The Education Forum

Nixon and the assassination.

Cory Santos

Leslie, I mentioned Barbra's letter mainly as a contradiction to GHWB's prior vague statements that he was "somewhere" in Texas when asked.  It is an odd (non) letter, she lists excerpts from it in her memoirs per Baker in Family of Secrets. 

"On November 22,1963, George and I were in the middle of a several city swing.  I was getting my hair done in Tyler, Texas, working on a letter home.  Here are some excerpts.  I am writing this from the Beauty Parlor and the radio says the president has been shot.  . . . ...Since the Beauty Parlor the President has died.  We are once again on a plane.  This time a commercial plane.  Poppy picked me up from the beauty parlor - we went right to the airport, flew to Fort Worth and dropped off Mr. Zeppo (we were on his plane) (yes, she calls Zeppa Zeppo here) and flew back to Dallas.  . . . Pop got us tickets back to Houston . . .  The rumors are flying about that horrid assassin.  We are hoping that is not some far right nut, but a "commie" nut.

All her kids at home were 10 years old or younger, W was off at prep school in New England (supposedly, or home for Thanksgiving, or some think possibly in Dealy Plaza).  She was not close to her family at this point, her siblings had moved off, she had not attended her mother's funeral.  Pg. 53, FOS.

Regarding, "Seems to me though that I recall seeing a photograph to argue they were in Dallas on the 21st??   Maybe @Ron Bulman remembers it?"  I don't recall seeing any photo's of Poppy on the 21'st.  But there is this from pg. 59 of FOS.

"The following Facts have never been recounted by Poppy Bush nor have they appeared in any articles or books - and Barbara herself says nothing about this.  On the evening of November 21, 1963, Poppy Bush spoke to a gathering of the American Association of Oil Drilling Contractors (AAODC) at the Sheraton Hotel in Dallas.  Since Zeppa himself was a former president of the AAODC, it is likely he attended the gathering.  It is also likely that both Zeppa and the Bushes actually spent the night in Dallas - and that they were in Dallas the next morning: the day Kennedy was assassinated."

What was Hank's saying, high strangeness and synchronicity?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Leslie, I mentioned Barbra's letter mainly as a contradiction to GHWB's prior vague statements that he was "somewhere" in Texas when asked.  It is an odd (non) letter, she lists excerpts from it in her memoirs per Baker in Family of Secrets. 

"On November 22,1963, George and I were in the middle of a several city swing.  I was getting my hair done in Tyler, Texas, working on a letter home.  Here are some excerpts.  I am writing this from the Beauty Parlor and the radio says the president has been shot.  . . . ...Since the Beauty Parlor the President has died.  We are once again on a plane.  This time a commercial plane.  Poppy picked me up from the beauty parlor - we went right to the airport, flew to Fort Worth and dropped off Mr. Zeppo (we were on his plane) (yes, she calls Zeppa Zeppo here) and flew back to Dallas.  . . . Pop got us tickets back to Houston . . .  The rumors are flying about that horrid assassin.  We are hoping that is not some far right nut, but a "commie" nut.

All her kids at home were 10 years old or younger, W was off at prep school in New England (supposedly, or home for Thanksgiving, or some think possibly in Dealy Plaza).  She was not close to her family at this point, her siblings had moved off, she had not attended her mother's funeral.  Pg. 53, FOS.

Regarding, "Seems to me though that I recall seeing a photograph to argue they were in Dallas on the 21st??   Maybe @Ron Bulman remembers it?"  I don't recall seeing any photo's of Poppy on the 21'st.  But there is this from pg. 59 of FOS.

"The following Facts have never been recounted by Poppy Bush nor have they appeared in any articles or books - and Barbara herself says nothing about this.  On the evening of November 21, 1963, Poppy Bush spoke to a gathering of the American Association of Oil Drilling Contractors (AAODC) at the Sheraton Hotel in Dallas.  Since Zeppa himself was a former president of the AAODC, it is likely he attended the gathering.  It is also likely that both Zeppa and the Bushes actually spent the night in Dallas - and that they were in Dallas the next morning: the day Kennedy was assassinated."

What was Hank's saying, high strangeness and synchronicity?

