The Education Forum

A New Peace Speech? Coming June 20th

Boy, should this be interesting or what?

https://www.kennedy24.com/peace-and-diplomacy

What I am interested in, besides the ideas, is how the MSM will cover it.

I mean the obvious reference point would be the original speech.

But, like Jim Douglass noted in his book, the Peace Speech was actually more publicized in the USSR than in the USA.

Nice point of entry, which I predict will be ignored. As will this speech.

BTW, let me add, in my opinion JFK made three great speeches.

The 1957 Algeria speech, which he was pilloried for by something like a 3-1 margin in the press.  And which almost no one showed up for in the senate.

The Peace Speech.

The Civil RIghts speech.

How many presidents can claim that?

Incredibly, the last two were made within 48 hours of each other.  Which is kind of stunning when you think of it.

19 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

BTW, let me add, in my opinion JFK made three great speeches.

The 1957 Algeria speech, which he was pilloried for by something like a 3-1 margin in the press.  And which almost no one showed up for in the senate.

The Peace Speech.

The Civil RIghts speech.

How many presidents can claim that?

Incredibly, the last two were made within 48 hours of each other.  Which is kind of stunning when you think of it.

It is stunning. JFK perhaps felt some urgency. Or perhaps his liberal ideas, which as you point out go back at least 10 years prior, penetrated more deeply into his psyche. I know, from prior exchanges, that you don’t think LSD played any part in this, and during those exchanges certainly proved to me that he was already on board with self determination for the third world and Civil rights at home. But having undergone personal transformation through psychedelics I can say that intellectual ideas that passed the Acid test transformed into heart centered ones. There is something about these speeches - they always make me cry, especially when I try to read certain passages out loud to friends. I choke up because they really touch something deep in me. 

Regardless of right or wrong---and I think Putin has been in the wrong, bringing about horrid human carnage in response to stupid Western hubris---it sure looks like an armistice is the best of bad options. 

Or we could see a few hundreds thousand more casualties, and then an armistice. 

Layman's IMHO: By digging in defensive lines outlining their occupied territories, it sure looks like Russia wants the territory it has now, but has given up on the idea of marching on Kyiv. Putin is evidently happy to send missiles into Kyiv, but leave it unoccupied. 

Can RFK Jr. being about an armistice? He is probably the best hope. 

When I first read the Algeria speech, i was kind of taken aback.  I mean he said this in 1957?

Even though i was involved in this endeavor I had never read it before.  It was and is kind of hidden.

But when you get to the end as he says something like: Have we all forgotten what just happened three years ago at DIen Bien Phu?

Do we really need a repeat of that now in Africa?  What we should do is try to save the French nation, and free Africa.

I read somewhere that JFK studied part time for a year on that speech.  Can you imagine a politician doing that?

We know the Peace Speech was due to Norman Cousins.  Man when I see that film A President Betrayed, with Cousins and his family in Nikita K's villa. Whew.  And he said Nikita wanted Kennedy to take a first step.  That is why it was so well publicized in the USSR.

From my reading, it was Bobby Kennedy who told JFK to make the civil rights speech that night after the showdown with Wallace.  And though it has been worked on for awhile-- the first draft was by Richard Yates--Kennedy went off script at the end and ad libbed it.  Which shows you where he was at on the issue.

Edited by James DiEugenio

So we're going to advertise every RFK speech in the future? But somehow it's more legitimate than Ben because Jim posts it? Though I'm sure Ben Loves it.

Paul I don't mean to pick on your comments.

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Or perhaps his liberal ideas, which as you point out go back at least 10 years prior, penetrated more deeply into his psyche.

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

I know, from prior exchanges, that you don’t think LSD played any part in this, and during those exchanges certainly proved to me that he was already on board with self determination for the third world and Civil rights at home.

l can also attest to your transformation on psychedelics, but I'm in agreement with Jim on that point.

So self determination is a good thing when Algeria is breaking away from their colonial past but not when Ukraine is breaking away from gun to the head Russian domination?

That's why I asked you guys. You can have different ideas about what to do about Putin's invasion. I think JFK believed, but do you really believe in self determination? .

And you guys think, JFK would have would have been great with negotiating a settlement? Why? You ignore the first 2 years of the JFK presidency.

Paul you're older than me. Jim can only imagine because he's  just read all this stuff through books. With your family background and your Father being a Communist, what were you and your families thoughts during the Cuban missile Crisis? Was Kennedy really such a transcendent figure?

