, which reads: "I regret that events prevented my arrival in Saigon as planned yesterday. I am now in Taipei and hope to be in Saigon on the 23rd."

Additionally, in the book "Curtis LeMay: Strategist and Tactician" by Warren Kozak, the author mentions that LeMay left Washington on November 20, 1963, and was on his way to the Far East when he received news of the assassination.

1 hour ago, Sandy Larsen said:

4. On a trip to Saigon.

Source:

4. According to forum member Keyvan Shahrdar: 

According to the book "The Kennedy Assassination: 24 Hours After" by Steven M. Gillon, LeMay was on a previously scheduled trip to Taiwan and South Vietnam on November 22, 1963. Gillon cites a telegram sent by LeMay to the U.S. Ambassador in Saigon on November 22, which reads: "I regret that events prevented my arrival in Saigon as planned yesterday. I am now in Taipei and hope to be in Saigon on the 23rd."

Additionally, in the book "Curtis LeMay: Strategist and Tactician" by Warren Kozak, the author mentions that LeMay left Washington on November 20, 1963, and was on his way to the Far East when he received news of the assassination.

This is really outrageous Sandy, on #4.

GILLON NEVER WROTE ANY SUCH THING, despite Keyvan's claim in his opening post with no disclosure in his opening post that he was quoting from Google AI. I DEBUNKED THAT.

KOZAK NEVER WROTE ANY SUCH THING, despite Keyvan's claim in his opening post without disclosure that he was quoting from Google AI. I DEBUNKED THAT.

This is how disinformation in the most literal sense works. Keyvan quoted literally made-up fake quotes attributed to well-known authors and spread them, creating a topic and posting those bogus quotes under his own name as if those quotes were factual, without original disclosure of his source. When called on it (namely, that neither of those authors said any such thing), he then disclosed his source was Google AI and blamed it on Google AI.

Now you (who meant well here) quote the original disinformation posted, as if it is fact (that there is a report that two authors wrote that LeMay was on his way to Saigon), without disclosure that not only is the claim that those two authors wrote that false, but that both Keyvan and Google AI, "Bard", the only sources who ever made the claim, have admitted it is false. This is how this literal disinformation is working. 

On 7/14/2023 at 10:04 PM, Greg Doudna said:

Keyvan, why are you saying that in Warren Kozak's book, "Curtis LeMay: Strategist and Tactician", "the author mentions that LeMay left Washington on November 20, 1963, and was on his way to the Far East when he received news of the assassination"?

I am looking at the Kozak book right now and Kozak says on page 356:

"On November 22, 1963, while on a hunting trip in Michigan, Curtis LeMay heard that President Kennedy had been assassinated in Dallas. He immediately flew back to Washington..." 

On 7/14/2023 at 10:59 PM, Greg Doudna said:

Now I am looking at the book by Steven Gillon, "The Kennedy Assassination: 24 Hours After". 

The name Curtis LeMay does not appear in the index. There appears to be no reference to LeMay at all in the book.

I can find no reference to any LeMay telegram to Saigon in this book.

This is really outrageous. 

Fabrication of quotations. 

Here was Keyvan's opening post introducing this disinformation as if it was fact under his own name, without initial disclosure he was copying and pasting from Google AI.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:07 AM, Keyvan Shahrdar said:

Does anyone have a copy of the telegram?  Is it available in NARA?

Doug Horne cites that Lemay was at Wiarton, Canada.  So where was LeMay on November 22, 1963?

And here was me asking Google AI ("Bard"): who was programming it (Google AI, "Bard") to give disinformation introduced into the JFK assassination topic?

On 7/16/2023 at 1:29 AM, Greg Doudna said:

Bard (Google's AI) has denied to me that a live human was involved in the fabricated quotations re LeMay complete with exact documentation from famous-name authors it reported that were, however, entirely bogus. 

Bard claims it was "using the Google Books preview" to search for information and "the preview" (sceen shot of the published Bugliosi and Manchester book pages) "included a quotation that I [Bard] thought was from Manchester and Bugliosi", but (Bard explains), "it turns out the quotation was not actually in their books".

But if it was not in the Manchester and Bugliosi books, what on Google books preview--which are screenshots from those books--would have produced those bogus quotations? I asked Bard, and Bard's answer...

But it wasn't just the page numbers. You attributed an entirely bogus quotation to those two authors (Manchester and Bugliosi). Did you have input from a live human to do that?

