The Education Forum

Cyril Wecht Getting too close for some maybe?

I happen to put a lot of creedence into the findings of Dr. Cyril Wecht, I really think he has quite a grasp of forensics, below is a news clipping of the day he was indicted on numerous counts and charges and my thoughts are that he may have gotten a lot closer to the actual truth of some of the high profile cases that he looked into i.e. JFK.

Seizing all of his files and his computers, I'll just bet that files and memory disappear and no one will be accountable for their loss...

Anyone want to post their thoughts on this?

Friday :: January 20, 2006

PA Coroner Cyril Wecht Indicted

High-profile Allegheny county coroner Cyril Wecht has been indicted on 84 counts of mail fraud, wire fraud and related offenses arising from his alleged use of government resources to benefit his private practice.

FBI agents searched his office, seizing computers and his private files last spring, and three of his employees resigned as the federal investigation proceeded.

Wecht... has said he is careful to not do private work on county time. He also has said he has never been questioned about the private consulting work he has done for the decades he has held a government job.

....Wecht, who is also an attorney, teaches at the University of Pittsburgh and Duquesne University. He did not immediately return messages seeking comment Friday.

While I often disagreed with Wecht's conclusions, particularly in the JonBenet Ramsey case, I liked him personally and am sorry for his difficulties.

Former U.S. Attorney Dick Thornburgh is among those on his defense team. If Thornburgh couldn't negotiate a deal prior to indictment, that signals to me prosecutors want jail time from him.

Good luck, Cyril.

Update: The AP reports on the charges:

[The charges include] using county employees to campaign for him and handle his private lab work. The indictment also accuses Wecht of trading unclaimed bodies stored by the county coroners office, which he headed, to a Pittsburgh university in exchange for use of a laboratory there for his private practice....[it] accuses him of using county employees to run private errands and do work for his private practice between 1996 and December 2005.... [they include] mail fraud, wire fraud, theft of honest services and theft from the county coroner's office.

Dr. Wecht responded to reporters today:

"Am I innocent? Yes, I'm innocent," Wecht told reporters Friday evening. Asked whether he thought the indictment would affect his reputation, he said: "Reputation is in the eyes of the beholder, as is beauty. So we'll see how it plays out with people."

Wecht's side says the charges grew out of a feud with the District Attorney.

The attorneys said the investigation began as a result of "fanciful allegations" by the county district attorney, with whom Wecht has feuded. They also questioned the U.S. attorney's jurisdiction over his conduct in county government. The indictment said federal authorities have jurisdiction because the county uses some federal funds.

As for who might be witnesses against him:

Two people who worked for him were indicted, one accused of performing private lab work on county time, the other of submitting false mileage reimbursement invoices for work done in neighboring counties.

Interesting right? Scott

I happen to put a lot of creedence into the findings of Dr. Cyril Wecht, I really think he has quite a grasp of forensics, below is a news clipping of the day he was indicted on numerous counts and charges and my thoughts are that he may have gotten a lot closer to the actual truth of some of the high profile cases that he looked into i.e. JFK.

Seizing all of his files and his computers, I'll just bet that files and memory disappear and no one will be accountable for their loss...

High-profile Allegheny county coroner Cyril Wecht has been indicted on 84 counts of mail fraud, wire fraud and related offenses arising from his alleged use of government resources to benefit his private practice.

FBI agents searched his office, seizing computers and his private files last spring, and three of his employees resigned as the federal investigation proceeded.

Wecht... has said he is careful to not do private work on county time. He also has said he has never been questioned about the private consulting work he has done for the decades he has held a government job.

....Wecht, who is also an attorney, teaches at the University of Pittsburgh and Duquesne University. He did not immediately return messages seeking comment Friday.

While I often disagreed with Wecht's conclusions, particularly in the JonBenet Ramsey case, I liked him personally and am sorry for his difficulties.

Former U.S. Attorney Dick Thornburgh is among those on his defense team. If Thornburgh couldn't negotiate a deal prior to indictment, that signals to me prosecutors want jail time from him.

Good luck, Cyril.

