The Education Forum

Mrs. Paine's Garage And The Murder Of John F. Kennedy. The Author Speaks.

Thomas Mallon is one of the biggest shills there is for the Warren Report.

And he has made it his preoccupation to go to bat for the Paines.

I am glad Max Good and Johnny Cairns put him in his place.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Thomas Mallon is one of the biggest shills there is for the Warren Report.

And he has made it his preoccupation to go to bat for the Paines.

I am glad Max Good and Johnny Cairns put him in his place.

It sure seems that way.

Still, he reveals more about the personal Ruth Paine than I have read previously.

She granted him a lot of interview time.

Mallon says Ruth spent more time talking to him ( answering his questions ) than she gave the Warren Commission.

Mallon suggests his one-on-one engagement with Ruth was so amiable one wonders if she may have even felt some type of intellectual and even physical crush toward him?

Mallon describes Ruth responding to one of his more personal questions regards her living together relationship with and feelings toward Marina:

"rather twinklingly she said ... do you mean were we lesbians?"

Then ... Ruth:  "no, I hadn't thought of that."

However, Mallon says Ruth's letters to Marina both before and after the assassination clearly had a "romantic dimension."

Reportedly with such intimate feeling connotations as " I love you Marina." ?

( Not stated by Mallon in this talk. )

Mallon: " in it's way this was a love story."

Obviously however, on Ruth's part toward Marina much more than Marina's toward Ruth.

This part of Mallon's assessment of Ruth and Marina's personal relationship and Ruth's personal feelings toward Marina begins at the 59 minute mark of the interview.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Posted (edited)

The highly educated (undergrad from Brown Univ. and a MA and PhD from Harvard) and literate Phi Beta Kappa inductee (1972) Thomas Mallon is a well-known and vociferous Lone Nutter. One will often see his work in The Atlantic.

THOMAS MALLON - LONE NUTTER (born 11/2/1951)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/06/a-knoll-of-one-s-own/305894/

A Knoll of One’s Own:

The most exhaustive book yet written about the Kennedy assassination should lay the conspiracy theories to rest once and for all—but it won’t

By Thomas Mallon for The Atlantic, June 2007

Several years ago I spent a portion of one November afternoon in Irving, Texas, inside the home garage where Lee Harvey Oswald had hidden his rifle in the months before he killed John F. Kennedy.

UNQUOTE

Heartily recommends Vincent Bugliosi’s book Reclaiming History: the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy

Magnified

What if Lee Harvey Oswald had lost his nerve? A historical novelist—who is also a student of the Kennedy assassination—imagines what might have happened next.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/08/magnified/309511/  - Thomas Mallon blaming the JFK assassination on Lee Harvey Oswald in the JFK issue of the Atlantic of November, 2013

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/06/a-single-bullet/305923/

A Single Bullet

Thomas Mallon talks about JFK conspiracy theories and a new book that places the blame squarely on Lee Harvey Oswald.

JESSICA PAVONE

JUNE 2007 ISSUE

In the July/August issue of The AtlanticThomas Mallon considers Bugliosi’s opus. Mallon—an Atlantic contributing editor and fellow “LN,” fluent in assassination history—is the author of, among other works, Mrs. Paine’s Garage and the Murder of John F. Kennedy, a singular account of the event, centering on Ruth Paine, the virtuous Quaker woman who became, quite innocently, enmeshed in the assassination. Mallon points out that Bugliosi’s examination of JFK’s death is oddly straightforward: what emerges in Reclaiming History is that, despite countless fantastic claims to the contrary, the government did not lie.

UNQUOTE

A Single Bullet - The Atlantic

Thomas Mallon:

There are a few supposedly respectable academics who have gone way out there in conspiracy theory, but I would say that most of them are kind of gumshoes, amateurs, and people who probably were impacted by the assassination. Their emotions were impacted by it in what was originally a genuine way, but somehow the tissue around that impact has become infected, and it’s become something that they don’t want to let go of. The thing that they would hate most is for anything that they would have to regard as definitive proof to come along. I think we do have definitive proof that Oswald killed Kennedy, but if definitive proof of their own theories came along somehow, I think they’d be terribly bereft.

UNQUOTE

A Knoll of One’s Own - The Atlantic

Several years ago I spent a portion of one November afternoon in Irving, Texas, inside the home garage where Lee Harvey Oswald had hidden his rifle in the months before he killed John F. Kennedy. I had come to the house because I was writing about one of its former owners, Ruth Paine, an admirable Quaker who, as a young housewife, became innocently enmeshed in the assassination after she befriended Lee and Marina Oswald in the spring of 1963. That fall, Marina and her two small children were living in the suburban ranch house along with Ruth and her two small children; Lee joined them on the weekends. 