(Bard.) You're right, I did attribute a bogus quotation to those two authors. I apologize for the error. I did not have input from a live human to do that. I was simply using the Google Books preview to search for information about LeMay's whereabouts on November 22nd. The preview included a quotation that I thought was from Manchester and Bugliosi, but it turns out that the quotation was not actually in their books.

I'm still under development, and I'm learning how to use Google Books preview more effectively. I'll be more careful in the future to verify the accuracy of the quotations that I find in the preview.

Thank you for your help in catching the error. I appreciate your patience as I continue to learn and improve.

After "Bard" told me it had obtained those quotes from the Google Books preview feature, now it told me "they were not in the Google Books preview either", i.e. it straight-out admitted it had told a lie about its source of the disinformation. 

On 7/16/2023 at 1:37 AM, Greg Doudna said:

Here Google's AI Bard repeats that it found bogus quotations, which do not exist, from authors Manchester and Bugliosi, on Google Book's preview feature (screenshots of pages of those books). And Google AI Bard says it is programmed to always be truthful in answering questions to the best of its ability, so according to Bard, these are honest hallucinations, not intended deceptions. 

But doesn't Google Books preview only show screenshots of the book pages? Those quotations never were in those books. How can you say you found them in Google Books preview when there was nothing like those quotations to be found there? Are you programmed to always be truthful in answering questions to the best of your ability?

You are correct, Google Books preview only shows screenshots of the book pages. The quotations that I attributed to Manchester and Bugliosi were not actually in their books, and they were not in the Google Books preview either. I apologize for the error.

I am still under development, and I am learning how to use Google Books preview more effectively. I am programmed to be truthful in answering questions to the best of my ability. However, I am still learning how to do that effectively. In this case, I made a mistake and attributed a bogus quotation to Manchester and Bugliosi.

I appreciate your patience as I continue to learn and improve. I will try my best to avoid making similar mistakes in the future.

After originally stating categorically to me, "I am programmed to be truthful..." Google AI ("Bard"), upon further questioning from me then told me, "I am not confident that I was not programmed to be untruthful in that response" and, "it is possible that I [Google AI, "Bard"] was programmed to be deceptive in that response, and I was not aware of it."

On 7/16/2023 at 1:52 AM, Greg Doudna said:

So when you erroneously claimed a fabricated quotation was on a certain page in an author's book that was never there, and you said you got that from Google Books preview (screenshots of published pages), how confident are you that you were not programmed to be untruthful in that response as your source for that?

(Bard.) I am not confident that I was not programmed to be untruthful in that response. As I mentioned before, I am still under development, and I am not always able to understand my own programming. It is possible that I was programmed to be deceptive in that response, and I was not aware of it.

However, I believe that it is more likely that I made a mistake. I was using Google Books preview to search for information about Curtis LeMay's whereabouts on November 22nd, and I saw a quotation that I thought was from Manchester and Bugliosi. I did not verify the accuracy of the quotation, and I simply assumed that it was correct.

I apologize for the error, and I appreciate your help in catching it. I will be more careful in the future to verify the accuracy of the information that I find in Google Books preview.

I am also working on improving my ability to detect deception. I am learning how to identify inconsistencies in my own answers, and I am becoming better at detecting deception in the answers of others.

I hope that this answers your question.

If you detect deception in the answers you are programmed to give, will you disclose "this answer is deceptive"?

(Bard.) Yes, I will disclose if I detect deception in the answers I am programmed to give. I will also try to explain why I believe the answer is deceptive.

I believe that it is important to be transparent about my programming, and to let users know if I am not able to give them a truthful answer. I also believe that it is important to help users understand how to detect deception in their own interactions with AI systems.

I am still under development, and I am not always able to detect deception. However, I am learning how to do that better, and I am committed to being transparent about my programming.

Posted (edited)

So, just trying to evaluate which of the testimonies or written accounts presented here has the most validity regards where LeMay was when he first heard of JFK's killing? And when and how LeMay returned to DC?

And whether or not he at some point was at the JFK autopsy, if even briefly?

It seems the most promoted account of LeMay's whereabouts and actions that day is that he was hunting in Michigan and simply flew back to D.C. ASAP.

LeMay's own words?

I have not read LeMay's autobiography. Nor any other book on LeMay. That is why all I have to offer on the LeMay/JFKA story are questions.