[The charges include] using county employees to campaign for him and handle his private lab work. The indictment also accuses Wecht of trading unclaimed bodies stored by the county coroners office, which he headed, to a Pittsburgh university in exchange for use of a laboratory there for his private practice....[it] accuses him of using county employees to run private errands and do work for his private practice between 1996 and December 2005.... [they include] mail fraud, wire fraud, theft of honest services and theft from the county coroner's office.

"Am I innocent? Yes, I'm innocent," Wecht told reporters Friday evening. Asked whether he thought the indictment would affect his reputation, he said: "Reputation is in the eyes of the beholder, as is beauty. So we'll see how it plays out with people."

The attorneys said the investigation began as a result of "fanciful allegations" by the county district attorney, with whom Wecht has feuded. They also questioned the U.S. attorney's jurisdiction over his conduct in county government. The indictment said federal authorities have jurisdiction because the county uses some federal funds.

Two people who worked for him were indicted, one accused of performing private lab work on county time, the other of submitting false mileage reimbursement invoices for work done in neighboring counties.

Interesting right? Scott

One might regard this as punitive. You cannot reasonably regard it as preventative, IMO. What Wecht has to say about this matter was said long ago -- clearly, repeatedly, and vehemently. This horse left the barn far too long ago to be muzzled.

Good luck, Cyril.

Interesting right? Scott

One might regard this as punitive. You cannot reasonably regard it as preventative, IMO. What Wecht has to say about this matter was said long ago -- clearly, repeatedly, and vehemently. This horse left the barn far too long ago to be muzzled.

shall we assume; the prosecution rests?

Wecht has been very active in Democratic politics throughout his life. If this investigation is punitive, I suspect it has more to do with his politics than with his interests in the assassination (although one can never fully separate the two). The one thing that concerns me about his problems (in regards to the Kennedy assassination) is the report that his files on the assassination have been seized. In light of the FBI's attempting to get control of Jack Anderson's files, one can never be too sure why this occurred. Unlike Anderson, who kept many a secret, however, it's doubtful Wecht would have anything shocking or revealing in his files at this point.

Wecht has been very active in Democratic politics throughout his life. If this investigation is punitive, I suspect it has more to do with his politics than with his interests in the assassination (although one can never fully separate the two). The one thing that concerns me about his problems (in regards to the Kennedy assassination) is the report that his files on the assassination have been seized. In light of the FBI's attempting to get control of Jack Anderson's files, one can never be too sure why this occurred. Unlike Anderson, who kept many a secret, however, it's doubtful Wecht would have anything shocking or revealing in his files at this point.

Agreed. The unsual aspect of this case is not the allegations of wrongdoing -- which may or may not be true -- but the fact that it is being prosecuted federally and not locally. You can be fairly sure, though, that if this were really JFK related, Wecht would be screaming that from the mountaintop -- and telling us what they seized. He is no shrinking violet.

The one thing that concerns me about his problems (in regards to the Kennedy assassination) is the report that his files on the assassination have been seized. In light of the FBI's attempting to get control of Jack Anderson's files, one can never be too sure why this occurred.

Agreed. The unsual aspect of this case is not the allegations of wrongdoing -- which may or may not be true -- but the fact that it is being prosecuted federally and not locally. You can be fairly sure, though, that if this were really JFK related, Wecht would be screaming that from the mountaintop -- and telling us what they seized. He is no shrinking violet.

I will only add that, over the last few years, and especially the last few months there is now a new dynamic 'in play' regarding anyone in the world who is a participant in the search for information. In 2006, any JFK Researcher, who isn't familiar with 'Total Information Awareness,' should become familiar, it would be a good idea, to say the least.

The [June 2006] issue of Consumer Reports features an insightful article entitled 'The End of Privacy?' if you read it, you will be more clued in than a lot of people.

Nobody can deny that there is an urgent need for security in the third millenium, irrespective of one's geographical border's. To say America is definitely no exception, would be the proverbial understatement our foreign policy these day's isn't exactly "Winning Friends and Influencing People, at least in the manner of Dale Carnegie." I'm being flippant, of course. But what do you expect. JFK was the last intellectual President we had, we have progressively wen't from Dumb and Dumber, to Dumber and Dumberer.

