The Education Forum

Those Front Steps

Alan Ford

CLUES!

1. The man is not just standing there holding out away from his body, and at a strange angle, a long object of some description. He is also standing behind what looks like a box- or case-like object:

Darnell-object-on-ground.gif

2. Just in front of the west mailbox stands an object that does not belong to the mailbox:

Darnell-object2.gif

3. There is a flickering at the lower part of the object held by the man. May be paper or something flapping in the wind. May be something else entirely. But it's fast.

Darnell-flickering.gif

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

I at first thought the long object was a paper sack-------the paper sack, in fact. It's still very possible.

However, Mr. Chris Davidson's posting of the GIF below, along with the flickering noted in the last post, made me consider a second possibility: a flag that has just been set alight. Political protest.

cJyvvy3.gif

A congruent first guess as to what the box-like object the man is standing behind: a box out of which the flag has just been taken. Cf. perhaps: what Mr. Spaulding Jones' saw in Mr. Oswald's hands in the elevator that morning: 

A congruent first guess as to what the object standing in front of the west mailbox might be:

Darnell-object2.gif

Gasoline-can.jpg

To set alight a flag quickly, douse part of it with gasoline and strike a match.............

Edited by Alan Ford

Identifying this man facially is impossible due to the poor quality of the film frames. And the image of his head------even his hair-------is horribly unstable from frame to frame

Darnell-Davidson-head.gif

The flag burning is certainly an interesting and original hypothesis to be sure, but I would think that if someone was burning a flag in protest that you'd have at least one person who saw that and told someone about it. I guess you could say that all eyes were on JFK at the time so no one really paid any attention to the man, but I'm thinking that a minute or two after the headshot that people would have seen him even if he hid out behind the mailboxes. Keep digging! You've certainly peaked my interest, but I need more to lean hard into that hypothesis.

Let me ask you this Mr. Ford, do you think a man burning a flag in protest could be the source of people in the motorcade (most notably Senator Yarborough) smelling gunpowder or seeing smoke? I know gasoline burning wouldn't smell exactly like gunpowder but maybe similar enough to mistake in the chaos. The smoke was seen near the picket fence though and I find it hard to believe that a man could carry a burning flag from that area to the TSBD entrance without being noticed. So, I'd probably say no to both.

1 hour ago, Jamey Flanagan said:

The hair on Mailbox Man kinda makes me think of the JD Tippit "Elvis" photo. How he has his hair in that picture. You know which one I'm referring to? I wouldn't think it could be him however.

Are you referring to picture #6 at the bottom right, here?

From what I understand, that picture was taken when he was younger, and pictures 3 and 5 are more representative of what he looked like at the time of his death.

352728.jpg

Edited by Denny Zartman

1 hour ago, Denny Zartman said:

Are you referring to picture #6 at the bottom right, here?

From what I understand, that picture was taken when he was younger, and pictures 3 and 5 are more representative of what he looked like at the time of his death.

352728.jpg

Yes, that's the picture I was referring to! I could see that #2 pic even being a similar hairline or hairstyle too. Maybe even #5 though he's kinda turned sideways. #3 definitely doesn't look anywhere near Mailbox Man's hair though it is very hard to make out. Thanks for the photos!