The Education Forum

Why did LBJ want a confession from LHO?

Cory Santos

Why was LBJ so interested in obtaining a confession from Oswald?   Certainly, it is reasonable to conclude that LBJ was concerned about the idea that Oswald say something to the contrary.   When you consider his phone conversations during the forming of the Warren Commission along with the Katzenbach memo and his concern for a confession, does this seem suspicious to a reasonable person?   If you are a juror how would you accept these facts?

Edited by Cory Santos

53 minutes ago, Cory Santos said:

Why was LBJ so interested in obtaining a confession from Oswald?   Certainly, it is reasonable to conclude that LBJ was concerned about the idea that Oswald say something to the contrary.   When you consider his phone conversations during the forming of the Warren Commission along with the Katzenbach memo and his concern for a confession, does this seem suspicious to a reasonable person?   If you are a juror how would you accept these facts?

Check your headline. Interesting question. 

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Check your headline. Interesting question. 

Really interesting.  He stated in a much later interview that he did not believe the Warren Commission.  So why did he care about a confession?    Thanks for heads up.  Early court hearing today so I’ve been tired.  

Edited by Cory Santos

• Cory Santos changed the title to Why did LBJ want a confession from LHO?
1 hour ago, Cory Santos said:

Really interesting.  He stated in a much later interview that he did not believe the Warren Commission.  So why did he care about a confession?    Thanks for heads up.  Early court hearing today so I’ve been tired.  

Been there, done that (typos, I am not a lawyer).

I am not in the camp that believes LBJ planned or had foreknowledge of the JFKA.  

Like almost everyone it seems, off the record LBJ had suspicions about the JFKA. 

I am in the camp that LBJ was 10X more corrupt than any official biography ever comes close to touching on.

That interview of him by Walter Cronkite where LBJ himself says directly that "I nor anyone else" can ever be absolutely sure others weren't involved with Oswald is one of the most important statements ever made about the JFKA and the Warren Report final finding in my common sense opinion.

To this day I can't believe that recorded statement by LBJ hasn't been given the historical importance it deserves. That LBJ statement is simply a history changing bomb shell one!

What more does any person who ever wanted to know the truth about the JFKA need to hear ( from LBJ's own lips! ) to know that there was so much more to the Oswald story than simply a lone nut case who just got lucky on 11,22,1963 and with the cheapest rifle available makes bullseye target hits that 90+ % of the most highly trained marksmen in the country could not duplicate even under no stress conditions?

Dr. Crenshaw's late life recounting of the call to him by LBJ while Oswald was being treated for his wound, was corroborated and backed up by the hospital telephone switchboard operator who connected LBJ to the surgery room.

Edited by Joe Bauer

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

I am in the camp that LBJ was 10X more corrupt than any official biography ever comes close to touching on.

That interview of him by Walter Cronkite where LBJ himself says directly that "I nor anyone else" can be sure others weren't involved with Oswald is one of the most important statements ever made about the JFKA and the Warren Report final finding.

To this day I can't believe that recorded statement by LBJ hasn't been given the historical importance it deserves. That LBJ statement is simply a history changing bomb shell one!

What more does any person who ever wanted to know the truth about the JFKA need to hear ( from LBJ's own lips! ) to know that there was so much more to the Oswald story than simply a lone nut case who just got lucky on 11,22,1963 and with the cheapest rifle available makes bullseye target hits that 90+ % of the most highly trained marksmen in the country could not duplicate even under no stress conditions?

Dr. Crenshaw's late life recounting of the call to him by LBJ while Oswald was being treated for his wound, was corroborated and backed up by the hospital telephone switchboard operator who connected LBJ to the surgery room.

Good Joe and yes, Dr. Crenshaw was verified despite personal attacks on his reputation. 

5 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

That interview of him by Walter Cronkite where LBJ himself says directly that "I nor anyone else" can be sure others weren't involved with Oswald is one of the most important statements ever made about the JFKA and the Warren Report final finding.

There is some anecdotal evidence that LBJ had advance knowledge of the assassination. If he did, he may not have known many details about the plot, or he may have been one of the plotters. He was corrupt and evil enough to do that, but I'm unsure about his role in the plot. 

