The Education Forum

The Commission by Mark Sobel

In 2004 Mark Sobel produced a film entitled The Commission, which was slated to appear at art film theatres in various locations. To the best of my knowledge, it is not available on DVD.

The film was shot entirely in black and white and features many well known actors. A viewing the clips available at the link posted below (highly recommended) indicates to me the film appears to be powerful and accurate in its depiction of problems that faced the Warren Commission.

If anyone has seen this, I would be interested in their impressions. The following is an excerpt from the film's website:

"I wanted the audience to feel as though I'd edited together previously unseen newsreel film shot in 1964 that I'd discovered collecting dust in a top secret vault." --- the filmmaker

THE COMMISSION

In the aftermath of the brutal assassination of US President John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963, 7 Americans of "unimpeachable" integrity were selected by US President Lyndon B. Johnson to report to the American public on all of the facts regarding the assassination, "as far as they can be known". At the end of the term of "The President's Commission," (known unofficially as "The Warren Commission"), all transcripts of the secret meetings of the 7 Commissioners were originally classified as TOP SECRET for 75 years, to have remained sealed from the public until the year 2039!

Through the legal challenges of private citizens over a period of years, these transcripts were gradually declassified without publicity or fanfare. Never published for the public at large, the many hundreds of pages of verbatim discussion have languished within the US National Archives for 40 years --- largely forgotten by history, awaiting a reader. "THE COMMISSION" takes the audience behind those closed doors to discover why US National Security demanded that the matter remain Top Secret for 75 years. What unfolds will doubtless shock many. Some may become angered. Some will cry. And afterwards, our view of the integrity of "the greatest murder investigation in the history of the world" will never again be the same.

With a distinguished cast lead by Academy Award winner Martin Landau, Academy Award Nominee Sam Waterston, and Golden Globe Winner Martin Sheen.

Also starring 7-time Emmy Winner Ed Asner, Joe Don Baker, Corbin Bernsen, Lloyd Bochner, Stephen Collins, Henry Gibson and Alex McArthur, "THE COMMISSION" depicts a complex character study of 7 men of great political power and influence. More than history, "THE COMMISSION" is a powerful commentary on the integrity of the Political and Justice System both today, and well into the foreseeable future. Every American, regardless of age, should see this film --- "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Although Arthur Miller's play "THE CRUCIBLE" was, on the surface, about an injustice in the distant past, the play was actually a commentary on political injustice at the time of its writing. Similarly, with more Commissions going on in Washington today than at any time in recent memory, "THE COMMISSION" tells a story that is more relevant today than ever.

Permission is granted to quote from all or part of the synopsis in articles and reviews.

http://www.thecommissiononline.com/menu.htm

Edited by Michael Hogan

I believe Sobel did a Black Ops interview last year, if thats correct, it'll be in their archive.... interviews run at least a hour, some two.

Google Black Ops Radio (internet)

In 2004 Mark Sobel produced a film entitled The Commission, which was slated to appear at art film theatres in various locations. To the best of my knowledge, it is not available on DVD.

The film was shot entirely in black and white and features many well know actors. A viewing the clips available at the link posted below (highly recommended) indicates to me the film appears to be powerful and accurate in its depiction of problems that faced the Warren Commission.

If anyone has seen this, I would be interested in their impressions. The following is an excerpt from the film's website:

"I wanted the audience to feel as though I'd edited together previously unseen newsreel film shot in 1964 that I'd discovered collecting dust in a top secret vault." --- the filmmaker

THE COMMISSION

In the aftermath of the brutal assassination of US President John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963, 7 Americans of "unimpeachable" integrity were selected by US President Lyndon B. Johnson to report to the American public on all of the facts regarding the assassination, "as far as they can be known". At the end of the term of "The President's Commission," (known unofficially as "The Warren Commission"), all transcripts of the secret meetings of the 7 Commissioners were originally classified as TOP SECRET for 75 years, to have remained sealed from the public until the year 2039!

Through the legal challenges of private citizens over a period of years, these transcripts were gradually declassified without publicity or fanfare. Never published for the public at large, the many hundreds of pages of verbatim discussion have languished within the US National Archives for 40 years --- largely forgotten by history, awaiting a reader. "THE COMMISSION" takes the audience behind those closed doors to discover why US National Security demanded that the matter remain Top Secret for 75 years. What unfolds will doubtless shock many. Some may become angered. Some will cry. And afterwards, our view of the integrity of "the greatest murder investigation in the history of the world" will never again be the same.