UNQUOTE

Thomas Mallon Wiki - Thomas Mallon - Wikipedia

Thomas Mallon “novelist and critic” bio http://www.thomasmallon.com/works.htm

Education

Sewanhaka High School, located in Floral Park, NY

Brown University, majored in English

Phi Beta Kappa - 1972

Got two degrees from Harvard: a MA and a PhD

Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Mallon#Awards_and_nominations

Mallon went on to study English at Brown University, where he wrote his undergraduate honors thesis on American author Mary McCarthy. He credits McCarthy, with whom he later became friends, as the most enduring influence on his career as a writer.[3]

Mallon earned a Master of Arts and a Ph.D. from Harvard University, where he wrote his dissertation on the English World War I poet Edmund Blunden. On sabbatical from Vassar College in 1982-1983, Mallon spent a year as a visiting scholar at St. Edmund’s House (later College) at Cambridge University. It was here that he drafted most of A Book of One’s Own, a work of nonfiction about diarists and diary-writing. The book’s rather unexpected success earned Mallon tenure at Vassar College, where he taught English from 1979-1991.

Thomas Mallon (born November 2, 1951) is an American novelist, essayist, and critic. His novels are renowned for their attention to historical detail and context and for the author's crisp wit and interest in the "bystanders" to larger historical events. He is the author of nine books of fiction, including Henry and Clara, Two Moons, Dewey Defeats Truman, Aurora 7, Bandbox, Fellow Travelers, Watergate, and most recently Finale. He has also published nonfiction on plagiarism (Stolen Words), diaries (A Book of One's Own), letters (Yours Ever) and the Kennedy assassination (Mrs. Paine's Garage), as well as two volumes of essays (Rockets and Rodeos and In Fact).

He is a former literary editor of Gentleman’s Quarterly, where he wrote the "Doubting Thomas" column in the 1990s, and has contributed frequently to The New Yorker, The New York Times Book Review, The Atlantic Monthly, The American Scholar, and other periodicals. He was appointed a member of the National Council on the Humanities in 2002 and served as Deputy Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities from 2005-2006.

His honors include Guggenheim and Rockefeller fellowships, the National Book Critics Circle citation for reviewing, and the Vursell prize of the American Academy of Arts and Letters for distinguished prose style. He was elected as a new member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2012

Awards and nominations[edit]

Edited by Robert Morrow

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Robert Morrow said:

There are a few supposedly respectable academics who have gone way out there in conspiracy theory, but I would say that most of them are kind of gumshoes, amateurs, and people who probably were impacted by the assassination. Their emotions were impacted by it in what was originally a genuine way, but somehow the tissue around that impact has become infected, and it’s become something that they don’t want to let go of. The thing that they would hate most is for anything that they would have to regard as definitive proof to come along. I think we do have definitive proof that Oswald killed Kennedy, but if definitive proof of their own theories came along somehow, I think they’d be terribly bereft.

Mallon himself describes how he was greatly affected by the assassination of JFK. His mother openly wept.

He was 12 at the time. As was I.

I was deeply effected as Mallon was.

Even more so watching Jack Ruby whack Lee Oswald in the DPD basement live on national TV!

Mallon doesn't go into the assassination of Lee Harvey Oswald.

Right inside of the Dallas Police Departments own building in mid-morning with a huge crush of press and 70 security personnel within just feet of the intrepid sleazy strip club owner Jack Ruby who managed to breach all the security and get within feet of Oswald paraded right to him.

No, nothing to see here folks.

Just a hot-headed strip joint owner who decided on a whim to walk down a guarded ramp into the DPD basement and break through to the front of the Press crush line and again on the spur of the moment,  prove to the world that Jews have guts.

Another lone gunman who spontaneously lost his mind to do what he did and just got preposterously lucky to get into a close up physical position to be able to do it.

Mallon accepts the single bullet theory proposed and promoted by Arlen Specter?

Many ballistic experts however concluded that CE399 could not have done the amount of bone damage to Connolly and be in such non-damage and minor grain loss condition as it was.

Include Dr. Robert Shaw head of the surgery team working on Connolly that day. And I believe Dr. Gregory as well.

The thigh wound on Connolly's left inner leg was too small to have been made by a 98% intact bullet the size of the Carcano bullets.

Edited by Joe Bauer

6 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Mallon says Ruth spent more time talking to him ( answering his questions ) than she gave the Warren Commission.

That's saying something.  Considering the Warren Commision asked more questions of her than any other witness, by far and away, as I recall reading.  Wasn't it the better parts of three days of questioning?

Regarding the Paine's Garage, what about those seven small file cabinets.  Remember them?  About 11' X 14"?  The ones with info Micael Paine tried to frame Oswald over the ironing board with a DPD officer over?  The ones the DPD confiscated, put in the trunk, took to the Sherriff's Office, Decker said Nope, don't want this, took to DPD.  

Disappeared.  Maybe I can find my thread on this tomorrow.

For tonight my favorite fiction author.

The Disappeared (A Joe Pickett Novel): Box, C. J.: 9780399176623: Amazon.com: Books