The Education Forum

Pat Speer on 73 PAGES of this new book! (Bill Simpich on 33 pages, DiEugenio on 19 pages)

(I am on one page)

This lone-nut author Robert Wagner comes across as a nice version of Posner and Bugliosi who DOES concede several things:

-he does not believe in the SBT

-some evidence against Oswald was probably fabricated

-greatly admires the work of John Newman

-and more [I am only about 60 pages in so far but it IS refreshing to see someone from the other side NOT be so nasty]

JFK Assassinated: In the Courtroom: Debating the Critic Research Community: Wagner, Robert a: 9781662888311: Amazon.com: Books

@Pat Speer

@James DiEugenio

6 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

(I am on one page)

This lone-nut author Robert Wagner comes across as a nice version of Posner and Bugliosi who DOES concede several things:

-and more [I am only about 60 pages in so far but it IS refreshing to see someone from the other side NOT be so nasty]

JFK Assassinated: In the Courtroom: Debating the Critic Research Community: Wagner, Robert a: 9781662888311: Amazon.com: Books

@Pat Speer

@James DiEugenio

Ha! What made you check the index? I'm guessing you were reading along and going "Why does this guy keep mentioning Pat?" Well, the truth is I met Bob some years ago at one of Gary Aguilar's get-togethers and have stayed in touch with him ever since. But by that I mean like every three months or so, not every week or so. I knew he was working on a book but had no idea it was coming out anytime soon nor that he would make so many references to my work. 

So this comes as a pleasant surprise. I think.

For those not in the know, this is Wagner's second book. While suspecting Oswald acted alone, he finds many CT arguments compelling, and rejects the single-bullet theory, last I checked. He is also quite a nice guy. In fact, I think you met him, Vince. if memory serves I was supposed to accompany Matt Douthit to Dealey Plaza and meet up with you, but I ran late after having lunch with Wagner. I think he came with me to the knoll, afterwards, where I caught up with you, but can't recall for sure. (Those nasty cancer meds!)

In any event, I suspect many CTs could learn a few things from Bob's book, and know many LNs could learn a lot from both his book and example. I mean, Bob is an Oswald-probably-did-it person, but he understands that many of the points made by CTs are legitimate, and not paranoid ramblings. 

So he's a different kind of Lone-Nutter, much as you and I are a different kind of Conspiracy Theorist. 

Edited by Pat Speer

13 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

Ha! What made you check the index? I'm guessing you were reading along and going "Why does this guy keep mentioning Pat?" Well, the truth is I met Bob some years ago at one of Gary Aguilar's get-togethers and have stayed in touch with him ever since. But by that I mean like every three months or so, not very week or so. I knew he was working on a book but had no idea it was coming out anytime soon nor that he would make so many references to my work. 

So this comes as a pleasant surprise. I think.

For those not in the know, this is Wagner's second book. While suspecting Oswald acted alone, he finds many CT arguments compelling, and rejects the single-bullet theory, last I checked. He is also quite a nice guy. In fact, I think you met him, Vince. if memory serves I was supposed to accompany Matt Douthit to Dealey Plaza and meet up with you, but I ran late after having lunch with Wagner. I think he came with me to the knoll, afterwards, where I caught up with you, but can't recall for sure. (Those nasty cancer meds!)

In any event, I suspect many CTs could learn a few things from Bob's book, and know many LNs could learn a lot from both his book and example. I mean, Bob is an Oswald-probably-did-it person, but he understands that many of the points made by CTs are legitimate, and not paranoid ramblings. 

So he's a different kind of Lone-Nutter, much as you and I are a different kind of Conspiracy Theorist. 

OMG I think I DID meet him! I vividly remember meeting you (along with Matt); I even have a photo of it. I will have to check my photos!

Yes---His approach is super refreshing. It is so nice to have someone NOT have the nasty and condescending tone AND concede pro-conspiracy arguments. Bob has a true open mind.

Yes-it is obvious that he holds you, Bill Simpich, John Newman and a couple others in high esteem. This is the FIRST (mostly) lone-nut book that is free of the nasty overtones.

Edited by Vince Palamara

He told me I should write a book about Kennedy's foreign policy.

21 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

He told me I should write a book about Kennedy's foreign policy.

Well, that is a good idea, lone nutter or not.  It's a deep subject I am not very familiar with but I feel many others are probably not as well.  I think the big picture behind his overall policy may well have been a big contributing factor to his assassination.  I do have Greg Poulgrain's JFK vs Allen Dulles.  I've read some about much, Cuba, Russia, Vietnam, the Middle East-Israel/Egypt, the Congo, South America.   Is there a book out there that puts it all together, by someone objective who knows what they are talking about?  It could be historically significant.

He was up in San Francisco when I did a speech at Gary Aguilar's salon about Kennedy's overall foreign policy and how it evolved and was a conscious switch from the what preceded it.

It was after this that he told me I should write a book on the subject.

And no Ron there is no one book that puts it altogether, not even half of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 3:56 PM, Vince Palamara said:

(I am on one page)

@Pat Speer

@James DiEugenio

I started going through the book, and I must agree with you, Vince. It's a good one. Bob is that rare writer who spends most of his time writing about what others believe. It's like he wants the reader to know not just what he thinks but what others think. It's a good/great book for those following the forum who don't feel it's necessary to have an opinion on everything. IOW, the open-minded folks... 

It is also a good book for those with an interest in the forensic evidence, but who have not had the energy to track down everything written by Aguilar, Mantik, Chesser, Robertson, Thomas, and myself. Bob delineates the differences of opinion among us. He does not hide the skeptic in him--that he is an Oswald did-it guy--and is not convinced by most of our arguments. But he concedes a number of points, and does not resort to the usual insults. 

And it's not all rehash. I have already added a number of post-its to its pages, to point out facts I had missed and arguments I should address. 

Edited by Pat Speer

4 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

I started going through the book, and I must agree with you, Vince. It's a good one. Bob is that rare writer who spends most of his time writing about what others believe. It's like he wants the reader to know not just what he thinks but what others think. It's a good/great book for those following the forum who don't feel it's necessary to have an opinion on everything. IOW, the open-minded folks... 

It is also a good book for those with an interest in the forensic evidence, but have not had the energy to track down everything written by Aguilar, Mantik, Chesser, Robertson, Thomas, and myself. Bob delineates the differences of opinion among us. He does not hide the skeptic in him--that he is an Oswald did-it guy--and is not convinced by most of our arguments. But he concedes a number of points, and does not resort to the usual insults. 

And it's not all rehash. I have already added a number of post-its to its pages, to point out facts I had missed and arguments I should address. 

Glad you like it, Pat! I am now three-quarters of the way through, and I am impressed. He is very nice in his tone and concedes many points, despite being a (mostly) lone-nutter. Some of the people on this forum would do well to check this book out and find out you don't have to be so insulting, and you can actually have an open mind to embrace both sides.