The Education Forum

Rifles, Radios, & Ramblers, OH MY!

*Full credit to Robert Ward Montenegro for bringing this document to my attention—the following are his words and thoughts, not mine...

The linked document above is a strange find, and ultimately I do not know where to place it's consequence or merit—perhaps more resourceful & systematic minds on this forum can explicate this document better than I alone...

As you can see, the document, to start out, is a pretty straightforward memorandum for CIA's, "...Chief, Supply Division, Office of Logistics..." from an officer within CIA's, "...Depot Stock Control Branch, Special Accounts Unit..." concerning a completed issued material supply inventory, dated 26 September 1963, to the account of an unnamed CIA officer, referenced only by his "...Property-in-use Account..." reference number, "...2805..." 

image.jpeg

Unfortunately, the second point in the document, titled, "...Items turned in on..." & "...Per documents on file..." is completely redacted, so we cannot say for sure that the inventoried materials issued to the account of CIA officer "...2805..." were in his possession after the inventory that was submitted on 26 September 1963.

In any case, let's look at, in sequence, some of the more interesting items issued to CIA officer "...2805..." and a few additional redactions:

image.jpeg

Immediately on page one, we see that CIA officer "...2805..." was issued four "...Antenna, Rhombic, Wind Turbine...", nine "...Clock, Marine Mechanical..." & five "...Binocular, M17A1...", with each of these items tucked innocuously between other issued items like electrician tool kits, filing cabinets, typewriters, and a vacuum cleaner.

On page two, we see some items that may place the multi-bandwidth antennas, naval mechanical clocks, and WWII-era combat binoculars in a suspiciously devious light:

image.jpeg

Sandwiched between redactions of all serial numbers and an entire block of heavy redaction below are one "...Rifle, 7.92...", two "...Rifle, .22...", two "...Shotgun, 12 gage...", one "...Rifle, Sniper, .270..." and one "...Rifle, 30-06..."

So, I'm thinking, special rhombic antennas for sniper team metrological data collection, naval mechanical clocks for precise synchronization of predesignated overlapping volley rifle bullet cones-of-fire, tried & true, accurate, combat binoculars for sniper team spotters, plus, five sniper rifles for a shooter team.

But what about the getaway vehicles, you might ask:

image.jpeg

As you can plainly see above, on the same page as the firearms, we find the following, albeit damaged, material issue entry of two "...Automobile, Sedan, 1961 Chevrolet Corvair, MV#9605 and 9606...", one "...Automobile, Sedan, 1962...", and one "...Station Wagon, 1963 Ford..."

Four getaway vehicles for four sniper teams, me thinks?

Perhaps I am a nutty fruitcake (I do suffer from combat-induced PTSD, so I guess you can level that against me, like newspapermen did against DA Jim Garrison) and these item entries mean absolutely nothing, but then again, perhaps there is something here...

Edited by Paul Brancato

43 minutes ago, Michael Crane said:

I'm not sold on the 12 gauge rifles for use in a ambush.Need to be too close.

Obviously, yes, for Pete sake, you would not use shotguns in an ambush—a redundant and diversionary observation on your part, Mr. Crane.

However, security teams for the snipers, operating under deception that they are police officers arresting suspects, would need close-quarter combat arms.

Kinda like the two policemen carrying shotguns with the infamous "three tramps", who can be seen at the following link:

https://library.uta.edu/digitalgallery/img/10005175

Edited by Paul Brancato

It’s not just shotguns. Isn’t the 30.06 like the Mauser? Anyway, even without knowing exactly who ordered this or for what purpose, let’s at least admit it is an interesting and overlooked document. 

It's certainly an odd assortment of items. In one respect it looks like they were setting up an office/maybe warehouse.  Office equipment, electrical and mechanical tool sets, a forklift?  Then they need five rifles and a shotgun, to protect the place?  Four vehicles for, operations?  Wouldn't such an order normally require an explanation of the need for these items and a place they were to be used?  Plus, wouldn't someone have to sign off on the request approving it?

