The Education Forum

Dumb Question about Willis 6: Who is Getting in the Car?

In looking back through my website I suddenly realized something about Willis 6: there is an unidentified man getting into a station wagon. At the time I'd added the photo I had probably assumed this person was either Julian Read, Connally's Press Secretary (who is listed as an occupant of the vehicle in Todd Wayne Vaughan's book) or Lem Johns, who had jumped from LBJ's back-up car and looked around and then jumped back into a car in the motorcade. But from reading Read's subsequent statements, I realized that he was actually riding in the press bus. And Johns? Well, it appears he jumped into one of the Camera cars, presumably Camera Car #1. 

So who the heck was riding in the back seat of the station wagon holding Gen.s McHugh and Clifton? And, if no one, well, then, who jumped into the station wagon while it was across from the knoll? 

Any ideas? 

image.png.c125bb569a41a7e98a0e95198c3ace07.png

Edited by Pat Speer

I don't know Pat,but Meatloaf said a Secret Service guy pulled him over/flagged him down and then jumped in the front seat of his car and drove to Parkland Hospital.

https://www.facebook.com/HuckabeeOnTBN/videos/meat-loafs-crazy-encounter-after-the-jfk-assassination/712299153082653/

Edited by Michael Crane

4 hours ago, Paul Cummings said:

Just a hunch but a member of the press pool who got out in Dealey Plaza and took pictures. He then got back in one of the parade vehicles and possibly headed to Parkland.

Yeah, I thought about that. But I couldn't figure out who it would be. Atkins and Wiegman jumped back into Camera Car #1. And Cancellare, Darnell, Jackson and McNeil all stayed in the plaza for some time after. It would have to have been someone from the national press corps, IMO. Two generals were sitting in the front seat. I don't see them letting some random reporter into their car. It had to have been someone they knew. 

P.S. I think I got it. In Pictures of the Pain, Trask notes that Phil Willis thought it was Connally aide Bill Stinson getting out of the car, and not someone getting in. This makes some sense, as Stinson was undoubtedly in the motorcade, and I don't have him listed in any other vehicle. This also makes sense in that Todd Wayne Vaughan lists Connally aide Julian Read as being the third person in the car. (Which Read disproved by doing interviews in which he claimed he was in the press bus.) So...Vaughan had the wrong Connally aide in the car. Problem solved?

Edited by Pat Speer

2 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

Yeah, I thought about that. But I couldn't figure out who it would be. Atkins and Wiegman jumped back into Camera Car #1. And Cancellare, Darnell, Jackson and McNeil all stayed in the plaza for some time after. It would have to have been someone from the national press corps, IMO. Two generals were sitting in the front seat. I don't see them letting some random reporter into their car. It had to have been someone they knew. 

P.S. I think I got it. In Pictures of the Pain, Trask notes that Phil Willis thought it was Connally aide Bill Stinson getting out of the car, and not someone getting in. This makes some sense, as Stinson was undoubtedly in the motorcade, and I don't have him listed in any other vehicle. This also makes sense in that Todd Wayne Vaughan lists Connally aide Julian Read as being the third person in the car. (Which Read disproved by doing interviews in which he claimed he was in the press bus.) So...Vaughan had the wrong Connally aide in the car. Problem solved?

Where did you get this picture because it appears altered and not an original.  The guy behind the picket fence smiling at the motorcade was my first clue.   

27 minutes ago, Cory Santos said:

Where did you get this picture because it appears altered and not an original.  The guy behind the picket fence smiling at the motorcade was my first clue.   

Yeah, God forbid someone should look at a photo to try to understand what's in it, as opposed to looking for reasons to think it was fake...

FWIW, that photo has been altered...by me. This version is on my website in a section in which I detail Haygood's run for the railroad tracks. I cropped the photo and blew it back up so readers could make him out. (He can be seen under the Fort Worth sign just after he dumped his bike.)

2 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

Yeah, God forbid someone should look at a photo to try to understand what's in it, as opposed to looking for reasons to think it was fake...

FWIW, that photo has been altered...by me. This version is on my website in a section in which I detail Haygood's run for the railroad tracks. I cropped the photo and blew it back up so readers could make him out. (He can be seen under the Fort Worth sign just after he dumped his bike.)

No, if you zoom in at the corner of the picket fence there are two odd images.  One has a head looking over at the motorcade the other is a cut out of apparently a dog. 

3 hours ago, Tony Krome said:

Appears to me he's entering the car, not exiting. Normally you wouldn't back out of a car into any potential traffic hazard.

That's what I thought too. But since we have reason to believe it was Stinson, it could be that he got out of the car for a few seconds and then got back in, without actually running around. I made a quick search to see if he ever discussed the shooting itself, and didn't have any luck. (He is mentioned in numerous articles for his connection to the assassination--as he was the one to first discuss Kennedy's wounds--but I am yet to find his account of the shooting.) 

Note: Stinson gave an oral history to the sixth floor museum 1993, but it appears it's not online. 

Edited by Pat Speer

4 hours ago, Mark Ulrik said:

This and other Willis slides are available in very decent quality on the 6fm website.

Mark

Thanks for this original (unedited) Willis picture ... for that matter, who is the gentleman in the dark apron walking down the center of the street.  Quite odd .. 

Gene

11 minutes ago, Gene Kelly said:

Mark

Thanks for this original (unedited) Willis picture ... for that matter, who is the gentleman in the dark apron walking down the center of the street.  Quite odd .. 

Gene

Bane

Edited by Cory Santos