The Education Forum

Paul Landis, the Slug, and the Dented Cartridge

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

That looks A LOT like the old style Italian crimp, the ones I have show this, and when looked at from the right angle so do all the Italian made ones.

The crimp is a few mm's below the edge of the hull.  In Italy these hulls were sometimes re-used (in periods of shortage) but often would still show the mark.   The ones I have are such re-used ones still showing were that old crimp was (to be clear, mine are in the second picture here)

But I have never seen a WCC crimp like that... so it is doubtfull, but it sure looks a lot like it.

Unless we are being fooled and some of the WC WCC hulls are not WCC.... (could explain why in the comparison photo's of marks I only find one of the two showing parts of the "WCC" stamp... still haven't figured that one out)

I wish we could see a picture of the side of that indent of cartridge in the archives ?

@Gary Murr ?

IC 2.jpg

IC 1.jpg

IC 111.jpg

JC--thanks for your comments. 

It was you (along with the Landis revelation) that inspired me to think more about the WC ammo, and one round could have been hand-loaded.

It is clear WC 6.5 ammo was available in the Dallas area, and at least one gun shop there was hand loading ammo.

There are no records of home hobbyist hand-loaders in the Dallas area, or for that matter, New Orleans, but hand-loading has been a thing among target shooters from well before the 1960s. 

Ergo, the possibility that the assassin on 11/22 had an under-loaded shot is interesting, when added to the Landis revelation.

And now, with the "dent" in the lip of CE 543....and so many witnesses said the first shot was lower in pitch or volume than the succeeding shots...

10 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

According to you, Ben, this round had to have been fired 50 - 60 yards away. 

JFK was 90 yards away when he was shot in the back.

CV-

I suspect JFK was shot in the back just before passing behind the Stemmons Freeway sign. As I recall, that is about 50-60 yards.

29 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

JC--thanks for your comments. 

It was you (along with the Landis revelation) that inspired me to think more about the WC ammo, and one round could have been hand-loaded.

It is clear WC 6.5 ammo was available in the Dallas area, and at least one gun shop there was hand loading ammo.

There are no records of home hobbyist hand-loaders in the Dallas area, or for that matter, New Orleans, but hand-loading has been a thing among target shooters from well before the 1960s. 

Ergo, the possibility that the assassin on 11/22 had an under-loaded shot is interesting, when added to the Landis revelation.

And now, with the "dent" in the lip of CE 543....and so many witnesses said the first shot was lower in pitch or volume than the succeeding shots...

As it seems the carcano ammo had became kinda harder to get ? That would induce re-use of the cartridges (if one could get the bullets). But Gary likely can tell us more about the availabily in mid 1963 ?

3 hours ago, Gary Murr said:

You, Ben, and others may, or may not, be interested in the attached links. The conclusions of the article, well...

http://publiusvaleri.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/The-National-Archives-Switches-Shells-in-Midstream-11-22-2016.pdf 

http://publiusvaleri.us/switched-shells-gallery/ 

Thanks, one can not make up this stuff, amazing.

Just now, Jean Ceulemans said:

As it seems the carcano ammo had became kinda harder to get ? That would induce re-use of the cartridges (if one could get the bullets). But Gary likely can tell us more about the availabily in mid 1963 ?

Maybe that played a role, scarcity. Although I think it was you that posted an ad showing Klein's was selling the ammo. 

Gunshops in Dallas had the WC 6.5 ammo, in late 1963.

If I had to guess, the JFKA was a very small conspiracy, involving perhaps even just two exiles or mercs from Miami, LHO, and possibly a higher up who fed the two exiles tips, info, but who was not at the scene. 

The duo may have arrived in Dallas, and as you say, discovered not enough WC 6.5 ammo, but were able to fashion another bullet. 

For me, the idea that the JFKA was a large and sophisticated op has stemmed from the cover-up. The CIA could not afford the story to come out that three CIA assets, two rogues and one unwitting participant, had murdered JFK. But the cover up created a huge mystery around the event. And, indeed, perhaps a higher-up CIA official was involved, who leaked info to the two rogues on how to approach LHO. 

The JFKA shoestring op might, as you say, have faced a scarcity of WC 6.5 ammo, on short notice. 

2 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

CV-

I suspect JFK was shot in the back just before passing behind the Stemmons Freeway sign. As I recall, that is about 50-60 yards.

The Zfilm, Willis 5, Altgens 6, the statements of Glen Bennett, Linda Willis, and Nellie Connally debunk your baseless assertion.

Your mis-representation of the evidence is egregious.

On 11/4/2023 at 4:33 AM, Gary Murr said:

You, Ben, and others may, or may not, be interested in the attached links. The conclusions of the article, well...

http://publiusvaleri.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/The-National-Archives-Switches-Shells-in-Midstream-11-22-2016.pdf 

http://publiusvaleri.us/switched-shells-gallery/ 

Best photos of the dented cartridge I have seen...thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Interesting. 

Thanks, Mr. Cole. When the Landis story broke, many folks' first reaction was, 'He says he found the bullet where????'

It just seemed like a crazy location.

Well, Zapruder renders it plausible. If Mr. Landis is misremembering or fabricating then we have

EITHER

a. an enormous fluke

OR

b. a calculated deception inspired by Zapruder

Edited by Alan Ford

51 minutes ago, Alan Ford said:

Thanks, Mr. Cole. When the Landis story broke, many folks' first reaction was, 'He says he found the bullet where????'

It just seemed like a crazy location.

Well, Zapruder renders it plausible. If Mr. Landis is misremembering or fabricating then we have

EITHER

a. an enormous fluke

OR

b. a calculated deception inspired by Zapruder

I regard the Paul Landis story as plausible. 

If the rear back JFK wound-making bullet never transited JFK's body---that is, the wound was only one or two inches deep, as one of the autopsists said---then the Landis story makes sense. 

Jim Robenalt says Landis is credible. 

The dented WCC 6.5 cartridge may be the result of an amateur hand reloading, resulting in an under-powered slug. 

Interesting.

40 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I regard the Paul Landis story as plausible. 

If the rear back JFK wound-making bullet never transited JFK's body---that is, the wound was only one or two inches deep, as one of the autopsists said---then the Landis story makes sense. 

Jim Robenalt says Landis is credible. 

The dented WCC 6.5 cartridge may be the result of an amateur hand reloading, resulting in an under-powered slug. 

Interesting.

I agree!

The only remaining substantive objections are:

1. 'Why did he wait so long to tell what happened?'

2. 'How could he possibly have been so unprofessional as to leave the bullet where he says he left it?'

Seems to me Q.1 is plausibly answered by Q.2.