The Education Forum

Hat Badge Man @ Love Field

Ed LeDoux

Is this the same uniform cap as seen in DP?

post-5641-1172065951_thumb.jpg

What branch or service would he be with?

Eastern Airlines..lol

Note the similar uniform on another to the far right.

Note the green epaulets on his shoulders.

post-5641-1172066562_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ed LeDoux

Eastern Airlines..lol

IMO he's performing, or pretending to perform, security. Opinion based on the fact that his body is oriented away from Jackie and the Prez, as if to be able to scan the crowd and screen her and the Prez from any potential threat, and also on the fact that he's the only person in the photo with his body turned away from Jackie and JFK like that....

--Thomas B)

Edited by Thomas Graves

Since this matches NO U.S. military uniform but has seargent stripes on the arm, I would guess it to be Dallas law enforcement or an invasion by a foreign army.

Actually as I study this, it appears to be the formal dress uniform of the Northwest Ubakistanian

Not Very Secret Police. I had long suspected that they had a role in this dastardly deed !

CharlieBlack

Edited by Charles Black

I cannot offer anything re the uniform but that facial expression has a very unpleasant quality to it, to illustrate my point take the face & superimpose Nazi SS Regalia..........and you probably get the general idea......Ustashi=Yugoslav fascist militia.....

Edited by Robert Howard

• 2 months later...

The more I look at this image, the more compelling it seems that it is very possible, this individual is not a member of any of the groups documented in the WC, HSCA investigations, as being among the ranks of those responsible for Presidential security; if he is supposed to be a Dallas Policeman, or any other group for that matter, he definitely gives the appearance of being of European descent......an admitted speculative observation.

Does anyone know, off hand what Warren Commission documents, if any provide a list of the Presidential Security personnel at Love Field....The fact that there is another individual in Dealey Plaza, with a seemingly identical badge on his hat [affiliation of law enforcement agency re said badge, has so far remained undetermined, i.e. the policeman with, what appears to be a nurse], walking away from the scene of the assassination, while most, if not all the other Dallas Policemen are running toward the Plaza or the knoll, only adds to my strong feeling that this has been an overlooked area.

Also, I am not familiar with any book on the JFK Assassination that addresses this topic, if anyone is familiar with such an account I would appreciate their citing the reference......Thanks

The more I look at this image, the more compelling it seems that it is very possible, this individual is not a member of any of the groups documented in the WC, HSCA investigations, as being among the ranks of those responsible for Presidential security; if he is supposed to be a Dallas Policeman, or any other group for that matter, he definitely gives the appearance of being of European descent......an admitted speculative observation.

Does anyone know, off hand what Warren Commission documents, if any provide a list of the Presidential Security personnel at Love Field....The fact that there is another individual in Dealey Plaza, with a seemingly identical badge on his hat [affiliation of law enforcement agency re said badge, has so far remained undetermined, i.e. the policeman with, what appears to be a nurse], walking away from the scene of the assassination, while most, if not all the other Dallas Policemen are running toward the Plaza or the knoll, only adds to my strong feeling that this has been an overlooked area. ....

Wow. For as many times as I've been to Dallas, I don't think I've ever noticed anyone of European descent! This is a potentially momentous discovery! I had thought that DPD had specific guidelines against hiring those of European descent. They can usually be detected by their last names, such as Curry (Irish), Fritz (German), Bentley (English), etc. Have you considered looking into old Police Academy yearbooks to see if any of the other supposed graduates looked European too?

Why would you suspect that this person is anything other than a DPD traffic officer? At 72 dpi web resolution, there isn't the detail to zoom in on the badge to determine whether or not it was identical or similar to, or even completely different from a DPD shield. That he is standing among several other uniformed personnel behind and to the left of him - and not drawing their apparent attention as if he was out of place - suggests that his being DPD is a strong possibility.