The Zeppa history with Skorzeny and Meadows while his friend Al Ulmer was posted in Madrid, and Crichton, and Lone Star Steel — one of Texas' largest military contractors during and post WWII — as laid out in my previous post remains significant regardless of where Barbara, George and Joe were on the evening of November 21.  That said, did I miss a link to news coverage of AAODC or the programme roster?  Can it be coincidence the association scheduled their meeting that week.  I'm thinking of a similar serendipity that the American Legion national convention was on the books for summer 1964 ... to heal the city's wounds? 

Edited by Leslie Sharp

23 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

@W. Niederhut  I happen to be intimately familiar with this episode because Russ contacted me after reading several of my posts on Jeff Morley's jfkfacts which included identification of the various business and personal connections between Joe Zeppa of Delta Drilling and Lone Star Steel and Ulmer/Bush. Russ assumed I was privy to his research when in fact I stumbled across Zeppa long before he published and "did my own" research.  A friendly exchange with Russ ensued which led to him staying in my home for an extended period during which time I organized his book signing at a local independent book store in Santa Fe.  We pulled in approx. 60 Santa Feans.

I agree Barbara's note is Jane-Austin-esque, and had I not been familiar with the significance of Zeppa and especially at the time Lone Star Steel whose board included one Prez or CEO from each of four of Dallas' largest banks and one in Wichita Falls — and Zeppa's position on small board of Petroleum Reserves (with a representative from ITEK who worked for Cerro mining whose chairman was ambassador to Belgium in the lead up to Lumumba's murder*) with offices at the International Building in Manhattan where Dulles occupied an office following his 'retirement' — I wouldn't have considered Barbara's note as possibly legitimate. It was only when Albarelli contacted me that I realized just how important this research might be .... how it "fit" into what he had uncovered.  Include the dense corporate/intel history with Al Ulmer's history in the agency including his post in Madrid while Otto Skorzeny set up shop, I consider it irresponsible to write off that note without solid evidence they weren't actually and deliberately in Tyler for an alibi, other than the reverse rationale being posited here?

Seems to me though that I recall seeing a photograph to argue they were in Dallas on the 21st??   Maybe @Ron Bulman remembers it?   

*Jack Crichton, pivotal to the Skorzeny-Meadows scheme along with Zeppa, was a leading member of The American Friends of Katanga Freedom Fighters. There is sufficient reason to consider Otto Skorzeny as QJ.WIN played a role in the Lumumba murder; Pierre Lafitte is known to have been in and out of the Congo during the period as well.

[Further HIGH STRANGENESS AND SYNCHRONICITY, some fifty years after the assassination, my spouse was in the Plaza with Oscar, our beloved Irish Wolfhound who caught the attention of a smartly dressed couple from East Texas.  They said they were going home to begin their search for a wolfie.  He mentioned I was from Texas as well and asked their names.  He (the guy) said he was the son of Joe Zeppa.  He passed away a couple of years later.]

Very interesting, Leslie, and I can understand why Russ Baker considered you a useful source of information about GHWB's CIA career in Texas, with Dresser, et.al.

Incidentally, John Simkin, and others, have started a number of interesting EF threads about GHWB and the JFK assassination during the past 20 years.

I also started a thread a few years ago about the alleged photo of 17 year-old Andover preppie, Dubya Bush, in the Dealey Plaza area on 11/22/63.  Was Dubya with his parents in Dallas on 11/22/63?

22 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

That said, did I miss a link to news coverage of AAODC or the programme roster?  Can it be coincidence the association scheduled their meeting that week.

No mam, I don't think you missed it.  My quote was from Mr. Baker's book, as he states "The following Facts have never been recounted by Poppy Bush nor have they appeared in any articles or books - and Barbara herself says nothing about this."  I've never seen it reported anywhere else that GHWB spoke to the American Association of Oil Drilling Contractors on the evening of November 21, 1963 in Dallas Texas.  With likely Mr. Zeppa in attendance as he was a former president of the association and the Bushe's were likely ferried from Dallas to Tyler (and we know) back the next day. 

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

No mam, I don't think you missed it.  My quote was from Mr. Baker's book, as he states "The following Facts have never been recounted by Poppy Bush nor have they appeared in any articles or books - and Barbara herself says nothing about this."  I've never seen it reported anywhere else that GHWB spoke to the American Association of Oil Drilling Contractors on the evening of November 21, 1963 in Dallas Texas.  With likely Mr. Zeppa in attendance as he was a former president of the association and the Bushe's were likely ferried from Dallas to Tyler (and we know) back the next day. 

