The Education Forum

When and Where Did the Training Take Place?

Steve Thomas

' . . . Significantly, in 1980, author and expert JFK researcher Dick Russell spoke to Mike Ewing, an investigator for the US House Select Committee on Assassinations, just as the committee was closing operations. Ewing told Russell that Jean Souetre “was connected with people involved with murders or political assassinations in Europe.”

Continued Ewing: “[Souetre] was most definitely in the same circles of OAS-connected killers. The agency [CIA] admits that its own handlers of QJ/WIN and WI/ROUGE were afraid of them; that they were not following CIA directives; and that they were off on assassination plots of their own. The CIA was trying to keep them on a leash because it was afraid to cut them off.” 

Souetre’s companion at the meeting in Lisbon was his compatriot, Guerin-Serac who before he established Aginter Press, had been a French soldier serving in France, before fighting in the Korean Conflict in the early 1950s, and “possibly served as a liaison man between the CIA and the French services.” Guillou/Guerin-Serac had also been a master parachutist in Algeria, “before he deserted the French army and joined the OAS rebellion. (This at the very same time as Jean Rene Souetre.) After Algerian independence and the OAS’s defeat, he emigrated to Spain and then to Portugal, the last colonial empire that appeared willing to fight for Western values over ‘communist imperialism.’”  

Historians Michael Bale and Franco Ferraresi have emphasized Guerin-Serac’s instructive writings for novice terrorists, which, although written over fifty years ago, appear tailor-made for today’s senior terrorists. Some apt excerpts from Guerin-Serac’s manual Missions Spéciales are:

—Subversion acts with appropriate means upon the minds and wills in order to induce them to act outside all logic, against all rules, against all laws. In this way, it conditions individuals and enables one to make use of them as one wishes.

Action psychologique [is] a nonviolent weapon [used] to condition public opinion through the use of the press, the radio, conferences, demonstrations, etc. . . . with the goal of uniting the masses against the authorities.

—Terrorism breaks the population’s resistance, obtains its submission, and provokes a rupture between the population and the authorities. . . . There is a seizure of power over the masses through the creation of a climate of anxiety, insecurity, and danger.

—Selective terrorism . . . destroys the political and administrative apparatus by eliminating the cadres of those organs.

—Indiscriminate terrorism . . . destroys the confidence of the people by disorganizing the masses so as to manipulate them more effectively. 

As mentioned, the two years before forming Aginter, Guerin-Serac both trained and served as a trainer in the arts of sabotage, explosives, and assassination at Otto Skorzeny’s secret training camps outside of Madrid. Indeed, Guerin-Serac, along with Jean Rene Souetre, were considered Skorzeny’s most competent trainers, and they were often called upon to work with US Special Forces who attended the camps. About this same time, claim several European historians, “US Army special forces began a program of targeting Western/NATO installations in Belgium, while disguising themselves as terrorists.”  

In early 1962, when Guerin-Serac first moved to establish Aginter Press, he acted in concert with Robert Leroy*, a French SS officer during the war and WWII Nazi SS officer Otto Skorzeny, both of whom served as the strategic leadership for Aginter. Leroy was a prewar member of Charles Maurras’ Action Française, a Far-Right political group, and then as an active member of La Cagoule’s terrorist underground. He took part in the Requête Carlist militia forces during the Spanish Civil War and then served as a Vichy intelligence operative. He was also a member of the Waffen SS Charlemagne division and was a key member of Otto Skorzeny’s commando forces, where he served as an instructor. Along with Skorzeny, following the end of the war, Leroy served as a lead instructor with Skorzeny’s efforts to train Egyptian leader Abd al-Nasir’s intelligence and security services, after recruiting a hundred German advisers from Nazi soldiers serving during WWII, the SS underground, and from among technical experts with military industries. The purpose was to train Arab guerrillas in commando tactics and in protecting the former Nazi technicians working for Nasir from Israeli “hit” teams. The job was carried out at the CIA’s bequest.”   

Professor Tunander writes revealingly of Aginter: 

[The] international fascist intelligence network, Aginter Press, was established to implement the Strategy of Tension, with support from the Portuguese security service PIDE and the CIA. This network included a unit specializing in the infiltration of anarchist and pro-Chinese groups, and its “correspondents” would use such organizations as a cover for carrying out bombings and other violent attacks. Aginter Press also included a strategic centre for subversion and intoxication [drugging and poisonings] operations, along with an executive action organization that carried out assassinations (most likely the same “pool of assassins” that William Harvey, CIA station Chief in Italy, had recruited in Europe for the CIA’s “Executive Action Capability”). All of these divisions of Aginter Press were under the leadership of French OAS officer and former US liaison officer Captain Yves Guillou (alias Yves Guerin Serac), in collaboration with Robert Leroy, a former French SS officer, and Otto Skorzeny, a senior German SS officer. [Italics added]         A portentous January 1968 affidavit sworn by Aginter Press assassin and Jean Rene Souetre associate Jacques Godard reveals the group’s relationship with certain American persons and organizations: “In the course of our services we had relations with certain persons and organizations like, for example, President Tschombe and with Biafra. We likewise were in charge of relations with the John Birch Society which was an American political group financed especially by Texas oil producers whose activity is absolutely anti-communist. Everywhere where there is a struggle, either open or covert, with communists, the John Birch Society [JBS] lends its financial aid to the people who are struggling against international communism.”   The reader encounters the significance of the Texas oil producers and the Dallas branch of the JBS in Chapter 1, “Lay of the Land,” to further understand the width and breadth of influence of Aginter Press and similar fascist organizations . . . '

