The Education Forum

Do photos show Felipe Vidal Santiago as the Dark-Complected Man? And Roy Hargraves as the Umbrella Man?

1 hour ago, Bill Simpich said:

Vidal was one of the more important people in the Cuban underground, and a well-documented ally of Gen. Edwin Walker.

One one hope you'd keep going -- assuming you have "the will."

Because Vidal -- and virtually any of the persons suspected of being DCM -- lead further to Paley, Luce, Cherne, Bush, et al.

Or if you like, the Citizens Committee to Free Cuba (CCFC). It included ...: Henry Luce, Clare Booth Luce, Hal Hendrix, Paul Bethel [Maurice Bishop], Virginia Prewett, Leo Cherne and Ernest Cuneo. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

tangodown63 has the ones I know, most pictures there come in a fairly good resolution as well (btw who knows the guy behind this website?)

https://tangodown63.com/vidal-santiago-felipe/

It's definitely close, but wouldn't Castro want to keep him alive, rather than executing him?

18 hours ago, Bill Simpich said:

Hargraves related to Hemming that he and Vidal had gone to Dallas but that he had no prior knowledge of a conspiracy, asserting that he had no idea of what was going to happen in Dallas and was simply taken there to perform a specific job (building a bomb). Hargraves also repeatedly stressed that neither he nor Vidal were involved in the actual murder. He remained vague on Vidal's role however, in the first phase of the interviews, he stated that he and Vidal were on Elm Street and Vidal acted as a signal man; in the second round of interviews he became much more circumspect about Vidal and their being on Elm Street at the time of the shooting.

This explains why DCM held up a "hold fire" signal during the shooting sequence, why he didn't depart the scene immediately, why he may have carried a radio.  I don't see a function for Umbrella Man in this scenario -- why the redundant signal man?

Shouldn't we look at photos below and above the overpass for other possible Bomb Team perps?  Someone had to have a thumb on the detonator, yes?

On 6/12/2024 at 11:24 AM, Matt Cloud said:

This is really not especially interesting to me but just for argument's sake I'll engage. Does your friend have any actual firsthand knowledge as to the ID of the person at issue?  Anything at all?  Or is he just basing his opinion after looking at the photo?  Do you understand the distinction?

He is telling me what his anti Castro Cuban friends tell him, as far as identifying the people in that photo. Felix Rodriguez in the photo.

2 minutes ago, Robert Morrow said:

He is telling me what his anti Castro Cuban friends tell him, as far as identifying the people in that photo. Felix Rodriguez in the photo.

Gotcha.  No further questions for the witness.

A whole new avenue opened up when we learned that Felipe Vidal Santiago was AMQUIP-1… https://www.maryferrell.org/php/cryptdb.php?id=AMQUIP-1

…That Roy Hargraves had a long history as a bomber…

…and that Felix Rodriguez was known as AMJOKE-1 https://www.maryferrell.org/php/cryptdb.php?id=AMJOKE-1&search=Amjoke

…and that Joseph Milteer of the National States Rights Party claimed to be in Dallas on 11/22

…and that all four of them and others may have been in Dealey Plaza that day.

People like Denis Morrissette and Greg Wagner keep adding to the database.

We can keep adding to what they have put together.  It’s great material.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 2:06 AM, Bill Simpich said:
I believe Felipe Vidal Santiago and Roy Hargraves are the best candidates for the Dark Complected Man and the Umbrella Man, respectively.  

My request?  Can we focus on these two men and try to rule them in or out? 

Any more good photos?

Felipe Vidal Santiago's background shows his links with people like Roy Hargraves, Bill Harvey, and Gen. Walker.

Here are James Richards' photos and writeup of Felipe Vidal Santiago and Roy Hargraves -

Photomontage supplied by James Richards

As of 1/1/59,  Vidal was chief of maritime police in Castro's government, defected in Caracas 3/7/60, arrived in US 8/9/60, sought asylum 4/8/61.

11/19/62 Vidal's friend Roy Hargraves is friend with consul general of Guatemala John Bonilla, also friends with old Nicaraguan - hired Roy to plant a firebomb.

In December 1962, Felipe Vidal Santiago had a meeting with a lawyer connected to a "Citizen's Committee to Free Cuba". He told Vidal about a conversation he had with Henry Cabot Lodge, who had been told by Walt Rostow, that John F. Kennedy was exploring "a plan to open a dialogue with Cuba." Vidal was furious about what he considered to be an act of betrayal and immediately told leaders of the anti-Castro community and his CIA contact, Colonel William Bishop. According to Dick Russell, Vidal was also "an information conduit for" General Edwin Walker.  http://spartacus-educational.com/JFKbishopW.htm

In late 63, Larry Hancock reports in Somebody Would Have Talked that Vidal was apparently driving the car at Walker's home that had the license plate punched out while in police custody, found in LHO's possessions.  The car belonged to Charles Klihr, one of Walker's associates.

Nov. 63?  Vidal was in Dallas, violating INS regulations.   Hemming's buddy Howard Davis reported that Vidal got back from Dallas on 11/11 after visiting Gen. Walker for five days.

Dec 63 - Vidal, head of the anti-Castro FULN, states he has loosely worked with Roy Hargraves for the past two years and gives Hargraves money.

Jan 64 - FBI found Vidal was one of John Martino's sources on Cuban matters.

In Jan 64 - Hargraves and others were heading to Cuba with an anti-tank gun previously hidden at Vidal's home when the boat exploded and caught fire.

The Vidal-Hargraves relationship was strong during this period, as was their attraction to violence.   Vidal was executed by the Cubans by mid-64 for his spying.   Hargraves went on to commit a series of violent acts throughout the 1960s, always in the margins.   He told Noel Twyman that he was in Dallas on 11/22, hoping to be remembered for various violent activities on that day.

The book Oswald Code confirmed that Hargraves is the umbrella man and Vidal as the Dark Complected Man

23 minutes ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

It did nothing of the kind. The Umbrella Man is Louis Steven Witt and always has been.

Did you read the book itself?

11 hours ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

Did you read Witt's testimony before the HSCA, in which he describes the "dark complected man" in a way that makes it clear it could not have been Santiago?

But I am still curious if you have read the Oswald Code book. I have not, but am familiar with Witt's testimony. Witt makes a credible case for being there. But the proximity and actions of both UM and DCM doesn't ring true in the context of all the chaos immediately following the assassination. 

Edited by Nick Bartetzko

On 7/12/2024 at 5:41 PM, Calvin Ye said:

The book Oswald Code confirmed that Hargraves is the umbrella man and Vidal as the Dark Complected Man

Could you pls give a brief summary of the book and why you feel it provides such compelling proof as to Vidal and Hargraves being DCM and UM?

14 hours ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

Did you read Witt's testimony before the HSCA, in which he describes the "dark complected man" in a way that makes it clear it could not have been Santiago?

Perhaps you could post Witt's HSCA testimony here?

Here, I think I found it!!

HSCA Volume IV: 9/25/78 - Testimony of Louie Steven Witt (history-matters.com)

Edited by Robert Morrow