The Education Forum

NEW JFK DOC Release - April 27, 2023. 355 Docs

Yes, I just heard about this from my main source on the subject.

I wonder if these will be new or same old with less redactions.

This looks to be an unreacted version of one that was redacted in the 2017 and 2018 releases

List of personnel stationed in Mexico City during the time that Oswald contacted the Cuban and Russian embassies.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2023/104-10307-10067.pdf

Example of a previous redacted one

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10307-10067.pdf

Could just be because some were still alive perhaps but you never know...

18 hours ago, David Butler said:

List of personnel stationed in Mexico City during the time that Oswald contacted the Cuban and Russian embassies.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2023/104-10307-10067.pdf

Interesting... says Phillips was there 61-64 when I was under the impression he didn't arrive until October 7, 1963... ???

Just in time for the Oct 8th memo to CIA HQ about Oswald... hmmmm :huh:

In Atlee's personal papers it claims 61-65 for Mexico...  can anyone confirm his being there starting in 1961? I thought Cuba was his specific purpose

63-10-07PHILLIPStoMexicoCityOCT7.thumb.jpg.f17448698a43f074749daa12978fe4fb.jpg

David, I can't give you a specific source from memory but my recollection is that Phillips went to Mexico City in late 61 as the whole Cuba Project went into something of a limbo in the months following the Bay of Pigs.  Certainly he was there in 62 and officially in 63 he began wearing two hats by late summer, being selected by Fitzgerald for SAS and assigned duties in MC for the new AMWORLD project that began to jell during the fall.  However his performance review for 63 still came out of MC Station, my files on Phillips are in deep storage but as I recall he did receive two disciplinary citations in 62, one a minor security violation and another one related to some strange effort against the Russian embassy involving radioactive materials - no details on that. 

1 hour ago, Joseph Backes said:

David Josephs,

A better copy for the doc image you posted - RIF #104-10528-10125. The one released in 1999 is clearest for reading the text.  

1 hour ago, Larry Hancock said:

David, I can't give you a specific source from memory but my recollection is that Phillips went to Mexico City in late 61 as the whole Cuba Project went into something of a limbo in the months following the Bay of Pigs.  Certainly he was there in 62 and officially in 63 he began wearing two hats by late summer, being selected by Fitzgerald for SAS and assigned duties in MC for the new AMWORLD project that began to jell during the fall.  However his performance review for 63 still came out of MC Station, my files on Phillips are in deep storage but as I recall he did receive two disciplinary citations in 62, one a minor security violation and another one related to some strange effort against the Russian embassy involving radioactive materials - no details on that. 

Thanks guys.. I stayed so focused on the 26th thru the 4th I never did dive deep into where DAP was prior.

That he arrives on the 7th and all hell breaks loose on the 8th and beyond...AND his past as a CI operative, just seem obvious his stamp on this whole Mexico thing.  

I notice too that it does not mention HUNT being there, ever.  Kind of hard to believe

David Atlee Phillips security violations

1.) RIF #104-10128-10379

2.) 104-10128-10114 - An handwritten note, by Frank Hawley, PP/staff, ext. 8606.   

3.) 104-10128-10115 - Another handwritten note, by Frank Hawley, PP/staff, ext. 8606.

These last two are interesting. Apparently, DAP who is about to go somewhere covertly publicly entered an overt CIA building to obtain necessary shots instead of discreetly going to a private medical facility to get them.  He was not allowed to go into any overt CIA building.  This was against his Clandestine Services instructions. He entered the overt CIA building on a visitors pass.  Hawley's office is going to ST/C about the matter.  DAP entered agency bldgs to get debriefed on his previous assignments and to get his shots for his next assignment, which now presumably because of this security violation is being delayed 45 to 60 days.  

DAP sounds like a Wile E Coyote type genius here.  

Another one 

104-10128-10380 DAP lost an envelope given to him with his name on it and the instruction "hand carry."  It was a CIA job application for Norman Satterwaite.  So, while signing in at a guard's desk he left that behind. He went back 15 minutes later but the guard turned it in to OS.  Apparently, this was his first security violation. This was Aug 22, 1955

104-10128-10381 - They cancel DAP covert security clearance. Now this is not as bad as you might think.  He was issued one 30July 1954. But, now he is a staff officer.  So, it seems he got a promotion and is in the club.  

This one's interesting.  It's how the CIA wants to use DAP, as a commercial business man who own a printing and publishing business in Santiago, Chile.  DAP is cleared for use in the Fulminator project. He is to print OPC propaganda material, and "himself for cut-out and other agent functions in connection with specific OPC projects.  It is planned to make him contract agent" This doc is date 17 Dec 1951

Sounds very similar to what LHO was doing in New Orleans in the summer of 1963.  

104-10178-10028.

Edited by Joseph Backes

5 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

my recollection is that Phillips went to Mexico City in late 61

That is correct:

This document reports his reassignment:

REQUEST FOR PERSONNEL ACTION FOR PHILLIPS, DAVID A (maryferrell.org)

This doc indicates he started in September:

CIA OP FILES ON DAVID ATLEE PHILLIPS. (maryferrell.org)

The next document in the same file mentions his conversation with Bissel in June of '61 when they arrived at the decision for him to go to Mexico.