*Leroy and Roux

' . . . [Pierre] Lafitte’s notation for November 4th is as intriguing as any in the 1963 datebook. The names “Leroy” and “Roux” appear on either side of sketches that appear to be a representation of “crossfire,” as if he is noting the position of the two men involved in an operation. Because the two names do not appear at any other time in the datebook, it is possible that the date provides us with a clue. On November 1, the manager seems perturbed: “trail run—mistakes a plenty. not good.” The following day, November 2, he draws a smaller version of the sketch for November 4 . . . '

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/9/2023 at 7:13 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Ron,

I was going to bring that up, but others did before I could, so I didn't mention it.

I thought I'd seen a Report in the old DPD Archives, but I don't know that ir made it over when the Archives were transferred to the Portal to Texas History at the University of North Texas Libraries.

Steve Thomas

I found it in Walt Brown's Treachery in Dallas.  Two officers saw "mock target practice going on at the picket fence atop the knoll."  They arrived in time to see the suspects depart in haste.  Thinking it not important they didn't write it up in a report until after the assassination.  "Which the FBI buried."  Unearthed by a FOIA.  Attributed to H 11, pgs. 417-419?  Maybe a librarian understands the last part?

On 9/7/2023 at 4:49 PM, Larry Hancock said:

One of the things the guys at WAVE learned was that any operation they planned which involved the participants knowing any level of detail was quickly compromised - because the Cubans talked among each other.  A cultural thing that they came to accept.

So the practice became to keep them all on call, have them on the payroll, but since you were working with training people  you only needed to give them the minimum logistics orders until they were assembled at the mission launch site.   Not you might still find gossip that was something was going to happen.....but it would be all over the place.  Just like the gossip we find about JFK being at risk starting in the late summer time frame.

What I can't seem to get across is that this was not a new type mission, an infantry ambush against a soft target does which involves no more than a dozen or so people is not a massive operation and the trade off is always how much prep time is actually required balanced with the tolerance for leaks.  In this case I suspect the tactical team had a few weeks notice  in regard to a mission but that they were then isolated, transported and put under strict control in the Dallas area while all elements were finalized and rehearsed.

I know everybody wants something more but its the small scale, special operations with highly trained people that actually work...the ambush/sniper attacks on Castro had required no more than half a dozen people with some minimal support by locals and then they more often failed due to leaks than anything else.

Ron,

It doesn't seem to refer to vol. XI of the WC or vol. Xi of the HSCA, so, I don't know.

There's no explanation at the beginning of his footnotes?

Steve Thomas

14 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Ron,

It doesn't seem to refer to vol. XI of the WC or vol. Xi of the HSCA, so, I don't know.

There's no explanation at the beginning of his footnotes?

Steve Thomas

No Steve, the notes have a prologue, 1 - 5.  From Jean Hill to PDS to Sylvia Meagher to RFK's death.  The H- is used throughout the end notes in different contexts.  Stand alone, like the one I used earlier H-11, 417-419.  Or, CE 1034, 23H 729.  or, CE 2003. 24H 228; Decker 5323, 19 H 456-57; Weitzman (or someone's) comments on November 22 were broadcast on KBOX, CE 3043 26H 599.  

IDK, odd.  My very first thought was HSCA, but no.  Hearing ???  Notes?

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

No Steve, the notes have a prologue, 1 - 5.  From Jean Hill to PDS to Sylvia Meagher to RFK's death.  The H- is used throughout the end notes in different contexts.  Stand alone, like the one I used earlier H-11, 417-419.  Or, CE 1034, 23H 729.  or, CE 2003. 24H 228; Decker 5323, 19 H 456-57; Weitzman (or someone's) comments on November 22 were broadcast on KBOX, CE 3043 26H 599.  

IDK, odd.  My very first thought was HSCA, but no.  Hearing ???  Notes?

Ron,

23H729 would, of course, be vol XXIII of the Warren Hearings and Exhibits, page 729, but H-11 has me stumped.

I thought, at first, it might refer to part of CD 81 - the DPD Case File that they turned over to Waggoner Carr, but I went through those pages and didn't find it.

