The Education Forum

Dave Powers motorcade film

It seems that I read somewhere that Dave Powers went to his grave with film of the shooting. If I remember correctly, he said that he would not put the Kennedy family through the added nightmare of seeing what was on his film. Afterall, he and JFK were very close friends as well.

From "Man of the House" by former Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill (p. 178):

I was never one of those people who had doubts or suspicions about the Warren Commission's report on the president's death. But five years after Jack died, I was having dinner with Kenny O'Donnell and a few other people at Jimmy's Harborside Restaurant in Boston, and we got to talking about the assassination.

I was surprised to hear O'Donnell say that he was sure he had heard two shots that came from behind the fence.

"That's not what you told the Warren Commission," I said.

"You're right," he replied. "I told the FBI what I heard, but they said it couldn't have happened that way and that I must have been imagining things. So I testified the way they wanted me to. I just didn't want to stir up any more pain and trouble for the family."

"I can't believe it," I said. "I wouldn't have done that in a million years. I would have told the truth."

"Tip, you have to understand. The family---everybody wanted this thing behind them."

Dave Powers was with us at dinner that night, and his recollections of the shots was the same as O'Donnell's. Kenny O'Donnell is no longer alive, but during the writing of this book I checked with Dave Powers. As they say in the news business, he stands by his story.

Edited by Ron Ecker

It seems to me that this film makes utter nonsense of the SBT. Not even a shot from Powers himself could accomplish those wounds.

Terry Adams Posted Yesterday, 09:14 PM

It seems that I read somewhere that Dave Powers went to his grave with film of the shooting. If I remember correctly, he said that he would not put the Kennedy family through the added nightmare of seeing what was on his film. Afterall, he and JFK were very close friends as well.

The film is indeed in existence and available in some format for instance on the site below:

Personally, I doubt that Mr. Powers did in fact run out of film....

http://edition.cnn.com/US/9611/21/kennedy.lost.film/

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Nearly 33 years after President John F. Kennedy's assassination in Dallas, a three-minute amateur film showing some of the final minutes of the president's life was made public Thursday.

Friday is the 33rd anniversary of Kennedy's assassination. The film of events during Kennedy's trip to Dallas on November 21 and 22, 1963, was made by his aide, Dave Powers. It does not show the fatal shooting.

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, share your skepticism of this "official" story.

I, too, share your skepticism of this "official" story.

I had the pleasure of watching master video copies of Powers’ films of JFK during the White House years on high-end video editing equipment at the JFK Library in Boston, MA.. The films are all as jerky/choppy as the footage he took on 11/23, which I was allowed to view at the JFK Library. Although I wish Powers had filmed the assassination or JFK at Parkland, I have no doubt that Powers ran out of film.

John Hunt

"Tip, you have to understand. The family---everybody wanted this thing behind them."

No pun intended I guess.....

Yeah and Arlen Specter, the FBI the CIA...

Another one of Tip's drunken rememberances I take it..

Somehow I wish all these people who would "later remember" in "someone's biography" would stop by the courthouse and make a sworn statement..ohh something to the effect of " the FBI made me change my statement"...

These post mortem admissions would then be a little more compelling...

An interesting question remains:

From the existing film, photos and footage, I wonder if it can be calculated as to how long he did actually roll for...

And how much of thew Dal Tex building he got in frame.....

just a thought....

Edited by Blair Dobson

Dave Powers claims he ran out of film before the fatal moments in DP.

I wonder why ole Abe Zapruder didn't continue filming after the motorcade passed under the underpass. Surely there would have been plenty to film, many newsmen stuck around and took pictures.

Don't tell me Zapruder ran out of film too.....

Guest Stephen Turner
Dave Powers claims he ran out of film before the fatal moments in DP.

I wonder why ole Abe Zapruder didn't continue filming after the motorcade passed under the underpass. Surely there would have been plenty to film, many newsmen stuck around and took pictures.

Don't tell me Zapruder ran out of film too.....

Antti, I can well imagine that he was so shocked by what he had witnessed, that he had little stomach for further filming, after all, he wasn't a professional newshound..

• 9 years later...

I was listening to Thom Hartmann's radio program today, and a caller brought up the Kennedy assassination. For those of you who don't know, Hartmann co-wrote a (quite mainstream) book about the assassination with Lamar Waldron. The crux of their theory is that the Mob did it (although they believe Morales, Sturgis, and Bernard Barker were involved, but on the Mafia's payroll).

I really like Hartmann, but you can tell he's been out of the game for quite a bit. For example, he said Howard Hunt was the #3 man in the CIA in 1963 (!!)

Anyway, as part of their research for the book, they interviewed a ton of primary sources, notably a lot of staff members of the Kennedy brothers. Thom claimed on his show today - and Thom, IMO, is as honest as they come - that when he met Dave Powers face-to-face, he confided in him that he saw a gun being fired from the grassy knoll.

In Altgens 6, is Dave Powers not seated center rear in the Queen Mary, not filming, and also apparently oblivious to the throat wounding?

A thought: If Altgens 6 shows him smiling and oblivious to the throat wounding, how does that affect Powers' timing of any other wounding he saw, if any (e.g., the back wound)?

Edited by David Andrews