The Education Forum

Marina Oswald Trust Fund

Gerry Down

A file that contains reactions (some rather stunning I have to say) from people towards Marina is 

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth338958/?q=Marina

It includes some really nutty ones (like asking permission to exhibit Oswalds body...) to very moving ones, gifts for the kids etc

There are more files like this, so it's just an example

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

$ 240,000 dollars!!!

Back in 1963 you could have purchased 25 homes with that huge chunk of cash!

I think book and movie rights brought Marina Oswald even more.

Her book, ghost written by Pricilla Johnson McMillan was a top selling one.

Ghost written?  No.  The book is very clearly written by McMillan and makes no bones about it.

2 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

Ghost written?  No.  The book is very clearly written by McMillan and makes no bones about it.

You are absolutely right Bill B.

The truer designation would be "co-written.

Marina probably just talked about her life and her life with Lee.

With Pricilla McMillan recording these recollections and then putting them in a structured written narrative.

Anyone here dispute the dollar amounts donated to Marina Oswald and Marie Tippit as reported by the Dallas Morning News in late 1963 and shown in my earlier post?

Around $250,000 each back in 1963? Equivalent to 1.8 million each in today's dollar value? 

I am not a well researched student regards the donation program that was initiated and carried out to help Marina O. And Marie Tippit.

But if the DMN figures are true...both Marina and Marie T. could validly be described as being made relatively rich through these donations.

Relative to the average working-class wage earning Texan back in those days.

I am open to these high dollar donation amounts being much lower. Just would like to see some credible evidence proving smaller amounts.

And is there any credibility to the reported claim by Hugh Aynesworth that he bedded Marina? Or was that just a perverse rumor?

On 11/2/2023 at 3:04 AM, Joe Bauer said:

Anyone here dispute the dollar amounts donated to Marina Oswald and Marie Tippit as reported by the Dallas Morning News in late 1963 and shown in my earlier post?

Around $250,000 each back in 1963? Equivalent to 1.8 million each in today's dollar value? 

I am not a well researched student regards the donation program that was initiated and carried out to help Marina O. And Marie Tippit.

But if the DMN figures are true...both Marina and Marie T. could validly be described as being made relatively rich through these donations.

Relative to the average working-class wage earning Texan back in those days.

I am open to these high dollar donation amounts being much lower. Just would like to see some credible evidence proving smaller amounts.

And is there any credibility to the reported claim by Hugh Aynesworth that he bedded Marina? Or was that just a perverse rumor?

Edited by Jean Ceulemans

Of course if you're getting cash in the post, the temptation for some people would be to keep it and not enter it into any trust or bank account to avoid tax. 

I guess it's possible the Secret Service saw Marina starting to live the high life and was wondering where all the money had come from. 

Some of Marinas spending during this time frame is covered in Robert Oswald's book "Lee".

Take the newspaper accounts with a grain of salt?

I'd give their accounts more credibility than the Warren Commission any day.

Maybe I misread, but wasn't at least one of the Marina and Marie Tippit help accounts initiated and run by the Dallas Morning News? Also, shame on Robert Oswald. He demands some of this Marina Oswald donation monies go to him?

Why?

Marina was Oswald's widow and had to care for his children. She deserved every penny of those donated funds.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Found this, seems relevant but not seeing any Secret Service connection: 

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=58981#relPageId=115

“There was a large withdrawal of 25,000 from one account opened by Martin and Marina which was not explained.”

Here’s another one. Seems like a lot of drama: alleged love affairs, cancelled attorney contracts, etc. 

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10063#relPageId=86

On the Martin and Thorne set-up there is a good read in Robert Oswald's handwritten affidavit from Febr., 64. 

Seems like M and T wanted to give Robert a cut to get him to agree, but that didn't happen in the end

Robert recounts pretty much the full story on what happened and how

It's on pages 30-43 of this file (you can download the pdf) from John Armstrong

https://digitalcollections-baylor.quartexcollections.com/Documents/Detail/relatives-of-lho-robert-oswald/702232 

Edited by Jean Ceulemans

30 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Take the newspaper accounts with a grain of salt?

I'd give their accounts more credibility than the Warren Commission any day.

Maybe I misread, but wasn't at least one of the Marina and Marie Tippit help accounts initiated and run by the Dallas Morning News? Also, shame on Robert Oswald. He demands some of this Marina Oswald donation monies go to him?

Why. Marina was Oswald's widow and had to care for his children. She deserved every penny of those donated funds.

Joe, I can only show what I have.... that's the data on that one account and the second in the name of only Martin and Thorne (the 25K went from Marina's to theirs....).

I wrote I had no other data to show.   And that was up to Febr. '64 only.   

That's 55,000.00 USD in about 3 months, and - as far as I could tell - this is only donations, so if you add the other deals and for a longer period... who knows.

You asked if anyone could substantiate the amounts mentioned in the newspaper.... hey.... I tried....

PS that account was also referred to by e.g. the DPD to people who wanted to donate.

Also, see my other post about Robert, I really recommend reading his affidavit 

Edited by Jean Ceulemans

• 3 weeks later...