If the plotters were radical right-wingers, it seems very odd that they allowed LBJ to pursue a liberal agenda on so many issues, e.g., civil rights, voting rights, immigration, healthcare (Medicare and Medicaid), right-to-work laws, welfare spending, and housing.

Edited by Michael Griffith

Such a call from LBJ to Parkland and Crenshaw is possible, quote from  

PRESIDENTIAL
RECORDINGS
LYNDON B. JOHNSON
The Kennedy Assassination and the Transfer of Power,
November 1963–January 1964, Volume One
NOVEMBER 22–30,  1963
Max Holland
Editor
David Shreve
Ashley Havard High
Associate Editors

President Johnson heard the news (that LHO was shot)  from Secretary of State Dean Rusk at 12:45  p.m. (11.45 am Dallas time)  just before he was scheduled to meet Mrs. Kennedy and Attorney  General  Robert  Kennedy  in  the  Blue  Room  of the  White House. He exclaimed to the Attorney General that the Justice Department  had  to  get  directly  involved,  but  the  shocking  news  could  not eclipse Robert Kennedy’s grief.

Subsequently, around 1:00  p.m. , (12:00 pm in Dallas) Johnson departed briefly to make a telephone call ordering the FBI and Secret Service into action. 1  (1.  Footnote: This call was not recorded, but Johnson referred to it in his conversation with Joseph Alsop, 25 November.)  

Further steps had to wait until later in the afternoon, because Johnson’s presence at the ceremony to be held in the Capitol’s rotunda was obligatory.

And quote JFK HAS BEEN SHOT, by Dr. Crenshaw ... Crenshaw went back to the operating room, after the strange call ...

“You won’t believe who I just talked to,” I said to Dr. Shires.
He looked at me with a “what’s next” expression.
“President Johnson would like for us to allow that man over there to get a
statement from our patient.”
Shires  glanced  at  “Oliver  Hardy,”  shook  his  head  in  disbelief,  and
returned  his  attention  to  the  operation.  I  wish  that  I  could  have  taken  a
picture  of  him  as  he  stood  there,  covered  in  blood.  It  would  have  been
worth an entire library of words in expressing our efforts to save Oswald.
Under  the  best  circumstances,  it  would  have  been  days  before  Oswald
could have spoken lucidly to anyone. It was ironic. We had a patient on the
table  under  oxygen  anesthesia,  bleeding  to  death  from  a  bullet  that  had
penetrated almost every organ in his body, and the President of the United
States wanted the intruder with the gun to conduct an interview. The fact
that  a  stranger  was  in  the  operating  room  during  surgery,  something  that

would  have  never  been  tolerated,  best  illustrates  the  hospital’s  state  of
confusion at that time.
Only  moments  later,  at  12:37  P . M., ( 1: 37 P. M. in Washington) almost  one  hour  into  the  operation,
Oswald’s heart began to fail. Dr, Akin’s anesthesiology resident reported to
the operating team that Oswald’s cardiac condition was weakening, and that
his  pulse  rate  was  slowing.
 Electrical  impulses  on  the  cardioscope
confirmed  the  sudden  development.  Dr.  Shires  placed  his  hand  under
Oswald’s  diaphragm  to  detect  heart  activity.  As  everyone  looked  on  in
silence, Dr. Shires shook his head and told Dr. Perry that Oswald’s rhythmic
cardiac activity had stopped.

Edited by Karl Kinaski

NPR is going to have a special guest interview today in a tribute to the JFKA anniversary day.

The guest ...Clint Hill.

Wouldn't it be grand to have a major news media outlet replay the LBJ/Walter Cronkite "others may have been involved" interview as their main JFKA tribute news piece?

10 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Been there, done that (typos, I am not a lawyer).

I am not in the camp that believes LBJ planned or had foreknowledge of the JFKA.  

Like almost everyone it seems, off the record LBJ had suspicions about the JFKA. 

Put yourself in the shoes of the killers, Ben.  They weren't going to have a choice as to who replaced JFK when they murdered him. It was going to be Johnson.  There is no way they would have gone ahead with such an enormous and risky task without some kind of assurance from Johnson that (1) he would prevent a real investigation and instead direct attention toward their patsy and (2) he would do at least some of the things they wanted but Kennedy was blocking (or the main point of the murder would be thwarted).

