The Education Forum

Life Magazine November 8th, 1963. Just 14 days prior to Assassination

3 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I don't understand Charles. Naming a child after oneself is a common practice, no?

Sandy, Charles is talking about Bobby Baker naming his youngest son Lyndon Baines Johnson.  See the caption under the picture titled Bobby's Family.  The picture shows 3 kids.  The caption mentions they by then had another daughter age 3 and son, LBJ age 1.

18 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Political Truth: The Media and the Assassination of President Kennedy: Joseph McBride: 9781939795618: Amazon.com: Books

From page 108.

"On the very day of the assassination, Johnson had been in a state of anxiety because the scandal over his finances was about to break.  Prodded by Robert Kennedy and others who wanted Johnson off the ticket in 1964, Life had a task force of nine reporters meeting with the magazines' managing editor at that very moment in New York discussing a blockbuster expose' series on "Lyndon Johnson's Money" that might have began running in the November 29 issue.  . . . The scandal was breaking fast . . . ,  but news of the assassination caused the meeting to be abruptly terminated, and the expose' did not run,"

There was also a hearing on LBJ's corruption taking place on Capitol Hill on the day of the assassination. The hearing stopped with the news from Dallas and never resumed.

4 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

There was also a hearing on LBJ's corruption taking place on Capitol Hill on the day of the assassination. The hearing stopped with the news from Dallas and never resumed.

That was yet another amazing aspect to the JFKA.  

And a lesson in how modern media, in combination with a political party and state apparatus, can sanitize, or demonize, almost anybody. 

15 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Sandy, Charles is talking about Bobby Baker naming his youngest son Lyndon Baines Johnson.

Oh! Ha ha okay! I didn't open or pay attention to the link and just naturally assumed it was something about LBJ. That's what I get for being lazy.

Still, some people do name a child after a person they respect. But not including the last name. Maybe he wanted to call the child LBJ as a nickname rather than just LB?

5 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

I remember this.  Just not all the details.  The guy was seeking some sort of concession and LBJ required him to buy ad time on KLBJ in Austin, while he was based in New England.  LBJ also requiring the guy to buy him an expensive console stereo for his home.  Am I totally off base here?

It is strange that two investigations of LBJ in Washington on 11/22/63 ended with the shots in Dallas.

34 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

I remember this.  Just not all the details.  The guy was seeking some sort of concession and LBJ required him to buy ad time on KLBJ in Austin, while he was based in New England.  LBJ also requiring the guy to buy him an expensive console stereo for his home.  Am I totally off base here?

It is strange that two investigations of LBJ in Washington on 11/22/63 ended with the shots in Dallas.

Yes. One could almost believe that LBJ hatched the whole plot on the morning of November 22.

1 hour ago, Ron Ecker said:

Yes. One could almost believe that LBJ hatched the whole plot on the morning of November 22.

I personally don't believe LBJ hatched the plot at all.  I'm probably wrong on one aspect.  The Life Magazine meeting likely took place in NYC as I think that was their headquarters.  

But still.  Life in NYC, a Congressional investigation in DC?  In another thread I've mentioned an ongoing investigation and prosecution by RFK's Department of Justice and the IRS of Dallas Organized Crime gambling activities.  Which also in effect died that day.  

Edited by Ron Bulman

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I personally don't believe LBJ hatched the plot at all. 

He was a co-conspirator according to self-described "benchwarmer" E. Howard Hunt in his so-called deathbed confession. (I read somewhere that with the confession Hunt was just trying to leave his son something to make money with.)  Didn't Jack Ruby also say something that implicated LBJ? I can't remember exactly. It seems odd, though, that LBJ would say that he thought the CIA may have been involved if in fact he knew that the CIA was involved. Maybe he said it as a good lead in case anything should happen to him. And what was in that last meal that he ate  before dying of a "heart attack"? (As I remember it was a chicken sandwich, but I may be thinking of the LBJ quote "I may not know much, but I know chicken **** from chicken salad.") 

Edited by Ron Ecker

On 6/7/2023 at 9:33 PM, Sandy Larsen said:

Still, some people do name a child after a person they respect.

I remember reading years ago about a guy who named his child Adolf Hitler. When asked why, he said he just wanted to name him after someone who was famous.

Yeah, that makes sense.