My antennae went up when I saw "Rifle, 7.92 ." I'm familiar with a 7.62 rifle; that's the standard .308-caliber NATO rifle.

So what's a 7.92?

7.92×57mm Mauser - Wikipedia

Cartridges: The Often Overlooked 8mm Mauser - Gun Digest

9 hours ago, Mark Knight said:

My antennae went up when I saw "Rifle, 7.92 ." I'm familiar with a 7.62 rifle; that's the standard .308-caliber NATO rifle.

So what's a 7.92?

7.92×57mm Mauser - Wikipedia

Cartridges: The Often Overlooked 8mm Mauser - Gun Digest

I’m a bit confused. 7.92 refers to a rifle cartridge for a Mauser? 

Is this a disposition list for operations supplied over several years?  That may account for the variety of rifle calibers.  The 7.92 may have been an unusual weapon that was the only higher powered, untraceable rifle available at a particular time of requisition.

The office equipment may have been for the field office that generated the report.

7 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

I’m a bit confused. 7.92 refers to a rifle cartridge for a Mauser? 

Yes.

The so-called JFK assassination rifle was a 6.5mm Mannlicher-Carcano rifle. The bullet was nominally 6.5mm in diameter [actually slightly larger].

The 7.92 rifle was primarily a Mauser caliber. [Wasn't the Carcano allegedly "Mis"-identified as a Mauser? Interesting coinky-dence, isn't it?]

On 7/4/2023 at 9:46 PM, Paul Brancato said:

Obviously, yes, for Pete sake, you would not use shotguns in an ambush—a redundant and diversionary observation on your part, Mr. Crane.

However, security teams for the snipers, operating under deception that they are police officers arresting suspects, would need close-quarter combat arms.

Kinda like the two policemen carrying shotguns with the infamous "three tramps", who can be seen at the following link:

https://library.uta.edu/digitalgallery/img/10005175

The dilemma? Who was in charge? Who orchestrated the dance to ensure they didn't shoot one another by mistake?

Did Souetre's operation Petit Clamart have similar, potentially disastrous complications because he involved too many in the actual execution of the strategy?  Would Skorzeny turn things loose to Crichton on the ground, or Lansdale, or Morales?  The argument that security teams were essential - and that Lafitte is referencing them in his October 9 entry — is persuasive but it was and remains our contention that Lancelot Project was far less elaborate. Let's see how this unfolds. I remain open.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

30 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

The dilemma? Who was in charge? Who orchestrated the dance to ensure they didn't shoot one another by mistake?

Did Souetre's operation Petit Clamart have similar, potentially disastrous complications?  Would Skorzeny turn things loose to Crichton on the ground, or Lansdale, or Morales?  The argument is sound, but it was and remains our contention that Lancelot Project was far less elaborate. Let's see how this unfolds. I remain open.

Well, Leslie, since you brought up a few names, allow me to speculate:

•  Capt. Jean-René Marie Souètre—Shooter/QJWIN spotter/Paramilitary Plans Officer
  • SS-Obersturmbannführer Otto Johann Anton Skorzeny—QJWIN spotter/Paramilitary Plans Officer/Security Chief/Field Commander
  • COL. John “Jack” Alston Crichton—Paramilitary Plans Officer/Security Liaison/Comptroller/Intelligence Liaison
  •  Maj. Gen. Edward Geary Lansdale—Paramilitary Plans Officer/Security Liaison/Psychological Operations Support/Intelligence Liaison

Bear in mind, this isn't just the murder of a head of state, it is the complete reversal of that administration's domestic & foreign policies, not to mention a permanent cover-up operation.

President Kennedy's murder was not a clique of goons—battalion level or bigger, in military terms.

The mechanics of JFK murder was a small group—company level or smaller, in military terms—but I am not singularly concerned with the mechanical aspects of his murder.

Edited by Robert Montenegro