The Education Forum

Dark complected man

Would you say that this man is 5'11", 158 lbs, has brown hair, wears dark glasses, and has a dark complexion?

Maybe.

The physical description provided above is not that of the Dark Complected Man, but of Manuel Rodriguez Orcarberro.

See 5/26/64 FBI Report of SA Wallace Heitman, page 5

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=223

Steve Thomas

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not generally one for seeing people in the patterns of light and dark in the bushes (not that I disparage such searches), but I've always been amazed this photo doesn't get more attention. Is it just me, or is it pretty apparent that the dark-complected man is speaking into a walkie-talkie of some sort. The bulge in his hands is pretty blurry, but you can see the grey strip of the antenna against the suit of the person behind him.

The picture is from Ron Ecker's "The Umbrella Man" page: http://www.hobrad.com/acreumbr.htm

Rex

dcmanradio.jpg

Rex,

The strip that looks like an antenna could possibly be an artifact in the photo. I say that because there is a similar strip visible halfway down the man's back. And there is another one under the left shoulder of the motorcycle cop.

But then that strip right where an antenna would be sure is coincidental, isn't it? I hate coincidences.

Ron

Only 4 hits for 'Orcarberro' at NARA. Wonder what Goss was telling 'Blakey' [sic].

ORIGINATOR : USSS

TO : BLAKEY, G. ROBERT

TITLE : [No Title]

DATE : 05/17/1978

PAGES : 1

DOCUMENT TYPE : LETTER

SUBJECTS : RODRIGUEZ-ORCARBERRO, MANUEL

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : REFERRED

CURRENT STATUS : POSTPONED IN FULL

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 07/26/1993

COMMENTS : USSS 155-1. Box 155.

I don't seem to be able to find a photo for Orcarberro.

Rex,

The strip that looks like an antenna could possibly be an artifact in the photo. I say that because there is a similar strip visible halfway down the man's back. And there is another one under the left shoulder of the motorcycle cop.

But then that strip right where an antenna would be sure is coincidental, isn't it? I hate coincidences.

Ron

Well, I guess everybody has different eyes! I don't see similar strips in the other places you mention - in fact the one I'm talking about is about "halfway down the man's back" so maybe the one I'm trying to point out is the "other one" you're seeing.

And the strip I do see is "perfectly" located relative to the blob in the Dark-Complected-Man hand. Further, the strip doesn't go through the DCM's head (which an antenna wouldn't being behind his head), but shows up perfectly emerging from his head across the other person's back.

Okay, I guess I must be Black Dog Guy after all. But for whatever reason this one looks obvious to me, unlike all the other guys-in-the-bushes I've been exposed to.

Rex

Rex,

Ron

Well, I guess everybody has different eyes! I don't see similar strips in the other places you mention - in fact the one I'm talking about is about "halfway down the man's back" so maybe the one I'm trying to point out is the "other one" you're seeing.

And the strip I do see is "perfectly" located relative to the blob in the Dark-Complected-Man hand. Further, the strip doesn't go through the DCM's head (which an antenna wouldn't being behind his head), but shows up perfectly emerging from his head across the other person's back.

Okay, I guess I must be Black Dog Guy after all. But for whatever reason this one looks obvious to me, unlike all the other guys-in-the-bushes I've been exposed to.

Rex

Is there a clearer picture that does show the DCMs right hand where it is supposed to be

while holding the walkie talkie ? I mean one that is conclusive in regard of the hand ?

Here is my take on the antenna and his right arm.

Thanks to Gary Mack for the following:

The original Towner slides and movie film are at The Sixth Floor Museum, although she still owns them. Several years ago I did a very high-res scan of DCM and the "antenna" is, in fact, part of the picture - it is not an artifact. I can see the grain of the film and the silver highlight is not a scratch or any other defect.

To me, it looks like DCM might be bringing a transistor radio up to his ear. I suspect that if there were any pictures of him before the motorcade arrived, they would show he was listening to the live KRLD coverage of the motorcade on Main Street.

Gary Mack

Would you say that this man is 5'11", 158 lbs, has brown hair, wears dark glasses, and has a dark complexion?

Maybe.

The physical description provided above is not that of the Dark Complected Man, but of Manuel Rodriguez Orcarberro.

Steve Thomas

OK, so I clicked on the link, Steve, and read the report and now I'm wondering which (earlier) report said that Rodriguez was "violently anti-Kennedy". Steve? James? Larry? ??

--Thomas :lol:

Maybe.

Steve Thomas

:lol:

OK, so I clicked on the link, Steve, and read the report and now I'm wondering (just out of curiousity) which (earlier) report said that Rodriguez was "violently anti-Kennedy".

--Thomas

P.S. In answer to your question(s), I would have to say "yes" because DCM is, by definition, "dark-complected." He also obviously has dark hair (brown?) and is "lanky" (around 5' 11"; 158lbs?) Regarding the "dark" glasses, I think they can be seen in at least one of the other photos taken of him at that time.

(But what about Felipe Vidal Santiago? Isn't it equally plausible that he was DCM?)

--Thomas

P.S. Thank God the woman wearing a dark coat was passing behind DCM when the photo was taken, making the antenna clearly visible.

Edited by Thomas Graves

Maybe.

Steve Thomas

:lol:

OK, so I clicked on the link, Steve, and read the report and now I'm wondering (just out of curiousity) which (earlier) report said that Rodriguez was "violently anti-Kennedy".

--Thomas

P.S. In answer to your question(s), I would have to say "yes" because DCM is, by deffinition, "dark-complected." He also obviously has dark hair (brown?) and is "lanky." Regarding the "dark" glasses, I think they can be seen in at least one of the other photos taken of him by the same photographer.

(But what about Bernardo de Torres? Isn't it equally plausible that he was DCM?)

--Thomas

In the color Rickerby, the Cuban has switched the radio to his

left ear.

Jack

I missed the ORCARBERRO photo posted by James earlier. If that is him - doesn't seem to be much of a match for DCM.

Hi Lee,

I'd just like to reiterate that I am not 100% sure the photo is of Orcarberro. I tried to contact his daughter some time back for confirmation but she never replied.

James

Edited by James Richards

Was the Cuban packing a sidearm? Look at the shape of the bulge.

Jack

That is, without a doubt, the best view of DCM I've seen to-date. Thank you.

I'm not sure it is a sidearm, but it could answer (quite easily) the question I had which was: "if he's using a radio in the other photographs, where did it go?" Walkie-Talkies from that era were substantially larger than today's, and were not as easy to conceal. If one was pocketed or belt-clipped under the jacket, it could very easily look like this.

No question, though, there is something under that jacket (other than the DCM himself)!