The Education Forum

A question for James DiEugenio (regarding "JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass")

Hello everybody.
I have a question for James DiEugenio (although I fear he might not care to read it, but if someone could let him know)
Regarding the documentary JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass (Oliver Stone, 2021)

What were Oliver Stone's intentions in making this documentary and what impact on viewers was he looking for?

(I am asking because I am writing an article on that documentary, which I have watched three times, for a science magazine in France. My article is completed but I really wanted to do a good job by trying to understand the purpose or goal of the team Stone/DiEugenio. After so many books written and documentaries done over several decades, and after the JFK movie, what did Oliver Stone try to achieve by doing this documentary in 2021 ?).
Thank you in advance for your answer and enlightenment.

Without wishing to derail your thread I recently saw a very interesting (UK ITN, unedited) interview with Oliver Stone from 1991, where he discusses why he made JFK and part way through the interview he makes reference as to why he has not made a documentary (around 8-10 minutes) - the facts have been kept secret by the Government

I hope you don't mind me commenting as I appreciate you have asked a question to another member, but as a relative newbie of 7 years I found the documentaries fascinating, I watched them 3 or 4 times and each time I came away feeling I had learnt a bit more. In parts it reinforced what I had understood from my own research, in a number of places it took me a step further to having a deeper understanding of matters and their implications and it enlighten me in areas which I had previously been less interested in (the autopsy for instance). 

7 hours ago, François Carlier said:

Hello everybody.
I have a question for James DiEugenio (although I fear he might not care to read it, but if someone could let him know)
Regarding the documentary JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass (Oliver Stone, 2021)

What were Oliver Stone's intentions in making this documentary and what impact on viewers was he looking for?

(I am asking because I am writing an article on that documentary, which I have watched three times, for a science magazine in France. My article is completed but I really wanted to do a good job by trying to understand the purpose or goal of the team Stone/DiEugenio. After so many books written and documentaries done over several decades, and after the JFK movie, what did Oliver Stone try to achieve by doing this documentary in 2021 ?).
Thank you in advance for your answer and enlightenment.

I suspect Jim will get around to answering this himself, but I believe he's said on multiple occasions that they wanted to update JFK with subsequently released information and analysis, mostly over-looked stuff uncovered via the ARRB. 

7 hours ago, Mart Hall said:

Without wishing to derail your thread I recently saw a very interesting (UK ITN, unedited) interview with Oliver Stone from 1991, where he discusses why he made JFK and part way through the interview he makes reference as to why he has not made a documentary (around 8-10 minutes) - the facts have been kept secret by the Government

I hope you don't mind me commenting as I appreciate you have asked a question to another member, but as a relative newbie of 7 years I found the documentaries fascinating, I watched them 3 or 4 times and each time I came away feeling I had learnt a bit more. In parts it reinforced what I had understood from my own research, in a number of places it took me a step further to having a deeper understanding of matters and their implications and it enlighten me in areas which I had previously been less interested in (the autopsy for instance). 

Thank you, Sir !

4 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

I suspect Jim will get around to answering this himself, but I believe he's said on multiple occasions that they wanted to update JFK with subsequently released information and analysis, mostly over-looked stuff uncovered via the ARRB. 

Thank you, Pat !

12 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

Could have done a JFK2 movie which followed Jim Garrison in his later life and his following of the case as it developed during the hsca and so on.

That ones in the works 😉 But seriously, that would make a great follow-up.

Pat Speer is correct.

The intent was to get out the newer info, most specifically from the ARRB.  Tunheim says in the film that they put out over a hundred press releases, but got very little notice.

6 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Pat Speer is correct.

The intent was to get out the newer info, most specifically from the ARRB.  Tunheim says in the film that they put out over a hundred press releases, but got very little notice.

OK. Thank you very much.
(I needed this information. The journalist is calling me in exactly half an hour...)