Interesting that the AAODC claim is not footnoted, rare for Baker in my experience. I'm surprised  he would forego a citation if he (or his primary research asst. at the time, Linda Minor) found the program or other confirmation of the Nov. 21 meeting. And not to belabor the point, but a return flight to Tyler Thursday evening following the meeting would not have been unreasonable, particularly if they hadn't anticipated a return to the D-FW area Friday.

5 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Very interesting, Leslie, and I can understand why Russ Baker considered you a useful source of information about GHWB's CIA career in Texas, with Dresser, et.al.

Incidentally, John Simkin, and others, have started a number of interesting EF threads about GHWB and the JFK assassination during the past 20 years.

I also started a thread a few years ago about the alleged photo of 17 year-old Andover preppie, Dubya Bush, in the Dealey Plaza area on 11/22/63.  Was Dubya with his parents in Dallas on 11/22/63?

If you can point me in the direction or describe the photo further I'll check in with a photo expert on FB who is always ready to help.

I wonder when Andover let out for the Thanksgiving holidays, and did Russ describe Zeppa's plane.

12 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

If you can point me in the direction or describe the photo further I'll check in with a photo expert on FB who is always ready to help.

I wonder when Andover let out for the Thanksgiving holidays, and did Russ describe Zeppa's plane.

Leslie,

Here's one example of the alleged photo of 17 year-old George W. Bush in Dealey Plaza on 11/22/63-- the Friday before Thanksgiving.

Dubya would have been a senior at Phillips Andover Academy in November of 1963-- one year before enrolling at Yale.

Oswald in the doorway: the blog of the Oswald Innocence Campaign, by Ralph Cinque

W%2Bin%2BDealey%2BPlaza.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&i

Edited by W. Niederhut

21 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Leslie,

Here's one example of the alleged photo of 17 year-old George W. Bush in Dealey Plaza on 11/22/63-- the Friday before Thanksgiving.

Dubya would have been a senior at Phillips Andover Academy in November of 1963-- one year before enrolling at Yale.

Oswald in the doorway: the blog of the Oswald Innocence Campaign, by Ralph Cinque

W%2Bin%2BDealey%2BPlaza.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&i

Tks.

I don't think I've read that GHWB was taken to the sheriff's office.

Is preppy plaid jacket guy a photo of GWB on another occasion?  

Fwiw, to my naked eye the guy in profile shots isn't Dubya. Puggier features.

1 hour ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Tks.

I don't think I've read that GHWB was taken to the sheriff's office.

Is preppy plaid jacket guy a photo of GWB on another occasion?  

Fwiw, to my naked eye the guy in profile shots isn't Dubya. Puggier features.

Leslie,

The Dealey Plaza teenager looks, to me, like a dead ringer for young Dubya Bush in terms of height, body habitus, ears, jaw, hair, etc.  I wonder if anyone has ever tried to contact any of Dubya's old Andover schoolmates about the Thanksgiving holiday in 1963.  Is it possible that Dubya flew to Dallas a few days early for Thanksgiving break with his mother and "Mr. George Bush of the CIA?"

As for Barbara Bush's Jane Austen-type 11/22/63 letter to her children, it reads like something written by one of the Langley literati as a cover story for GHWB's whereabouts on 11/22/63.

Edited by W. Niederhut

34 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Leslie,

The Dealey Plaza teenager looks, to me, like a dead ringer for young Dubya Bush in terms of height, body habitus, ears, jaw, hair, etc.  I wonder if anyone has ever tried to contact any of Dubya's old Andover schoolmates about the Thanksgiving holiday in 1963.  Is it possible that Dubya flew to Dallas a few days early for Thanksgiving break with his mother and "Mr. George Bush of the CIA?"

As for Barbara Bush's Jane Austen-type 11/22/63 letter to her children, it reads like something written by one of the Langley literati as a cover story for GHWB's whereabouts on 11/22/63.

We could probably establish when the official Andover break was scheduled but that wouldn't preclude the possibility he left for Texas early.  

Like I said . . .  I agree Barbara's note is Jane-Austin-esque, and had I not been familiar with the significance of Zeppa and especially at the time Lone Star Steel whose board included one Prez or CEO from each of four of Dallas' largest banks and one in Wichita Falls — and Zeppa's position on small board of Petroleum Reserves (with a representative from ITEK who worked for Cerro mining whose chairman was ambassador to Belgium in the lead up to Lumumba's murder*) with offices at the International Building in Manhattan where Dulles occupied an office following his 'retirement' — I wouldn't have considered Barbara's note as possibly legitimate. 

