The Education Forum

How many people died as a result of the JFK assassination?

Gerry Down

For this i'm not so much talking about the so-called mysterious deaths in the case, but more the deaths that resulted in policy changes as a result of new presidents that followed Kennedy. Most notably is the Vietnam war which I don't believe would have escalated as it did had JFK been president for another term. As a result, the deaths from the Vietnam war could be attributed as being a direct result of the JFK assassination. I'm not familiar with other policy changes by other presidents which resulted in large numbers of deaths like the Vietnam war but perhaps others on here are more knowledgable than me in this regard. 

With regard to the Vietnam war as an example, 58,000 U.S. military fatal casualties resulted from the war.

How many Vietnamese lives? Laos lives etc?

Has anyone done a full count of lives lost like this as a result of the JFK assassination? 

44 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

For this i'm not so much talking about the so-called mysterious deaths in the case, but more the deaths that resulted in policy changes as a result of new presidents that followed Kennedy. Most notably is the Vietnam war which I don't believe would have escalated as it did had JFK been president for another term. As a result, the deaths from the Vietnam war could be attributed as being a direct result of the JFK assassination. I'm not familiar with other policy changes by other presidents which resulted in large numbers of deaths like the Vietnam war but perhaps others on here are more knowledgable than me in this regard. 

With regard to the Vietnam war as an example, 58,000 U.S. military fatal casualties resulted from the war.

How many Vietnamese lives? Laos lives etc?

Has anyone done a full count of lives lost like this as a result of the JFK assassination? 

I have seen estimates of 3-4 million indigenous people in Southeast Asia, (Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia) and another 1 million Indonesians (lawyers, students, and intellectuals affiliated with the PKI.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 5:24 PM, W. Niederhut said:

I have seen estimates of 3-4 million indigenous people in Southeast Asia, (Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia) and another 1 million Indonesians (lawyers, students, and intellectuals affiliated with the PKI.)

How do you think the JFK assassination led to deaths in Indonesia?

From Wikipedia, the amount of deaths attributed to the Vietnam war by one analyst are as follows:

Deaths in Vietnam War (1965–1974) per Guenter Lewy

US and allied military deaths 282,000

PAVN/VC military deaths 444,000–666,000

Civilian deaths (North and South Vietnam)405,000–627,000

Total deaths 1,353,000

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War_casualties

Gerry,

Here are some stats and references from the following article that I recently posted on the "JFK and Gaza" thread.*

If I recall correctly, Peter Kuznick and Oliver Stone quoted a figure of 3-4 million indigenous casualties in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia in their Untold History of the United States textbook.

I didn't mention post-11/22/63 casualties in Latin America and elsewhere caused by CIA ops under LBJ, and Nixon.

*  The U.S. Has Killed More Than 20 Million People in 37 "Victim Nations" Since World War II - Global ResearchGlobal Research - Centre for Research on Globalization

Vietnam

According to a Vietnamese government statement in 1995 the number of deaths of civilians and military personnel during the Vietnam War was 5.1 million. (2)

Since deaths in Cambodia and Laos were about 2.7 million (See Cambodia and Laos) the estimated total for the Vietnam War is 7.8 million.

Cambodia

U.S. bombing of Cambodia had already been underway for several years in secret under the Johnson and Nixon administrations, but when President Nixon openly began bombing in preparation for a land assault on Cambodia it caused major protests in the U.S. against the Vietnam War.

There is little awareness today of the scope of these bombings and the human suffering involved.

Immense damage was done to the villages and cities of Cambodia, causing refugees and internal displacement of the population. This unstable situation enabled the Khmer Rouge, a small political party led by Pol Pot, to assume power. Over the years we have repeatedly heard about the Khmer Rouge’s role in the deaths of millions in Cambodia without any acknowledgement being made this mass killing was made possible by the the U.S. bombing of that nation which destabilized it by death , injuries, hunger and dislocation of its people.

So the U.S. bears responsibility not only for the deaths from the bombings but also for those resulting from the activities of the Khmer Rouge – a total of about 2.5 million people. Even when Vietnam latrer invaded Cambodia in 1979 the CIA was still supporting the Khmer Rouge. (1,2,3)

Laos

From 1965 to 1973 during the Vietnam War the U.S. dropped over two million tons of bombs on Laos – more than was dropped in WWII by both sides. Over a quarter of the population became refugees. This was later called a “secret war,” since it occurred at the same time as the Vietnam War, but got little press. Hundreds of thousands were killed. Branfman make the only estimate that I am aware of , stating that hundreds of thousands died. This can be interpeted to mean that at least 200,000 died. (1,2,3)

Indonesia

In 1965, in Indonesia, a coup replaced General Sukarno with General Suharto as leader. The U.S. played a role in that change of government. Robert Martens,a former officer in the U.S. embassy in Indonesia, described how U.S. diplomats and CIA officers provided up to 5,000 names to Indonesian Army death squads in 1965 and checked them off as they were killed or captured. Martens admitted that “I probably have a lot of blood on my hands, but that’s not all bad. There’s a time when you have to strike hard at a decisive moment.” (1,2,3) Estimates of the number of deaths range from 500,000 to 3 million. (4,5,6)
From 1993 to 1997 the U.S. provided Jakarta with almost $400 million in economic aid and sold tens of million of dollars of weaponry to that nation. U.S. Green Berets provided training for the Indonesia’s elite force which was responsible for many of atrocities in East Timor. (3)

Edited by W. Niederhut

JFK supported Sukarno, he accepted an invitation to visit the country in 1964.  Sukarno built a regal palace for JFK to stay in.  The CIA, Rockefellers et al wanted the sweet crude de Mohrenschild discovered during WWII after Vichy Dulles kept secret in addition to the "inaccessible" gold and other minerals on the mountain top.  After JFK died they supported the coup, and provided weapons and training used in the annihilation of millions of Indonesian rice farmer "Communists".  I'm not at home to look, see Poulgrain's (sp) book JFK and Allen Dulles.  Jim Di Eugenio can give you the details off the top of his head.  

I once read that 2,000,000 Vietnamese died and/or suffered horrific injuries.

Lots of Laotians too I presume.

Pol Pot took out how many of his own people? Another 2 million?