The man who once said

'Mankind must put an end to War, or War will Put and End to Mankind," seemed to know a little bit more about geopolitics than the current stumblebums. It's pretty sad to think the way one tiny part of corporate America ostensibly paid tribute to him, is by creating a computer game where you try to kill him.

Only in America.....

I just raise the question that has been raised many times in the past.

Who watches the watchmen?

Edited by Robert Howard

• 3 months later...

U.S. appeals court freezes Wecht's trial

Considers request from ex-coroner to remove judge

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has stayed the criminal trial of former Allegheny County Coroner Dr. Cyril H. Wecht pending its decision on whether the judge hearing the case should be removed.

Last week, attorneys for Dr. Wecht argued to a three-judge panel that U.S. District Judge Arthur J. Schwab has not been impartial in his rulings, and because of that, their client cannot receive a fair trial.

The appeals court has not issued a formal ruling, but late Friday, it issued an order staying the trial. That order became public early yesterday morning as the parties met before Judge Schwab for the final pretrial conference in the case.

Dr. Wecht's trial on 84 counts, including mail and wire fraud, was scheduled to begin Oct. 16. Dr. Wecht's lawyers declined comment on the development, as did Judge Schwab.

Recusals are very rare, so the court's action staying the case is noteworthy, experts say.

John Burkoff, a professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, said it's "almost impossible" to win a recusal case.

"That's a real slap from the appellate court to the trial court, and that doesn't happen very often," he said.

"It's an easy thing to say but very difficult to prove. A recusal based on an allegation of bias [is] very rarely [granted]."

The federal judiciary does not keep a tally of how often such motions are granted.

Though issuing a stay is an unusual step, it does not automatically mean the appeals court is planning to remove Judge Schwab.

It might indicate that there is some potential substance in the argument raised by the defense that the appeals court wants to review.

Mr. Burkoff believes that the issue before the court isn't whether Judge Schwab issued the wrong decisions, but whether he abused his discretion in not recusing himself when the defense attorneys asked.

"You can have a judge who's done everything right, but is there an appearance of impropriety?" Mr. Burkoff said. "He may not have done anything wrong, but the appellate court could think it looks like he did."

Dr. Wecht's attorneys said they would seek Judge Schwab's recusal in June after he said he would pursue contempt proceedings against them after the trial because they did not follow his orders.

The defense contends that the judge had improper, secret communications with the prosecution; that he has shown bias against Dr. Wecht in his court rulings; that the judge improperly reviewed potential evidence in the case on his own and then used that information in a ruling; and that he has prohibited Dr. Wecht's attorneys from pursuing a zealous defense.

During oral arguments, at least one of the appellate judges, Julio Fuentes, might have shown which way he was leaning in the case when he said, "In listening to [defense attorney Jerry] McDevitt, he makes a pretty good case. It's an extraordinary remedy, but he's putting together a series of events that he says show bias on his client."

Former 3rd Circuit Judge Timothy K. Lewis, who left the federal bench in 2000, said that issuing a stay in the trial proceedings is the right thing to do to be fair to all the parties involved.

"That said," he continued, "this is not by any means a tip of the hand they're going to rule in favor of Wecht," he said. "It's an indication only that they have not found it to be a frivolous matter, and they're considering it seriously.

U.S. Attorney Mary Beth Buchanan said she would not comment, other than to say, "It's impossible to read anything into the court's order."

In an opinion by the 3rd Circuit Court in August 2004, Judge Schwab was chastised for taking the entirety of a proposed opinion filed by a defense attorney and using it as his own.

He had granted a dismissal of a lawsuit filed by John Bright, whose 8-year-old daughter, Annette, was murdered in 2001 by a man on probation. Mr. Bright sued probation officers in Westmoreland County for not doing enough to keep the killer away from her.

Judge Schwab asked for a "consolidated statement" of the defense position, and after the lawyers submitted a proposed opinion, he adopted it without making any substantive changes, other than those for style, and never gave Mr. Bright a chance to reply.

"Courts and judges exist to provide neutral [forums] in which persons and entities can have their professional disputes and personal crises resolved," wrote Judge Richard Nygaard in a 2004 opinion. "Any degree of impropriety, or even the appearance thereof, undermines our legitimacy and effectiveness."