Remember she mentions that she had started the letter several days prior, so mentally her children weren't in Houston, right?

I always thought Russ established a powerful circumstantial argument that GHWB was directly involved in the conspiracy but imv he failed to land the plane (no pun intended). No testimony or documents prove beyond doubt George met to discuss the strategy nor does Russ offer any indication he was directly involved in preparations on the ground nor do we see his hand on the cover up until later.  

However, as you pointed out, his connections in Midland/Odessa are as significant as any ... Neil Mallon mentoring him on behalf of Prescott and Brown Bros. Harriman's investment in Dresser; Mallon's decades-long friendship with Allen Dulles who shows up in Dallas on October 28-29 to speak about Algeria as Africa's Cuba before the WCA which provided both men the opportunity for a briefing on "Lancelot Planning" described by Lafitte on those dates. I believe it's that kind of evidence Russ lacked ... he has the who, what, why, but he didn't identify the "HOW." 

I'm aware Russ is now highly skeptical of the datebook which he reviewed first hand in early 2022 at my invitation. He was interested initially but it's my understanding he subsequently determined it's most likely not a legitimate record (my words not his).  Had there been a clear indication George Bush was in on the Lancelot Project, I suspect Russ might have been more receptive, as is the case with many detractors of Coup.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

On 1/22/2024 at 11:47 AM, David Von Pein said:

You're a little mixed up, Cory. I was talking about George Bush, not Nixon.

And, btw, that first article you linked to above is wrong when it says no President has driven through Dealey Plaza since 1963. Gerald Ford did, in 1976. (See photo below.)

Gerald-Ford-Motorcade-Going-Through-Deal

But former Pres. Bush was in Dallas the night before and the morning of 11-22-63 (this is a mere innocent strange coincidence which means nothing.)  Then he went to Tyler for his speech earlier on the morning of 11-22-63.   As for the article it was the Dallas news and I believe the article addresses the Pres. Ford visit.    

27 minutes ago, Cory Santos said:

But former Pres. Bush was in Dallas the night before and the morning of 11-22-63 (this is a mere innocent strange coincidence which means nothing.)  Then he went to Tyler for his speech earlier on the morning of 11-22-63.   As for the article it was the Dallas news and I believe the article addresses the Pres. Ford visit.    

Cory,

We now know that "Houston oil man" GHWB was working for Allen Dulles and the CIA since 1953, and that he was in Dallas on 11/22/63.   Thanks to Joseph McBride, we also know that, "Mr. George Bush of the CIA" was personally briefed by J. Edgar Hoover on 11/29/63 about the status of the FBI's "investigation" of JFK's assassination.

We also know that there have been several peculiar narratives about GHWB's whereabouts on 11/22/63-- including the 11/22/63 GHWB phone call to the FBI about one of Poppy's campaign staffers, and the anomalous Barbara Bush letter to her young children on 11/22/63-- the day she returned home to Houston.

So, it seems like a stretch to claim that GHWB's presence in Dallas on 11/22/63 was a "mere innocent strange coincidence" -- especially considering GHWB's alleged association with Zapata Offshore and the Bay of Pigs op.

Russ Baker has written about this subject at length.

Classic Who: GHW Bush and the JFK Assassination - WhoWhatWhy

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Leslie,

1 hour ago, Cory Santos said:

1 hour ago, Cory Santos said:

I'm looking for an article that reported the meeting and his speech, or perhaps a programme that establishes GHWB was at the AAODC meeting Thursday evening.

If we're relying on Russ Baker for the citation, he doesn't provide one that I can find.  His FOS footnotes prior to the reference to the meeting and following it don't provide clues to his source.

It makes complete sense that Bush and Zeppa were both there, but is there a specific source to corroborate? 

I'm not an apologist for Bush, but he was campaigning heavily for Senate so any venue would be attractive and particularly one related to the oil industry; that the President  was scheduled to arrive on Friday — drawing significant crowds — would make his presence all the more logical whether it was Thursday and/or Friday.  

I'm trying to identify the evidence he was in Dallas Thursday night which would indicate as has been posited that Barbara deliberately misrepresented their schedule to cover for him.