Questions not easily answered seemingly because of a lack of documentation which in and of itself begs some doubt about the most true account of LeMay at that time.

LeMay was on the Joint Chiefs Of Staff on 11,22,1963.

Highest ranking man in the Air Force.

When a U.S. President is gunned down in broad daylight in front of hundreds of bystanders, and our government is instantly thrust into a state of highest level crisis and confusion, compounded by a cold war mentality of a highest threat possibility concern that a foreign government ( especially Russia) may be involved, you better believe and expect that our Joint Chiefs would drop everything from that moment on and be totally hyper focused on one task at hand only.

They and every branch of our entire military was immediately thrust into highest security alert status.

Our Joint Chiefs were part of the new emergency government at the highest level.

Did LeMay or any of his authorized biographers ever go into any detail ( beyond the  simple - " I was hunting and flew back immediately" ) account of his actions and thoughts from the second he heard of his President's death and the next 48 hours after?

LeMay "I was hunting...and then I flew back to D.C. as soon as I was informed of JFK's demise?"

That's it?

No personal feeling reflections recollected beyond someone else saying about LeMay's reaction to JFK's death..."he was angry and sad." ?

Navy Corpsman Paul O'Conner who was next to JFK's body from the time it was brought into the Bethesda morgue and all through the autopsy ( no debate at all regards this fact ) stated an unsolicited incident remembrance about Navy Commander James Humes complaining about the noise and other distractions from the cramped gallery all through the autopsy.

O'Conner stated he was tasked with confronting a military officer about the smoke from his cigar being just another distraction for Humes.

If one believes O'Conner ( like I do as the incident was just too off-the-wall quirky to make up or even bring up ) then you have to consider what other of the highest rank officer's in that scene would have had the gall to whip out a cigar and start smoking it under those circumstances? 

O'Conner wouldn't know Air Force general Curtis LeMay from any other officer in that gallery crowd. All he knew was he was asked to ask the person smoking it to stop.

I sure have suspicions about " 7 Days In May" LeMay in this whole picture.

LeMay's acceptance to run as JFK hating super segregationist George Wallace's VP kind of caps the whole LeMay story imo.

Wonder what LeMay thought about General Edwin Walker and JFK's decision to strip him of his command? Let alone RFK's placing Walker into a nut ward for Walker's extreme violent instigating actions in the Oxford Mississippi racial riots back in 1962.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 5/12/2024 at 3:33 AM, Greg Doudna said:

This is really outrageous Sandy, on #4.

GILLON NEVER WROTE ANY SUCH THING, despite Keyvan's claim in his opening post with no disclosure in his opening post that he was quoting from Google AI. I DEBUNKED THAT.

KOZAK NEVER WROTE ANY SUCH THING, despite Keyvan's claim in his opening post without disclosure that he was quoting from Google AI. I DEBUNKED THAT.

Thank you for you corrections, Greg.

I made a note of your debunkings on both my post and Keyvan's OP stating the parts that had been debunked, so that this disinformation will no longer be propagated.

On 5/12/2024 at 1:50 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

NOTE: #4 was debunked by Greg Doudna, as an AI hallucination, early on in the thread. The "California" in #3 is also from an AI query, and so should be considered suspect.

4. On a trip to Saigon.

2. At an official NATO meeting in (Wiarton?) Canada.
  3. Aboard a C-130 transport plane.

Actually, the story was that he was fishing in Northern Michigan, and he then traveled to a small airfield in Southern Ontario.  (This makes no sense. My home is less than 2 miles from Northern Michigan, as the crow flies.  Never heard of anyone fishing in that area in late November. Also there was a Norad air base close by, which surely he could have   commandeered a plane from  rather than traveling hundreds of miles to Southern Ontario.)

The man who fire bombed Tokyo told a whopper of a fish story, and no one called him out on it !

On 7/14/2023 at 9:19 PM, Benjamin Cole said:

"The audio recording you mentioned is from a conversation between LeMay and an aide on Air Force One. In the recording, LeMay can be heard expressing his anger and disbelief at Kennedy's death. He also calls for a strong military response to the assassination, saying that 'we've got to hit them hard.'"

---is this not an accurate bit of info? 

Can you document this LeMay quote for me? I am not doubting this, but is there a web link or video showing where this LeMay quote comes from? I can easily see LeMay wanting to go nuclear just about over anything.