It has me stumped too.

Steve Thomas

On 9/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Ron,

23H729 would, of course, be vol XXIII of the Warren Hearings and Exhibits, page 729, but H-11 has me stumped.

I thought, at first, it might refer to part of CD 81 - the DPD Case File that they turned over to Waggoner Carr, but I went through those pages and didn't find it.

It has me stumped too.

Steve Thomas

If your stumped I feel better.  You're more research knowledgeable and dig deeper than I.

• 2 months later...

I asked the following earlier and nobody seemed to have an answer. Not even a comment.

How do the shooters get inside buildings for practice? Without those who work there getting suspicious? How about when it's the real thing and they're holding rifles?

It seems like the plotters need to have some cooperation from building dwellers for the shooters who will be inside.

Even those on roofs have to to get in and out through the buildings.

Okay, I understand that they don't need to practice their shooting. But they need to "case the joint" and to plan from where they will be taking their shots. They need to plan how they will get in and out without workers there questioning them.

I think they need the cooperation of someone with authority in the building.

Why was the nobody watching the P. parade from the 6th floor of the TSBD? How convenient for the shooter(s)! (Or the fake shooters used to draw attention away from the real ones?) Wasn't the floor being re-laid for the sole purpose of keeping employees out at assassination time?

@Sandy Larsen great questions.  I thought the original question was related to training, mock sets, sighting in weapons and coordinating teams. You meant reconnaissance.

And I've never come across answers to what are to me the most obvious any experienced detective would ask.

I've thought about most of yours: I think O. Campbell and his partner should have been asked; if not them, then definitely Truly.

We have notes to indicate the rifle(s?)were inside the bldg. by Nov. 20.  If the courier of that (or those) weapon,  or the pending assassin himself made it inside the building on Wednesday unimpeded, he or they would be recognized on the 22nd and presumed to be back to continue or complete a job. Situation normal. Their exit would have been arranged during the recon on Wednesday.

I have a theory about the Dal-Tex as well.

22 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

@Ron Bulman Revisiting Van Horn area of Texas as a possible training site. Col. Jack Canon’s original stomping grounds.

That makes me think of Executive Action.  The scene where they are practicing in a desert canyon.

18 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I asked the following earlier and nobody seemed to have an answer. Not even a comment.

How do the shooters get inside buildings for practice? Without those who work there getting suspicious? How about when it's the real thing and they're holding rifles?

It seems like the plotters need to have some cooperation from building dwellers for the shooters who will be inside.

Even those on roofs have to to get in and out through the buildings.

Okay, I understand that they don't need to practice their shooting. But they need to "case the joint" and to plan from where they will be taking their shots. They need to plan how they will get in and out without workers there questioning them.

I think they need the cooperation of someone with authority in the building.

Why was the nobody watching the P. parade from the 6th floor of the TSBD? How convenient for the shooter(s)! (Or the fake shooters used to draw attention away from the real ones?) Wasn't the floor being re-laid for the sole purpose of keeping employees out at assassination time?

Sandy, by now you know I get my WAG's now and then.  But I think the plotters had access to the TSBD well before the assassination.

Owned by Harold Dry Hole Byrd of the Dallas Petroleum Club, which included other members George De Mohrenschildt, GHWB, HL Hunt among others.  He went on his first ever African hunting trip that week.  Later having the sixth floor window mounted in his trophy room.

I'm speculating here the leaders of the team * cased it weeks if not more before.  They had a key.  On weekends, Sunday mornings.  Shooter teams the Sunday morning before or two at the most.  Rifle(s) brought in the night before or Wednesday night.

* One of them being David Morales.

Thanks for your replies, Leslie and Ron.

I can see now why I didn't get responses the first time I asked. The thread is really about off-site training, not on-site reconnaissance and preparation. (My eyes read "training," but my brain thought "preparation." LOL)

It never occurred to me that off-site training would be necessary. But having now given it some thought, I can see how it would be necessary if it couldn't be done on site. However, before training could have taken place, it would have been necessary to first plan where the shooters would be stationed and where the limousine would be during the shots. As well as how the shooters would enter and exit the buildings, etc.

@Sandy Larsen @Ron Bulman I'll continue to comment through the lens of Pierre Lafitte's notations.

Col. Charles Askins and Col. Jack  Canon had been tapped and approved by mid- September. Both were award winning, seasoned sharpshooters.

Canon [correction] had deep ties in Van Horn. Ricky White has photos of a communication set up in a remote area of that county. 

Askins had been with the Texas Border Patrol both before and after the war. He lived out his years in fairly opulent circumstances in San Antonio.

His boss and good buddy for over a decade, Harlon B. Carter, was former head of Texas Border Patrol and  SW Region Commissioner of INS in 1963.  If foreign nationals wanted to waltz across the border to train in Van Horn, who better to order  "stand down"?

Edited by Leslie Sharp