In turn, such evidence would implicate the Zeppas, the Ulmers and others in Texas who could attest to their precise whereabouts. If both Joe Zeppa and Al and/or brother Dan Ulmer knew what was in play for the 22nd, they were complicit as well — yet we only hone in on Bush?

Edited by Leslie Sharp

27 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

I'm looking for an article that reported the meeting and his speech, or perhaps a programme that establishes GHWB was at the AAODC meeting Thursday evening.

If we're relying on Russ Baker for the citation, he doesn't provide one that I can find.  His FOS footnotes prior to the reference to the meeting and following it don't provide clues to his source.

It makes complete sense that Bush and Zeppa were both there, but is there a specific source to corroborate? 

I'm not an apologist for Bush, but he was campaigning heavily for Senate so any venue would be attractive and particularly one related to the oil industry; that the President  was scheduled to arrive on Friday — drawing significant crowds — would make his presence all the more logical whether it was Thursday and/or Friday.  

I'm trying to identify the evidence he was in Dallas Thursday night which would indicate as has been posited that Barbara deliberately misrepresented their schedule to cover for him.

In turn, such evidence would implicate the Zeppas, the Ulmers and others in Texas who could attest to their precise whereabouts. If both Joe Zeppa and Al and/or brother Dan Ulmer knew what was in play for the 22nd, they were complicit as well — yet we only hone in on Bush?

Leslie,

FWIW, another piece of the Bush family/Allen Dulles/Skull & Bones/CIA/JFKA jigsaw puzzle is the old Prescott Bush quote that he (Prescott) "would never forgive JFK for firing Allen Dulles."

I'd have to leaf through my paper back copy of Family of Secrets, but I think Russ Baker wrote in some detail about GHWB's work for Allen Dulles, Mallon, and Dresser in the 1950s -- possibly based on information he obtained from you.

For those of us who believe that Allen Dulles, James Angleton, JMWave, et.al., were involved in the JFK assassination, it seems like a short leap to imagine that Zapata GHWB was "in the loop" in some way-- especially since J. Edgar Hoover specifically briefed GHWB on 11/29/63 about the FBI's aborted "investigation" of JFK's murder.

Edited by W. Niederhut

15 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Leslie,

FWIW, another piece of the Bush family/Allen Dulles/Skull & Bones/CIA/JFKA jigsaw puzzle is the old Prescott Bush quote that he (Prescott) "would never forgive JFK for firing Allen Dulles."

I'd have to leaf through my paper back copy of Family of Secrets, but I think Russ Baker wrote in some detail about GHWB's work for Allen Dulles, Mallon, and Dresser in the 1950s -- possibly based on information he obtained from you.

For those of us who believe that Allen Dulles, James Angleton, JMWave, et.al., were involved in the JFK assassination, it seems like a short leap to imagine that Zapata GHWB was "in the loop" in some way-- especially since J. Edgar Hoover specifically briefed GHWB on 11/29/63 about the FBI's aborted "investigation" of JFK's murder.

Our take on BBH, Mallon, Republic National Bank of Dallas  . . . 

The history of Dresser Industries, rising from a simple Oklahoma based pipeline business that serviced the oil industry to a conglomerate composed of long-established military contractors on a global scale, is complex. In the late 1920s, having survived as a solid but unexceptional business—except for the coveted patents they held—the Dresser family sold out to a fledgling private banking firm, Brown Brothers Harriman. In it what is alleged to have been a purely serendipitous moment, Ohio native and Yale graduate Henry Neil Mallon ambled through the doors of BBH, only to have Roland Harriman, a founding partner, spot him and cry out, “Dresser!” In spite of having no specific training in the specialized pipeline industry, Mallon, who was a friend of banker and politician Prescott Bush who had joined the Harriman banking firm, assumed the presidency of Dresser. During WWII, Mallon also mysteriously established a line of communication with NY lawyer and fellow OSS agent, Allen Dulles who would eventually control the Central Intelligence Agency, suggesting that Mallon long had the backing of close friends in positions of power.

The roots of Mallon’s benefactors extended to 19th century England. BBH was the result of a merger of Alex, Brown & Sons and the old-line Harriman family interests in the US. One of the first American financial organizations to help finance post-war rehabilitation in Europe, the firm boasted some of the country’s most notable executives and directors in the field of finance including George Herbert Walker of St. Louis and lawyer/statesman Robert A. Lovett of Texas whose father was a founding member of BBH. It was Lovett junior who a young President Kennedy would consult how best to fill his first cabinet. Another propitious nepotistic hire at BBH was George Walker’s son-in-law Prescott Bush, the congressman who would spawn generations of politicians including US presidents George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush.