If Judge Schwab is removed from the case, a newly appointed judge would meet with the lawyers to discuss what motions and arguments need to be resubmitted and decide how the case will proceed.

"A new judge would want to be extremely careful to review everything that had been disputed to make sure improper appearance is corrected," Mr. Burkoff said.

Judge Schwab, who sought a seat on the federal bench for 17 years, was appointed to the court in the Western District of Pennsylvania in September 2002.

He first was considered for the district court in 1985. Then in 1988, Judge Schwab, now 59, of Butler County, was considered a lock for a position on the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals when Judge Joseph F. Weis Jr. took senior status. But his nomination was foiled when the American Bar Association gave him an "unqualified" rating.

At the time, Judge Schwab said he believed the rating was based on his conservative religious and political beliefs. He is an evangelical Christian.

But the chairman of the bar association's screening committee said Judge Schwab received the unfavorable rating because he lacked experience in federal court.

Before joining the district court, Judge Schwab worked at the law firm Buchanan Ingersoll, serving for his last two years as chief counsel for complex litigation.

The judge served as a federal court clerk out of law school, and began his career in private practice in 1973 at Reed Smith, where he served as deputy head of the litigation group and was the first chairman of the firm's Techlex Group, which specialized in legal services for high-tech firms. He left Reed Smith in 1990.

The horse out of the barn analogy doesn't really apply here. I have worked with Dr. Wecht and know he has done newer things related to JFK case than most are aware of. I'm convinced these are trumped-up charges to both silence and punish him. He is now currently without even sufficient funds to mount his legal defense and stands to be personally and professionally destroyed. Anyone now who is perceived by the neo-fascists in power as 'anti-American' [read pro-democracy, law, constitution and what the US used to stand for] are now subject to attack and destruction. Cryil could use any and all support now - moral, financial, other.....and I hope that someone at the November conventions will 'pass the hat' for his legal defense fund, information on which can be found on the internet...contact me if you can't find it. In addition to JFK - related forensic pathology he has been involved in the following as well as other high-profile cases: Being an expert in Forensic Medicine, Dr. Wecht has frequently appeared on several nationally syndicated programs discussing various medicolegal and forensic scientific issues, including medical malpractice, drug abuse, the assassinations of both President John F. Kennedy and Senator Robert F. Kennedy, the death of Elvis Presley, the O.J. Simpson case, and the JonBenet Ramsey cases. His expertise has also been utilized in high profile cases involving Mary Jo Kopechne, Sunny von Bulow, Jean Harris, Dr. Jeffrey McDonald, the Waco Branch Davidian fire, and Vincent Foster. A comprehensive study of these cases are discussed from the perspective of Dr. Wecht's own professional involvement in his books, Cause of Death, Grave Secrets, and Who Killed JonBenet Ramsey? His political and social ethics and beliefs IMO also make him a desirable 'target' for the Huns at the wheel of the ship of State now.

I have been in contact with Cyril within the last few days and they have seized ALL of his JFK related files and materials as well as much else. He is not screaming as they have him in a 'very difficult and delicate' situation and to the extent I understand it would also like to not detail it. He needs all of our help and concern...if it can happen to him, it can happen to any of us who are researchers or in 'opposition' to what is happening to our country. In fact, it happend to me...if in a different way and that is why I now live outside the USA...after having lost everything on 'seemingly unrelated' [to my research] legal attacks. That is how it is so often done. I sense from Cyril very deep concern about his future in all regards. I think the statement above is incorrect, that he would be 'screaming' if JFK [or other high-profile case or political view] related. The most he could say on this is that they 'are not directly related, but also not totally unrelated' [i am paraphrasing].....these are very difficult times for him and for all of us...who is next?

Pete: For your information and background research: Dr. Cyril has just had all his past research notes and papers on many cases confiscated... IRS is knocking at his door as we read... Sound familiar? One very important case, among many, which he worked on a few years back was the Col James Sabow case, which is now being re investigated as a murder case. The findings of that case, as well as others, has now left in a little white van with government plates going east toward the sunrise from Pittsburgh.

