The Education Forum

Warren Burroughs, the Popcorn Man

T Weier

3 hours ago, Greg Doudna said:

Davis never said he saw popcorn in Oswald’s hands. The sitting next to Davis was before Oswald moved to sit next to Gibson and then went out the rear to the concession area. The popcorn purchase would happen after Oswald left sitting next to Davis. 

Who would have seen popcorn in his hands would be the pregnant lady that Burroughs says Oswald next sat next to in the theater (she got up and didn’t return to that seat). Then Oswald at some point moved again to where he was when arrested.

Davis said after Oswald almost sat beside him, Oswald went up, around and then back down the other side.  Nothing about popcorn in Oswald's hands, ever.  Then, the lights come on (police about to enter), so Davis goes out to the lobby to find out why the lights are on.  No time for Oswald to go purchase popcorn.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

In his brief time in the Texas Theater it seems Oswald was constantly running around in the back and/or balcony seating area like a hyped-up drug addict including plopping down right next to others ( with many open seating areas all around ) and creeping them out to the point of their leaving their seats.

Also running out into the popcorn concession area and maybe/maybe not buying a box of popcorn, perhaps also making a quick bathroom visit and then darting back again in the darkened theater to continue saddling right up next to other creeped out movie goers?

Curious, did any of the seat holders also mention Oswald holding up the torn half of a dollar bill he was carrying and asking them some odd question while doing so like "Is it safe?"

Just this Oswald creepy Texas Theater seat hopping, popcorn buying story of intrigue alone deserves a book imo.

"THE POPCORN MAN"

"Lee Harvey Oswald and the Texas Theater Balcony incident!" 

"The Defining Story That Finally Exposes The Corn Popping Truth About The JFKA."

There is no evidence whatsoever that Oswald had a torn half of a dollar bill.  This is nothing more than a factoid, foolishly invented by John Armstrong.  Upon arrest, an inventory of Oswald's possessions mentions nothing about half of a dollar bill.  Armstrong found a notation on a piece of paper inside the Dallas Police archives that mentioned a torn half of a dollar bill, but even this particular piece of paper has nothing on it which even hints to it being anything assassination-related.

1 hour ago, Bill Brown said:

There is no evidence whatsoever that Oswald had a torn half of a dollar bill.  This is nothing more than a factoid, foolishly invented by John Armstrong.  Upon arrest, an inventory of Oswald's possessions mentions nothing about half of a dollar bill.  Armstrong found a notation on a piece of paper inside the Dallas Police archives that mentioned a torn half of a dollar bill, but even this particular piece of paper has nothing on it which even hints to it being anything assassination-related.

As Micah Millet pointed out in another thread there is evidence of a torn $ bill.

WH_Vol22_0105a.jpg

https://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/24479-lee-harvey-oswalds-possessions/

6 hours ago, Greg Doudna said:

That’s possible Bill. I wondered that too. But against, is he kept moving to different persons, three or four times. And he was sitting directly next to lone strangers in a nearly empty theater, not two or three seats away, and directly next in a nearly empty theater is definite invasion of personal space.

More than just one or two people.

4 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

"That’s possible Bill. I wondered that too. But against, is he kept moving to different persons, three or four times."

Jack Davis, who you agree is credible, has Oswald sitting beside (or almost sitting beside) only TWO people.

There was Davis himself and Gibson to his right at the corner of the theater, that’s two, and was there something about a man to Davis’s left on the other side of the aisle from Davis? I don’t remember for sure. Maybe it was just those two from Davis. 

Then there is one more from Burroughs, Oswald sitting next to a pregnant woman after Oswald reentered the theater on the other side from Davis after being in the concession area where Burroughs had the popcorn. That makes three, 2 from Davis, 1 from Burroughs. 

The stories of Burroughs and Davis agree on the behavior of Oswald sitting next to strangers, Oswald in the concession area where Burroughs was selling popcorn, and at the time of the opening credits. Did Burroughs remember Oswald in the concession area and embellished that saying he sold him popcorn? Who knows. But that’s what Burroughs said, and Davis has Oswald walking out the rear of the theater into the concession area during the opening credits time the same time Burroughs says. 

5 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

Bill I agree with you on this which is why I worded it the way I did. I challenged that a while ago in some thread on this forum on exactly these grounds but someone did come back at me and showed somehow the unidentified provenance torn dollar bill DPD photo of some evidence item was physically among evidence items which were Oswald’s, at the DPD filing or storage end of things. How did that happen? But I agree it’s not confirmed Oswald’s. 

4 hours ago, Bill Fite said:

As Micah Millet pointed out in another thread there is evidence of a torn $ bill.

WH_Vol22_0105a.jpg

https://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/24479-lee-harvey-oswalds-possessions/

Bill am I missing something, how is this evidence of a torn dollar bill? It’s evidence of dollar bills on Oswald that I can see, not a torn one. Also, didn’t the torn dollar bill DPD photo give serial numbers? I bet those serial numbers differ from the ones on this document. 

22 minutes ago, Greg Doudna said:

Bill am I missing something, how is this evidence of a torn dollar bill? It’s evidence of dollar bills on Oswald that I can see, not a torn one. Also, didn’t the torn dollar bill DPD photo give serial numbers? I bet those serial numbers differ from the ones on this document. 

Do you see the note that says “(Above bears pencil notation “300” - bill torn)” ?

It does seem like we should be able to compare the DPD bill photo with these serial numbers. Either way it looks like Oswald did have one torn bill on him. 

3 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

Do you see the note that says “(Above bears pencil notation “300” - bill torn)” ?

It does seem like we should be able to compare the DPD bill photo with these serial numbers. Either way it looks like Oswald did have one torn bill on him. 

OK, got it. But no photos to tell how much torn or what the tear looked like? Doesn’t advance information much. 

Edited by Greg Doudna

Does anyone have the DPD torn bill photo handy? I’ve definitely seen it online before but can’t find it. A comparison to that 302 report should settle if the photo is in fact of Oswald’s “torn” bill. 

I’m not quite sure what the handwritten note on this actually says, but it seems like photos maybe were taken of Oswald’s money? 

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth338072/

Edited by Tom Gram

30 minutes ago, Tom Gram said:

Does anyone have the DPD torn bill photo handy? I’ve definitely seen it online before but can’t find it. A comparison to that 302 report should settle if the photo is in fact of Oswald’s “torn” bill. 

I’m not quite sure what the handwritten note on this actually says, but it seems like photos maybe were taken of Oswald’s money? 

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth338072/

Armstrong had a pic of a half dollar, but NOT related to Oswald. Maybe you saw that?

bgc.png

9 minutes ago, Tony Krome said:

Armstrong had a pic of a half dollar, but NOT related to Oswald. Maybe you saw that?

bgc.png

That might be the same photo I’m remembering. Definitely not related to Oswald. I thought though - and it seems like others did too - that there was something on an unidentified torn bill from the DPD archives, which I think Jean Paul just posted.

The noted serial numbers do not match anything in the wallet inventory, so it looks like the only evidence for a torn bill is that one 302 report, which as Greg notes doesn’t tell us much. 

The “300” pencil notation on Oswald’s torn bill is kind of interesting though. It could be nothing - like some cashier just wrote it on a random bill Oswald picked up at a gas station or something - but if Oswald wrote the “300” on his torn bill for whatever reason that could be noteworthy.