During the 1930s, the son of railroad tycoon E. Roland Harriman, W. Averell Harriman and his banking firm BBH had turned a blind eye to the rise of fascism in Germany, and continued to do business with both communist Soviet Union and Germany long after Hitler’s invasion of Poland. Particularly odious is that he did so from a unique post as US Ambassador to the Soviet Union beginning in 1943. The firms that BBH, and by extension Harriman, profited from during the war included: Union Banking Corporation—the American arm of German steel magnate and “Hitler’s Angel,” Fritz Thyssen who helped fund the rise of the Nazis; Seamless Steel Equipment Corporation; Holland-American Trading Corporation and Silesian-American Corporation whose records reveal that Harriman’s partner, Prescott Bush of BBH was board member; and Dresser Industries.

Eventually, Neil Mallon had gobbled up on behalf of BBH and Dresser a significant number of military-related industries to create one of the country’s most important cogs in the “defense of freedom.” According to his obituary, Mallon “. . . built Dresser from an obscure pipeline equipment concern to a world leader in energy related products . . . Dresser currently employs 40,000 people in North America and reported earnings of $172.3 million in 1982 on revenues of $4.16 billion.”

Mallon proved to be an enigma in early Kennedy assassination research. Little is reported about his birth and childhood, perhaps because it lacked luster, perhaps because his early life has been deliberately obscured, or perhaps because he was a tool of US intelligence in league with the military industrial complex who benefited from decades of cover. However, Mallon may also be one of the more significant characters lurking behind the curtains, pulling strings. It has been credibly established that he was not only responsible for Prescott Bush’s son, George H. W. Bush’s move to Texas, but that he was an early investor in Bush’s oil venture Zapata Oil with operations in the Gulf of Mexico made available to US intelligence as needed.

Although it is not the mandate of this book to debate whether Mallon’s protégé, George H. W. Bush was privy to information, let alone an active participant in the events in Dealey Plaza, no assessment of the “lay of the land” of the assassination or analysis of Dresser and Neil Mallon—with his entrenched friendship with James Angleton’s boss, Allen Dulles—would be complete without considering Bush. The fact is, nowhere in the records of Pierre Lafitte who was clearly possessed of specific and detailed information related to the planning and execution of the coup in Dallas, is there a direct reference to Bush.

It could be argued that given the aforementioned history, Neil Mallon and those with whom he had fraternized within the petroleum industry and the intelligence community long before his young protégé (thirty years his junior), is as much a candidate for being privy to plans for the hit in Dallas as GHW Bush. According to freelance investigative journalist Anthony Kimery’s monograph, “George Bush and the CIA: In the Company of Friends,” available online at CovertAction Magazine, December 2018, “Mallon was a friend to numerous ranking Cold War era intelligence officials, including Allen Dulles—an OSS veteran and ground floor official of the CIA . . . Mallon steered prospective candidates for spy work to Dulles and often provided cover employment to CIA operatives . . . ” According to Kimery, among them was George de Mohrenschildt, another particularly important operative with whom Mallon was well acquainted, who had been part of the spy network Dulles ran inside Hitler’s intelligence organization. Mallon personally introduced the Count to a young twenty-four year old from Connecticut, George Bush at about the same time he handed Bush the highly sensitive responsibility of negotiating Eastern-bloc deals. It soon became apparent that Bush was able to wheel and deal with the communists’ petroleum experts without the slightest grimace by US authorities. In fact, writes Kimery, “when a Yugoslavian oil industry official came to the US in 1948 to talk to Dresser Industries, the State Department barely flinched and he went straight to neophyte salesman George Bush in Midland, Texas.” Bush and de Mohrenschildt, whose mutual focus on Yugoslavia is well documented, joined a cadre of young men who served as Mallon’s (and by extension Dulles’s) eyes and ears, arms and legs in the petroleum industry during the Cold War.

From his perch in Dresser headquarters in the Republic National Bank building, Mallon, who served on the board of Republic National, was the ideal conduit for his friend Allen Dulles, and his fellow board member at Republic National, Algur H. Meadows leads us to the second location under scrutiny.