The Education Forum

New NYT Story on JFK Assassination. Bullet in Limo?

Benjamin Cole

4 minutes ago, Charles Blackmon said:

There is lead article coverage on Drudge Report. Nothing on Fox News. I am not going to even bother checking CNN, NBC etc.

Game changer?

It is a game changer either way; a win-win situation (Hill, scared over Landis revelations, on NBC News tonight):

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Jason McGee @JasonMcGeeIRL 15m Sensational story if true 1 t 1 Vince Palamara @vincepalamara 山 129 Sensational story if false, too: Landis would thus join the other agents who lied for blood money books... 4:27 PM Sep 10, 2023 山 View post analytics'

1 hour ago, Vince Palamara said:

Yes, this Landis story is amazing. 

Human behavior can be inexplicable. 

But why would Landis, at long last, concoct this tale? If I had to bet, Landis wanted to get this off his chest. 

People forget the enormous pressure in 1963-4 to toe the accepted official line. 

Mark Lane could not even get his book published in the US. 

Chief Curry knew that he, Curry, had thought the shot(s) had come from the front (Curry was in the lead car). Curry told the WC he did not know where the shots came from. In other words, people---even strong men like Curry---were loath to tell the truth about what they personally sensed. 

Landis caved into pressure. Now he is spilling it out. That's my guess. 

6 hours ago, Charles Blackmon said:

There is lead article coverage on Drudge Report. Nothing on Fox News. I am not going to even bother checking CNN, NBC etc.

Game changer?

Sounds like a good idea for.a book...

The Telegraph (in the UK) picked up on the NYT story with a short piece by David Millward. It got picked up by the news aggregator Currently.com, an AT&T - Yahoo.com collaboration. I'll have to re-read the NYT article. And the Vanity Fair article to see if, like in the Telegraph, there is reference to the following:

The Warren Commission concluded that Oswald fired three bullets from a Carcano M91/38 bolt-action rifle in 8.3 seconds.

However, Italian experts in 2007 found that the weapon was incapable of unleashing three bullets in less than 19 seconds.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/secret-agent-casts-doubt-jfk-181022473.html

This story links to a Tom Fordy Telegraph story from 2021 behind a paywall. Which I have not got. In that article, apparently, Landis is quoted as saying he thought there were five shots that day??!!

I have a bold prediction to make: WC apologists will say that Landis is "mistaken." Of course.

Clearly, Landis has only imagined that he found an intact bullet embedded in the back seat, that he removed the bullet to keep it from souvenir hunters, and that he put the bullet on JFK's stretcher.

His account actually makes a lot of sense and has the ring of truth, but, alas, it cannot be true because it refutes single-bullet theory. If the magic bullet was found embedded in the back seat, it could not have gone through Connally and ended up in his thigh. Thus, Landis's account "must" be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Michael Griffith said:

I have a bold prediction to make: WC apologists will say that Landis is "mistaken." Of course.

Clearly, Landis has only imagined that he found an intact bullet embedded in the back seat, that he removed the bullet to keep it from souvenir hunters, and that he put the bullet on JFK's stretcher.

His account actually makes a lot of sense and has the ring of truth, but, alas, it cannot be true because it refutes single-bullet theory. If the magic bullet was found embedded in the back seat, it could not have gone through Connally and ended up in his thigh. Thus, Landis's account "must" be wrong.

Right. 

People will decide what to believe based on their SBT or LN or CT stance. 

Landis' version does make sense, if one believes the back wound in JFK was only an inch deep, as reported by the autopsy.  

The article where Landis says he heard five shots is this:

Why Oliver Stone’s JFK is the greatest lie Hollywood ever told

JFK’s assassination came in a time of political divide, fake news, conspiracies and the unfulfilled promise of America. What has changed?

ByTom Fordy

12 July 2021 • 9:09am

Yes, it's behind a paywall.  So, if someone could post that it would be nice.

Today's Telegraph article. (links disabled) 

Secret service agent who witnessed JFK's assassination casts doubt on 'magic bullet' theory

David Millward

Sun, September 10, 2023 at 2:10 PM EDT·4 min read

A secret service agent who was just feet away from John F Kennedy when he was assassinated claims he found the “magic bullet” but it got misplaced, in a curious intervention that raises questions about a second shooter.

Paul Landis who was standing on the running board of the car behind the president, also said he heard two extra shots during the 1963 Dallas attack.

Mr Landis, who never testified to the commission into the assassination, said he picked up the bullet from the back seat of the car where JFK had been sitting, and placed it on the president’s stretcher for investigators to examine.

But somehow the bullet ended up on Texas governor John Connally’s stretcher, fuelling the “magic bullet” theory that it passed through Mr Kennedy and hit Mr Connally.

The government’s Warren Commission originally concluded that the bullet passed through the president’s throat before hitting Mr Connally’s shoulder, ribs, wrist and thigh.

It forms part of the official findings that a single bullet was responsible for Mr Kennedy’s neck wound, and all the injuries suffered by Mr Connally have long been considered vital for its conclusion that the assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, acted alone.

Mr Landis quit the secret service six months after the shooting, traumatised, and refused to engage with the investigation or any material about the shooting.

Now 88, Mr Landis has written a memoir, which is at odds with many of the official findings on what remains one of the most enduring mysteries.

Mr Landis was tasked with protecting the First Lady Jackie Kennedy, and recalls having to duck to avoid being splattered by brains.

Speaking about the bullet, he told the New York Times that he believed it was transferred from one stretcher to the other when they were pushed together.

“There was nobody there to secure the scene, and that was a big, big bother to me,” Mr. Landis said. “All the agents that were there were focused on the president.

“This was all going on so quickly. And I was just afraid that — it was a piece of evidence, that I realised right away. Very important. And I didn’t want it to disappear or get lost. So it was, ‘Paul, you’ve got to make a decision,’ and I grabbed it’.”

Mr Landis, whose memoir The Final Witness will be published next month, believes the bullet did not have sufficient velocity to go through Kennedy, let alone continue its improbable trajectory.

He said that is why it was found on the back seat, and another bullet was responsible for the wounds sustained by Mr Connally.

Until recently, Mr Landis had always accepted that Oswald – who was himself shot dead by Jack Ruby in a Dallas police station – was the sole gunman.

He is now less convinced, he told the New York Times.

“At this point, I’m beginning to doubt myself,” he said. “Now I begin to wonder. That is as far as he is willing to go.”

The Warren Commission concluded that Oswald fired three bullets from a Carcano M91/38 bolt-action rifle in 8.3 seconds.

However, Italian experts in 2007 found that the weapon was incapable of unleashing three bullets in less than 19 seconds.

Suggestions that a sole gunman was responsible for the assassination have been repeatedly challenged over the last six decades with a raft of conspiracy theories suggesting the assassination was orchestrated by – among others – the mafia, the Vatican and Fidel Castro.

The president’s nephew, current presidential candidate Robert Kennedy Jr. – whose father Bobby Kennedy was also assassinated – has claimed that the CIA was responsible for his uncle’s murder.

Conspiracy theorists claimed that the CIA and anti-communists arranged the assassination to prevent the US from withdrawing from Vietnam.

However, files released by the US government in 2017 showed that a detailed trawl of official records by the CIA in 1975 found nothing to link Oswald with any official agency.

President Joe Biden has ordered the release of remaining records linked to the assassination and 2,672 files were released by the National Archive between April and June this year.