The Education Forum

2024 Democratic Presidential Nominee

Apparently Cooper had to bow out because there is an insane person currently occupying the position of lieutenant governor there in N.C., who literally does batsh*t crazy stuff every time Cooper leaves the state. Quite a situation.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harris is now the Democratic Party nominee after the virtual roll call vote. She has also chosen Minnesota Governor Tim Walz as her running mate in 2024.

Edited by Denny Zartman

On 7/28/2024 at 7:00 PM, Cliff Varnell said:

Take Rupert Murdoch with him.

I have a new VP favorite -- Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz.

Double down on the Smart & Cheerful vibe.

Called it.  The Democratic Establishment wanted Shapiro (so did I for awhile) but Harris went with the desires of the activist base.  Great pick!

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Being the defensive coordinator on a high school team that had gone 0-27 the previous three years before he started to winning a State Championship three years later is quite an accomplishment in HS football.  Plus, they have since become a state powerhouse winning I think it said five more championships in another article.

Tim Walz was a football coach before being Kamala Harris’ VP pick (msn.com)

The attacks, they're a coming.  Typical fair for the NY Post.  He resigned from the Guard after 24 years to fun for congress in a red district where he was re-elected 5 times and served 12 years, now 6 as a governor.  A good bit more government service then JD Vance.

Tim Walz a ‘coward’ and ‘traitor’ for retiring from military before Iraq, says Guardsman who replaced VP pick (msn.com)

Four years in the Marines out of high school, a 6 month tour in Iraq as a military journalist.  Two years in the senate as a Trump lackey.  Don't miss the I gave a kid an eraser and it changed my life.

Was JD Vance a Marine? Here's what he did before politics (usatoday.com)

I saw the Harris/Walz rally last night, watched some TV pundit analysis today, and read through comments on other political forums online.

I'm not doing backflips over Walz. I have mixed feelings.

It seems Shapiro would have been subject to the ugliest anti-Semitic attacks every day had he been the choice. On the flip side, it would have been nice for the Democrats to have Pennsylvania virtually in their pocket. So, in my view, it's a bit of a gamble not picking Shapiro. But so far the gambles have been paying off. (My personal ideas/preferences for political strategy are likely out-of-date anyway.)

Walz is aligned with a few political positions that are important to me. He seems like a pretty decent speaker and he has "the cool teacher" energy. In some photos his resemblance to Steve Martin is striking. 

But I found the happy talk about his sharpshooting and hunting skills to be a turn off. That doesn't affect the cost of rent or the availability of affordable housing in America.

I understand what the campaign is doing. They're attempting to outflank the conservatives on the gun issue by playing up Walz as a "gun guy." For all I know it may be a sound political strategy. A CNN pundit said Walz was chosen in part because he "reads Republican" and I can see why that would be a fair characterization. So perhaps he will have a little crossover appeal, knowing that even under the best conditions the VP candidate rarely has a significant effect on the election.

4 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

But I found the happy talk about his sharpshooting and hunting skills to be a turn off. That doesn't affect the cost of rent or the availability of affordable housing in America.

I understand what the campaign is doing. They're attempting to outflank the conservatives on the gun issue by playing up Walz as a "gun guy." For all I know it may be a sound political strategy. A CNN pundit said Walz was chosen in part because he "reads Republican" and I can see why that would be a fair characterization. So perhaps he will have a little crossover appeal, knowing that even under the best conditions the VP candidate rarely has a significant effect on the election.

Denny, Walz had an epiphany after the Parkland shooting and turned an "A" from the NRA to an "F".

https://www.msnbc.com/alex-wagner-tonight/watch/how-gov-tim-walz-became-the-gun-lobby-s-worst-nightmare-and-a-gen-z-ally-216596549953

Go ahead and back flip!

Edited by Cliff Varnell

51 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Denny, Walz had an epiphany after the Parkland shooting and turned an "A" from the NRA to an "F".

https://www.msnbc.com/alex-wagner-tonight/watch/how-gov-tim-walz-became-the-gun-lobby-s-worst-nightmare-and-a-gen-z-ally-216596549953

Go ahead and back flip!

That is good news. I'm keeping my focus on what have in common.

A Harris campaign canvasser came by my house today. I was glad to see them. In my opinion that's an encouraging sign.

It's been interesting watching these Harris/Walz rallies these past few days. The one in Arizona the other day was impressive. The crowds were large and pumped up. Makes me guess that the DNC might want to consider having Harris give her acceptance remotely from Soldier Field. (I have a memory where that happened at a convention once before.)

On 8/7/2024 at 2:13 PM, Cliff Varnell said:

Go ahead and back flip!

That's a great video Cliff.  Thanks for sharing.