Stopping investigations by the Texas AG and Congress was some of the first things Johnson did. Then he created the WC to prevent a real inquiry in part by putting Dulles on it.

1 hour ago, Michael Griffith said:

There is some anecdotal evidence that LBJ had advance knowledge of the assassination. If he did, he may not have known many details about the plot, or he may have been one of the plotters. He was corrupt and evil enough to do that, but I'm unsure about his role in the plot. 

If the plotters were radical right-wingers, it seems very odd that they allowed LBJ to pursue a liberal agenda on so many issues, e.g., civil rights, voting rights, immigration, healthcare (Medicare and Medicaid), right-to-work laws, welfare spending, and housing.

If you think about it, on domestic policy it gives him a good cover story and he gets the love JFK received-or so he thought- while pursuing an opposite foreign policy. 

On 11/22/2023 at 10:16 AM, Cory Santos said:

If you think about it, on domestic policy it gives him a good cover story and he gets the love JFK received-or so he thought- while pursuing an opposite foreign policy. 

Bingo CS!

The much more important agenda was the war.

The domestic stuff was an image promoting PR thing and LBJ/JFKA guilt talk misdirection.

I watched a documentary on Al Capone last week.

An excellent over-view of his life from birth to death.

Capone tried to create a "Robin Hood" image to counter his ruthless "Scar Face" blood shedding public enemy number 1 one.

He was making BILLIONS of dollars a year back during prohibition times.

Blood money for sure.

Fact is however, he did donate quite large amounts of monies to legitimate charities.

Soup lines during the Depression. Paying the medical bills of victims of unfortunate accidents or maladies, etc.

I see LBJ's "Great Society" program in a similar vein.

It's a very cynical take I know, but LBJ was that capable of such a disingenuous charade to prop up his criminally suspect past image.

In my opinion anyways.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 11/22/2023 at 12:11 PM, Roger Odisio said:

Put yourself in the shoes of the killers, Ben.  They weren't going to have a choice as to who replaced JFK when they murdered him. It was going to be Johnson.  There is no way they would have gone ahead with such an enormous and risky task without some kind of assurance from Johnson that (1) he would prevent a real investigation and instead direct attention toward their patsy and (2) he would do at least some of the things they wanted but Kennedy was blocking (or the main point of the murder would be thwarted).

Stopping investigations by the Texas AG and Congress was some of the first things Johnson did. Then he created the WC to prevent a real inquiry in part by putting Dulles on it.

I've thought along these lines for a few years now.  Somewhere on here recently I read of LBJ not being informed until shortly before the assassination, because he was drunk every day or by evening, and talked a bit.  Granted, as head of the Senate LBJ kept secrets.  He also hated JFK and RFK and was in deep water over the congressional investigation ended on 11/22/63.

I have to wonder if he might have been contacted a week or two before by an old associate from the CIA who he dealt with as head of the Senate on funding issues in particular over the years.  One who held sway over his friend and neighbor J Edgar Hoover, who also hated JFK and RFK.  But was retired, by JFK.  

On 11/23/2023 at 1:11 AM, Roger Odisio said:

RO--

I can't say you are wrong. 

But...Excellent JFKA researcher John Newman contends the "WWIII" virus was planted by the CIA.

That is, the CIA had LHO visit KGB'er Kostikov in Mexico City, pre-JFKA. 

Then, LBJ was faced with dilemma. Go with the "Russian did it" version of the JFKA, with a Joint Chiefs of Staff that JFK had feared was uncontrollable. And, in fact, LBJ famously told Warren to sit on the WC to avoid 40 million dead Americans. The "Russia" angle was suffocated, as early as Nov. 23, and the "LHO as loner, leftie, loser" invented. 

In Newman's version, LBJ is all but cornered, and did not have advance knowledge of the JFKA. 

I lean to Newman's version, as I suspect a few people as possible were in on the JFKA. Like less than you can count on a woodworker's hand. 

But that's just IMHO....