While we think Dr Cyril's problems are perhaps related to JFK, I think different. I think there is more to this than JFK. We do not know which records they really wanted... they took them all. Now as of yesterday I became aware that I too am in process of being investigating concerning a possible FBI- FAG charge filed on me because of the OC article, as well as others, of last week. (False Accusations on Government) , a charge that has not been used in over thirty years (not sience Civil Rights Movement) Basicly I am to shut the F up. Well you and others now have this information before the fact and now we will see what the rest of the story has to say about these matters. I assure you of one thing I will not do a G. Webb or a Vicent Forster checkout. They will have to blow my ass away in public. Later T

[quote name='Peter Lemkin' date='Sep 21 2006, 06:28 AM' post='75407']

The horse out of the barn analogy doesn't really apply here. I have worked with Dr. Wecht and know he has done newer things related to JFK case than most are aware of. I'm convinced these are trumped-up charges to both silence and punish him. He is now currently without even sufficient funds to mount his legal defense and stands to be personally and professionally destroyed. Anyone now who is perceived by the neo-fascists in power as 'anti-American' [read pro-democracy, law, constitution and what the US used to stand for] are now subject to attack and destruction. Cryil could use any and all support now - moral, financial, other.....and I hope that someone at the November conventions will 'pass the hat' for his legal defense fund, information on which can be found on the internet...contact me if you can't find it. In addition to JFK - related forensic pathology he has been involved in the following as well as other high-profile cases: Being an expert in Forensic Medicine, Dr. Wecht has frequently appeared on several nationally syndicated programs discussing various medicolegal and forensic scientific issues, including medical malpractice, drug abuse, the assassinations of both President John F. Kennedy and Senator Robert F. Kennedy, the death of Elvis Presley, the O.J. Simpson case, and the JonBenet Ramsey cases. His expertise has also been utilized in high profile cases involving Mary Jo Kopechne, Sunny von Bulow, Jean Harris, Dr. Jeffrey McDonald, the Waco Branch Davidian fire, and Vincent Foster. A comprehensive study of these cases are discussed from the perspective of Dr. Wecht's own professional involvement in his books, Cause of Death, Grave Secrets, and Who Killed JonBenet Ramsey? His political and social ethics and beliefs IMO also make him a desirable 'target' for the Huns at the wheel of the ship of State now.

I have been in contact with Cyril within the last few days and they have seized ALL of his JFK related files and materials as well as much else. He is not screaming as they have him in a 'very difficult and delicate' situation and to the extent I understand it would also like to not detail it. He needs all of our help and concern...if it can happen to him, it can happen to any of us who are researchers or in 'opposition' to what is happening to our country. In fact, it happend to me...if in a different way and that is why I now live outside the USA...after having lost everything on 'seemingly unrelated' [to my research] legal attacks. That is how it is so often done. I sense from Cyril very deep concern about his future in all regards. I think the statement above is incorrect, that he would be 'screaming' if JFK [or other high-profile case or political view] related. The most he could say on this is that they 'are not directly related, but also not totally unrelated' [i am paraphrasing].....these are very difficult times for him and for all of us...who is next?

Pete: For your information and background research: Dr. Cyril has just had all his past research notes and papers on many cases confiscated... IRS is knocking at his door as we read... Sound familiar? One very important case, among many, which he worked on a few years back was the Col James Sabow case, which is now being re investigated as a murder case. The findings of that case, as well as others, has now left in a little white van with government plates going east toward the sunrise from Pittsburgh.

While we think Dr Cyril's problems are perhaps related to JFK, I think different. I think there is more to this than JFK. We do not know which records they really wanted... they took them all. Now as of yesterday I became aware that I too am in process of being investigating concerning a possible FBI- FAG charge filed on me because of the OC article, as well as others, of last week. (False Accusations on Government) , a charge that has not been used in over thirty years (not sience Civil Rights Movement) Basicly I am to shut the F up. Well you and others now have this information before the fact and now we will see what the rest of the story has to say about these matters. I assure you of one thing I will not do a G. Webb or a Vicent Forster checkout. They will have to blow my ass away in public. Later T

I hear 'ya' Tosh! It could well be other cases than JFK...but I'm sure that one and many others are the 'bees' in 'their' bonnet....though perhaps not the straw that broke the camel's back. Sorry to hear about any new pressures on you...you take care!