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

I fully think Ukraine should be allowed to determine their future. But the analogy to Algeria or Vietnam leaves me wanting a bit. I think the Monroe doctrine is closer. 
Has anyone taken LSD, or other psychedelics? Did JFK? We don’t know, but it’s likely he had the opportunity. I am refining the original argument I had with Jim. 
Cuban Missile Crisis - recall none of us knew how JFK got that done. Withdrawal of missiles from Turkey was kept secret for a long time. My parents were very pro Castro, but not in favor of a Russian base offshore. If I was Russian I would not be happy with western nukes on my border. So it comes down to whether it’s necessary for Ukraine to have western armies and weapons stationed there. This is where diplomacy completely failed. My understanding from reading about pre invasion negotiations was that Russia’s main point was to keep Ukraine from joining NATO. That’s just not difficult to understand. 

Thanks, I asked because I do think the reaction of your family is very interesting.

But there was no danger of Nato in Ukraine. Biden actually said that  prior to the invasion, and I remember Ben here, in essence calling Biden a pussy and saying he was giving away Ukraine and telling Putin it was fine to invade.

Ukraine joining Nato was not in the foreseeable future, and I'm sure without aggression, could have been avoided.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Paul:

I am not at all comparing Algeria with Ukraine.  I was just trying to locate historically where those speeches came from.

As per psychedelic drugs, JFK did not even smoke cigarettes and he was purely a social drinker.

He really worked hard on that Algeria speech since he knew it was going to be controversial.  He had Jackie translate some articles.  And he studied what FDR had done in  the Middle East. Recall, Algeria was a predominantly Moslem country.  And Kennedy, back in 1957, was already aware of the possible dangers of the rise of Islamic Fundamentalism.

But I agree that a major point of Bobby's speech will probably be a way out of Ukraine.  And JFK's speech would be a decent enough connection there.

PS It was that Richard Yates, the famous novelist of Revolutionary Road. RFK had an eye for talent and ability I guess.

Edited by James DiEugenio

BTW, I am getting worried about Bobby.

I just watched two of his interviews:  The Hill and London Real.

Man he is out there.  On the latter he totally denounced 5 g and the entire group of billionaires who got so much richer during CV 19.  

I hope he was security at his house and does not go out in public functions with a lot of people.

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

BTW, I am getting worried about Bobby.

I just watched two of his interviews:  The Hill and London Real.

Man he is out there.  On the latter he totally denounced 5 g and the entire group of billionaires who got so much richer during CV 19.  

I hope he was security at his house and does not go out in public functions with a lot of people.

If RFK Jr.'s campaign cannot murdered, then...all bets are off. 

Some people here said that when Tucker Carlson out loud on national TV that the CIA was involved in the JFKA, that he would be tossed off the air. Others chortled at that prediction. 

Sure enough, Carlson was tarred as a racist and tossed off the air. 

Here is Rolling Stone connecting RFK to white supremacists: 

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/robert-f-kennedy-childrens-health-defense-gab-1234771558/

"RFK Jr. Group Has Been Cozying Up to White Supremacists

The Democratic presidential candidate's anti-vax group, Children's Health Defense, is active on the far-right platform Gab, Media Matters has reported..."

This reminds of Oliver Stone's film JFK. It hadn't even been released yet and the long knives were out....

I wonder when they will go after his personal life?

That is probably right around the corner.

This kind of reminds me of what they did to Perot.

21 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I wonder when they will go after his personal life?

That is probably right around the corner.

This kind of reminds me of what they did to Perot.

I predicted awhile ago that Rupert Murdoch and the other right wing Republican media moguls who are currently fluffing RFK, Jr. will abruptly turn on him if he ever becomes the Democratic nominee.

They'll suddenly start running stories about RFK, Jr.'s heroin addiction, ex-wife's suicide, etc.

They are chiefly interested in regaining GOP control of the White House and Congress-- to maintain low corporate and income tax rates, and GOP plutocratic control of the SCOTUS and judicial system.

IMO, they are simply using RFK, Jr. to sabotage Joe Biden and the Democratic Party.

How can anyone be sure that Trump will be the  nominee? With his legal problems?  That are still coming down the pipe?

And if its not Trump who will it be?

Can anyone predict that?

44 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

How can anyone be sure that Trump will be the  nominee? With his legal problems?  That are still coming down the pipe?

And if its not Trump who will it be?

Can anyone predict that?

Ron DeSantis?

Rupert Murdoch has been fluffing DeSantis for the past two years.