With a distinguished cast lead by Academy Award winner Martin Landau, Academy Award Nominee Sam Waterston, and Golden Globe Winner Martin Sheen.

Also starring 7-time Emmy Winner Ed Asner, Joe Don Baker, Corbin Bernsen, Lloyd Bochner, Stephen Collins, Henry Gibson and Alex McArthur, "THE COMMISSION" depicts a complex character study of 7 men of great political power and influence. More than history, "THE COMMISSION" is a powerful commentary on the integrity of the Political and Justice System both today, and well into the foreseeable future. Every American, regardless of age, should see this film --- "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Although Arthur Miller's play "THE CRUCIBLE" was, on the surface, about an injustice in the distant past, the play was actually a commentary on political injustice at the time of its writing. Similarly, with more Commissions going on in Washington today than at any time in recent memory, "THE COMMISSION" tells a story that is more relevant today than ever.

Permission is granted to quote from all or part of the synopsis in articles and reviews.

http://www.thecommissiononline.com/menu.htm

Mark Sobel told me a couple of years ago that his film the Commission would be played at film festivals only until, he can get it distributed.

What he is encountering is the same problems as Michael Moore with Farenheit 9/11.

I'd be intersted in a DVD version as well, but I fear his goal is movie theaters, and he will thus not release it on DVD for a while. I hope I'm wrong though.

Mark Sobel told me a couple of years ago that his film the Commission would be played at film festivals only until, he can get it distributed.

What he is encountering is the same problems as Michael Moore with Farenheit 9/11.

I'd be intersted in a DVD version as well, but I fear his goal is movie theaters, and he will thus not release it on DVD for a while. I hope I'm wrong though.

Mark is shooting some additional footage and re-editing the film. You might even see yours truly in a quick shot or two. He has received virtually no interest from any of the cable channels, etc. It will probably be a DVD only release with bonus interviews on the state of the investigation. He interviewed a number of the presenters at Lancer, myself included. While his movie was originally just some great actors acting out the WC executive transcripts, he's trying to add in some inserts that will liven things up a little.

• 5 years later...

Martin, maybe soon as in 2012.

http://www.marksobel.com/COMMISSION/first.htm

Quote:

"NOTE: The website IMDB.com has the film listed as having had a June 2007 release. This is incorrect.

It has been screened as a "work-in-progress" at the AFI Film Festival in Los Angeles and the IFP Market Awards in New York.

The film remains in post through 2011."

I sent an email...waiting reply

Martin, maybe soon as in 2012.

http://www.marksobel.com/COMMISSION/first.htm

Quote:

"NOTE: The website IMDB.com has the film listed as having had a June 2007 release. This is incorrect.

It has been screened as a "work-in-progress" at the AFI Film Festival in Los Angeles and the IFP Market Awards in New York.

The film remains in post through 2011."

I sent an email...waiting reply

Thanks Ed.

Please let me know if you hear anything back.

Your in luck Martin!

Just received a call back from Mark.

He will be releasing the film for the 50th.

No exact date but his intention is to have it finished and ready by then.

I asked about the changes he has made since speaking to Pat Speer.

Differences in the film are the addition of Kennedy as a character in the film. And as a victim. His speeches will punctuate the film throughout. It will be another layer.

No plans for DVD and he could not specify where he will have a screening.

He is just intent on completing the film in a more matured version.

I related that many folks on the forums are waiting for it and will be excited to see it come to fruition.

Ed

Is the one that Sam Waterson did?

Yes Mark!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310906/

Using transcripts from the Warren Commission Report, this film documents the workings of the Warren Commission, which investigated the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963.

Director: Mark Sobel

Writer: Mark Sobel

Stars: Martin Landau, Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen

• 1 year later...

Martin

http://www.marksobel.com/COMMISSION/menu.htm

There are clips at

YouTube looks interesting!.

Ian

Edited by Ian Kingsbury

Is the one that Sam Waterson did?

Yes Mark!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310906/

Using transcripts from the Warren Commission Report, this film documents the workings of the Warren Commission, which investigated the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963.

Director: Mark Sobel

Writer: Mark Sobel

Stars: Martin Landau, Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen

Amazing that it's taken 10 years for a film with such a 'star studded' cast by a well known writer-director has taken so much time to come out