The Education Forum

Those Front Steps

Alan Ford

Something happened and I can finally see all of the various GIFs on this thread. Now I will be able to see for myself the evidence in this aspect of the case. Its a good day!

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Alan Ford said:

Darnell offers no evidence that Officer Baker is doing anything other than running in a straight line for the area by the mailboxes. No reason to believe Officer Baker inexplicably changes course at the moment he happens to come between Mr. Darnell's camera and Mr. Truly. (As Mr. Larsen has demonstrated via shadow analysis, the proximity between Officer Baker and Mr. Truly is an optical illusion. I would add that this optical illusion makes folks see a change of course that just isn't there.)

Officer Baker and the running woman are converging on a point: the area by the mailboxes. Naturally, they are coming at this area at different angles.

Mr. James Hackerott's graphic puts Officer Baker's endpoint a tiny bit too west, but offers a useful illustration nonetheless:

ezgif-1-d40ddb8ea7.gif

This trajectory makes zero sense if Officer Baker is intent on entering the building immediately. And it would make zero sense if there was nothing of interest at the mailboxes area beyond an opportunity to post letters.

Thankfully, as we know, we can with perfect ease identify the reason for Officer Baker's straight dash to the mailboxes area: a man is standing there doing something quite bizarre that no one here can offer an innocent explanation for:

cJyvvy3.gif

It's a major breakthrough in our understanding of what really happened.

How many people are possibly obstructing his path?

bakers_final_step_zpssgb8s4n3.gif

This is a repeating clip of Officer Baker's last step. Click it to zoom in.

I single-stepped through the whole video, noted where his foot hits the asphalt, and drew a blue line through those point to map out his path. His very last foot-hitting-the-asphalt is hidden by the Suit-Wearing Man in the foreground, and so I had to estimate that. You can see Baker about to step on the blue line just after it curves. It's important to look for and see him.

I did the same thing with a Young Lady... I drew a red line through points where either of her feet hits the asphalt. And thus it represents her path. You can see her for only a short time in this clip because the Suit-Wearing Man in the foreground covers the view of her as he walks to the left. You can see her stepping on the red line at its very right end. It's important to look for and see her.

Take note that the initial trajectories of Baker and the Young Lady are very close to parallel. That is to say, the read and blue lines are close to parallel on the left halves, before the blue line curves.

Now, look at the lady. Which side of her do we see? We see her butt. The same is true of the older lady behind her, who is also following the crosswalk... we see her butt end. We see some of their right side as well, but mostly their butts.

Now look at Baker. If he were continuing his initial path, we would expect to see primarily his butt end. But we don't! We see primarily his right side! No butt end.

Another thing you can look for is the direction of his last step relative to the gray line I drew. You can see that his last step is parallel to the gray line. Well, I drew that gray line to show where the edge of the sidewalk is. If he were still running toward the TSBD, he would be stepping up onto the sidewalk with that last step. But as you can see, his foot is moving parallel to the gray line (sidewalk), not toward it.

I'm afraid that Alan Ford is so married to his pet theory that he won't allow himself to see these things objectively.

1 hour ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I do agree with Alan that Baker does initially run toward the mailbox area, but that he does that only because that is the direction of the crosswalk.

What crosswalk?

1 hour ago, Charles Blackmon said:

Something happened and I can finally see all of the various GIFs on this thread. Now I will be able to see for myself the evidence in this aspect of the case. Its a good day!

Good to hear, sir!

2 minutes ago, Paul Cummings said:

To the TSBD and it's Paul. :)

No, he has a direct line to the front steps if he wants it.

If he's dashing for the front steps, then Darnell shows him taking a bizarre route.

If he's dashing for the east corner of the building at Elm/Houston intersection, then Darnell shows him taking a bizarre route.

If he wants to go straight to the mailboxes area, then Darnell shows him taking the logical route.

2 minutes ago, Alan Ford said:

No, he has a direct line to the front steps if he wants it.

If he's dashing for the front steps, then Darnell shows him taking a bizarre route.

If he's dashing for the east corner of the building at Elm/Houston intersection, then Darnell shows him taking a bizarre route.

If he wants to go straight to the mailboxes area, then Darnell shows him taking the logical route.

I guess what I'm trying to say in the chaos was he avoiding running into people in getting to the TSBD.

5 minutes ago, Paul Cummings said:

I guess what I'm trying to say in the chaos was he avoiding running into people in getting to the TSBD.

Darnell shows that he has a nice clear run for the front steps, but he doesn't take it. Instead he chooses a clear run for the mailboxes area

Darnell-Unger-baker-run.gif

This would be mystifying behavior on his part if it weren't for the fact that Darnell shows that there is something most peculiar going on in the mailboxes area

50 minutes ago, Alan Ford said:
2 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I do agree with Alan that Baker does initially run toward the mailbox area, but that he does that only because that is the direction of the crosswalk.

What crosswalk?

The crosswalk we can see here:

dealey_plaza_crosswalk_zps2feswg4w.jpg

Baker ran along the left side of the crosswalk, as even you showed in the animated GIF you posted:

ezgif-1-d40ddb8ea7.gif

Though you have his (initial) path's destination being closer to the TSBD steps than what Darnell shows.

21 hours ago, Jamey Flanagan said:

I'm not exactly seeing how that delays [Baker] more than maybe five extra seconds even if that is the case.

The point of my presentation is to show that Officer Baker's INTENT was not to run up the TSBD steps into the building, as the WC would have us believe.

(Your "five extra seconds" is rather hard to believe, BTW.)

1 hour ago, Alan Ford said:

If [Baker is] dashing for the east corner of the building at Elm/Houston intersection, then Darnell shows him taking a bizarre route.

It's not bizarre. He could continue running straight until he's on the sidewalk, and then follow the sidewalk to the intersection. Or he could veer to the right a little early, thus taking a shortcut to the intersection. Which he did. Nothing bizarre in that.

41 minutes ago, Alan Ford said:

What makes you think there was a crosswalk there 11/22/63?

What makes you think there wasn't?

In any event, people generally know where a crosswalk is without one actually being painted in. They generally don't terminate at a business's front door, but at a sidewalk leading away from the crosswalk.

The east edge of the brick road constituting Elm Street Extension served as the western boundary of the natural crosswalk.