Yes Tosh, do be careful!! I agree with Peter, that this is an effort to silence Cyril Wecht. When Larry Teeter, Sirhan's attorney died last summer all of his files and records disappeared as well. We are living in extremely scary times. The murderous thugs have gotten away with so many murders that we KNOW about and they just have to silence the highly visible and vocal like Cyril and in a few more years they will be home free.

The injustice being visited upon Cyril Wecht right now is to silence him and be a message to others, in particular the few brave journalists like Jeff Morley and David Talbot ,imho.

Dawn

How many here attended the Nov 2003 Duqesnse JFK 40th anniversary conference hosted by Cyril Wecht? It was quite a good conference, had over 1200 attendees, and included "big names" on both sides. I believe the investigations into Wecht's office which culminated in the indictment began only a matter of months afterward, though I don't know the exact dates. The timing seems curious, particularly since Arlen Specter and others (Michael Baden, for instance) on the no-conspiracy side were made to look like fools. Alren Specter himself at one point said "I feel like I'm on trial here." It seems like the shoe has been moved to the other foot......

The conference was recorded onto DVD discs for those who are interested:

http://www.intoevidence.net/

Rex

Arlen Specter himself at one point said "I feel like I'm on trial here." It seems like the shoe has been moved to the other foot......

I would have flown up there to just hear him say that.

But seriously, to some degree any credible JFK Researcher or investigative journalist should be very concerned abour Dr. Wecht's situation, in the sense that trumping up charges and seizing documents or evidence which could help prove the JFK assassination was a conspiracy and, in the process send an innocent man to jail is, what happens in a totalitarian, or better yet Fascist state, and certainly not the America I once knew. Which get's back to the whole idea of a cabal or, invisible government from 11/22/63 all the way thru 9/11, which is "somewhere along the way, our government began to operate under the premise, that the Ends justifies the Means, which, is a hallmark of totalitarian thought to begin with."

I hope like hell he is cleared, and that there is no evidence of impropriety regarding Dr. Wecht, the judge sounds like he is from the same pit that Richard Case Nagell once fell into [see: Homer Thornberry]. I saw Cyril on CNN a few day's ago regarding a high profile criminal case, he is, in my opinion, Mucho Macho, for taking a stand on the JFK forensic evidence, while all the other lackey's nodded and winked.

Life as a buff sounds really cool. If the "evil Gum'mint" charges you with any kind of legitimate wrongdoing, you can just point to your Kennedy assassination hobby as an excuse. Because, hey, you're important ... and therefore must be silenced. LOL.

How many here attended the Nov 2003 Duqesnse JFK 40th anniversary conference hosted by Cyril Wecht? It was quite a good conference, had over 1200 attendees, and included "big names" on both sides. I believe the investigations into Wecht's office which culminated in the indictment began only a matter of months afterward, though I don't know the exact dates. The timing seems curious, particularly since Arlen Specter and others (Michael Baden, for instance) on the no-conspiracy side were made to look like fools. Alren Specter himself at one point said "I feel like I'm on trial here." It seems like the shoe has been moved to the other foot......

The conference was recorded onto DVD discs for those who are interested:

http://www.intoevidence.net/

Rex

I think Rex is onto something here. I did not get to attend this confernece but talked to people who did and

it was apparently worth the price of admission just to see Arlin make a fool of himself. Arlin's got a LOT of power and I think that the size of the conference and the level of sophistacation on the part of the attendees took him aback. So long as Wecht just restriced his tv appearances to high profile murder cases and kept his JFK stuff to COPA conferences they left him alone, but for he and son Ben to organize their own conference put him in a new light. Also under this administration these matters are to be more than swept under the rug. W is doing Poppa's clean up.

Dawn

Thanx for the link Rex.

Life as a buff sounds really cool. If the "evil Gum'mint" charges you with any kind of legitimate wrongdoing, you can just point to your Kennedy assassination hobby as an excuse. Because, hey, you're important ... and therefore must be silenced. LOL.

Someone needs to silence this creep. He is just so full of himself and has not a clue on this case.

Dawn