The Education Forum

The JFK Assassination Records Act Discussion

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's weird Jean! Making jokes about throwing batteries and boomers into the ocean or into the abyss.  Sounds a little sick, maybe  a lot of  anger there.

Then I got this. Are they the originators?, looks like a bunch of Asian kids around Koch's age and his level of humor.

https://www.facebook.com/p/TXT-Memes-100069621446967/

Ben, can you tell me about the origin of all these memes?

Jean you were asking a question about the electoral college and i was going to answer you but I got too busy. But I will. 

Was the question  if there was any way for the U.S. to get out of the  electoral college system?

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Jean you were asking a question about the electoral college and i was going to answer you but I got too busy. But I will. 

Was the question  if there was any way for the U.S. to get out of the  electoral college system?

I was wondering if in those states where the National Popular Vote Bill has not been enacted in a law, the Electoral College seems to have some freedom in who to vote for?Could they choose to not follow the popular votes?

Edited by Jean Ceulemans

Jean, There's not such a bill, but most  states are winner-take-all with a few small state exceptions.  It was set up to appeal to the lesser populated states. But we already have a bicameral legislature where the Senate has 2 reps for each state even though the number of people represented by reps in the smaller states such as Wyoming might be 100 times fewer than in California!

I had always heard to change the Electoral College System requires the approval of 2/3rds of the individual state legislatures. And being that in most states they would be voting against their interests. It would be a long shot to change it.

Then i read more recently that  using another legal maneuver they almost did throw out the electoral system in 1969, but failed.

There are a lot of things that could be done with a strong majority of Democrats in the 2 Legislatures and the President , including Universal Health Care, packing the Supreme Court, or putting term limits on service, protecting Woman's Rights, sensible gun legislation and getting rid of the Electoral College and in the population as a whole, these all would express the  will of the people. But it's the same story over and over again, Americans just don't vote in  their interests.   

Have i answered  your question, Jean?

35 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Jean, There's not such a bill, but most  states are winner-take-all with a few small state exceptions.  It was set up to appeal to the lesser populated states. But we already have a bicameral legislature where the Senate has 2 reps for each state even though the number of people represented by reps in the smaller states such as Wyoming might be 100 times fewer than in California!

I had always heard to change the Electoral College System requires the approval of 2/3rds of the individual state legislatures. And being that in most states they would be voting against their interests. It would be a long shot to change it.

Then i read more recently that  using another legal maneuver they almost did throw out the electoral system in 1969, but failed.

There are a lot of things that could be done with a strong majority of Democrats in the 2 Legislatures and the President , including Universal Health Care, packing the Supreme Court, or putting term limits on service, protecting Woman's Rights, sensible gun legislation and getting rid of the Electoral College and in the population as a whole, these all would express the  will of the people. But it's the same story over and over again, Americans just don't vote in  their interests.   

Have i answered  your question, Jean?

Thank you, I was somewhat confused by https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact#:~:text=The National Popular Vote Interstate,and the District of Columbia.

It says it was adopted in a number of states? But in general it´s not effective?

Well Americans have strong feelings about certain matters, my brother in law was an American, we got along fine, but stayed away from the topic of politics 😀 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ben,

Huh?  This sounds like something MAGA Mike Lindell would post on the forum.

Are you a closet Stop-the-Steal guy?

We all know that the Fox News talking heads pushed Trump's Stop-the-Steal scam in 2020, before contradicting themselves by later claiming that Trump's January 6th mob attack on Congress was a Deep State "Patriot Purge" op.

The truth is that Trump's January 6th debacle was predicated on Stop-the-Steal.

(Hannity and Tucker Carlson later testified in the Dominion lawsuit that they never actually believed Trump's Stop-the-Steal claims, despite promoting them on Fox News.)

At the very least, Fox and the Trumplicons should refrain from contradicting their own conspiracy theories.

38206774-9164047-image-a-18_161107535804

WN-

You have your views, I have mine. Isn't this really a water-cooler discussion? 

Even a Nixon, or an LBJ sometimes spoke the truth. If I cite something true Nixon said, that does not make me a 1970's GOP'er. 

The fact that the D-Party runs effective ballot-harvesting operations, enabled by the use of absentee ballot voting, and even absentee ballot drop-off boxes, is fairly well known.

The practice may even be legal. Seems to be a grayzone. 

Elections in the US are run like a Goodwill stores in a third-tier Rust Belt city.  In blue states and red.

France requires proof of citizenship at the poll and hand-counts every ballot. They are able to do that in days. France! 

The NYT ran cover magazine stories to the effect there was a "crisis" in election security in 2019. 

Pointing out that US elections can be gimmicked...is just stating the obvious. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Wow, that's weird Jean! Making jokes about throwing batteries and boomers into the ocean or into the abyss.  Sounds a little sick, maybe  a lot of  anger there.

Then I got this. Are they the originators?, looks like a bunch of Asian kids around Koch's age and his level of humor.

https://www.facebook.com/p/TXT-Memes-100069621446967/

Ben, can you tell me about the origin of all these memes?

KG-

Jean C. is right, this stuff floats around the X. You can do a partial screen save, then make a link postimg and paste into a comment. 

Here is an image, I wonder if anyone remembers it. In a way it is President Biden. The backstory on this image tells a tale----

Screen-Shot-2566-08-23-at-18-50-35.png

Hint on image origins...think Desilu Productions. Maybe only Pat Speer will get this one, if he is reading. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

8 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I know you are.

You didn't answer my question. Where did you pick up this cartoon from?

No one answer my q's either, even when they are on-topic:

Why did Biden/Garland do a permanent snuff job on the JFK Records Act? 

46 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

WN-

You have your views, I have mine. Isn't this really a water-cooler discussion? 

Even a Nixon, or an LBJ sometimes spoke the truth. If I cite something true Nixon said, that does not make me a 1970's GOP'er. 

The fact that the D-Party runs effective ballot-harvesting operations, enabled by the use of absentee ballot voting, and even absentee ballot drop-off boxes, is fairly well known.

The practice may even be legal. Seems to be a grayzone. 

Elections in the US are run like a Goodwill stores in a third-tier Rust Belt city.  In blue states and red.

France requires proof of citizenship at the poll and hand-counts every ballot. They are able to do that in days. France! 

The NYT ran cover magazine stories to the effect there was a "crisis" in election security in 2019. 

Pointing out that US elections can be gimmicked...is just stating the obvious. 

Ben,

The GOP has been falsely accusing Democrats of voter fraud for the past several years-- mainly as a pretext for their voter suppression efforts in multiple red states, especially after Shelby v. Holder.

Studies have consistently shown that voter fraud is almost non-existent in the U.S., and the Trump/Giuliani Stop-the-Steal squad lost multiple lawsuits in their efforts to overturn the 2020 election results-- on the grounds that they simply had no evidence to support their claims.

In fact, we later learned from Steve Bannon that Donald Trump had planned to claim that the 2020 election was stolen EVEN BEFORE NOVEMBER of 2020!

Then Trump and his goons actually organized slates of False Electors in multiple states, to overturn the election results on January 6th.

If you and Mathew Koch are truly concerned about election "gimmicks," you need to study the GOP.