That he was not looking at Jackie or JFK (obscured by Jackie in this photo) during the 1/250th of a second the camera's shutter was open doesn't rank particularly high on my suspicion meter, especially when you consider that there were others in the area, in uniform and out, that were looking elsewhere and even walking away. Why should any of them be beyond suspicion? Or be "suspicious?"

The white band around the hat at Love is a little wider than the orange-tinted band on the hat at Dealey. Beyond that, any speculation on my part would be a waste of bandwidth.

Duke,

Regarding your post #7--

Touche! LOL :huh:

--Thomas

P.S. Maybe Robert meant to say Eastern European, or, Heaven forbid, Northern European....

Edited by Thomas Graves

Eastern Airlines..lol

IMO he's performing, or pretending to perform, security. Opinion based on the fact that his body is oriented away from Jackie and the Prez, as if to be able to scan the crowd and screen her and the Prez from any potential threat, and also on the fact that he's the only person in the photo with his body turned away from Jackie and JFK like that....

--Thomas :huh:

Bumpski

... Note the green epaulets on his shoulders.

--Thomas :huh:

Well, now that we know that, to paraphrase the immortal words of Jesse Curry, the case is cinched: the man is a traffic cop, as determined not alone by the white cap, but moreover by the epaulet color: green is - and was - Traffic.

Since he's also a sergeant, a perusal of the Sawyer exhibits should indicate who he may have been, depending upon how many traffic sergeants were assigned to Love Field.

His being a sergeant - and therefore possibly in a leadership position, such as squad commander - may also be an explanation for the difference in color of the band across the front of the cap versus that of the cap in DP. (Of course, shadows and reflection can also account for it.)

As a last-ditch measure, I can email a copy of the blow-up to a former DPD officer who was also a uniformed sergeant in 1963, albeit not in Traffic. Still, he seems to not only know every cop on the force at the time, but also everything about most of them, and especially what they were doing that particular Friday afternoon.

The man in the "similar" uniform to the right could be a Navy or Coast Guard officer, too: it's hard to tell without being able to see more of the uniform, but they are the only federal services that also wear blue uniforms with white caps. The particular shades of blue - as is true also with the USAF - have changed over the years, and I've got no idea how they may have differed from DPD blue, which may also have changed.

... Note the green epaulets on his shoulders.

--Thomas :)

Well, now that we know that, to paraphrase the immortal words of Jesse Curry, the case is cinched: the man is a traffic cop, as determined not alone by the white cap, but moreover by the epaulet color: green is - and was - Traffic.

Since he's also a sergeant, a perusal of the Sawyer exhibits should indicate who he may have been, depending upon how many traffic sergeants were assigned to Love Field.

His being a sergeant - and therefore possibly in a leadership position, such as squad commander - may also be an explanation for the difference in color of the band across the front of the cap versus that of the cap in DP. (Of course, shadows and reflection can also account for it.)

As a last-ditch measure, I can email a copy of the blow-up to a former DPD officer who was also a uniformed sergeant in 1963, albeit not in Traffic. Still, he seems to not only know every cop on the force at the time, but also everything about most of them, and especially what they were doing that particular Friday afternoon.

The man in the "similar" uniform to the right could be a Navy or Coast Guard officer, too: it's hard to tell without being able to see more of the uniform, but they are the only federal services that also wear blue uniforms with white caps. The particular shades of blue - as is true also with the USAF - have changed over the years, and I've got no idea how they may have differed from DPD blue, which may also have changed.

Dear folks,

Just to show you how intellectually-honest and technologically-challenged I truly am, I would like to point out that I never said anything about the "green epaulets" that the dude in question has on his right shoulder. I wish I had noticed it, but in all truth credit must be given to Mr. Ed LeDoux for this excellent observation....

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

Dear folks,

Just to show you how intellectually-honest and technologically-challenged I truly am, I would like to point out that I never said anything about the "green epaulets" that the dude in question has on his right shoulder. I wish I had noticed it, but in all truth credit must be given to Mr. Ed LeDoux for this excellent observation....

--Thomas

Mea culpa! It just looked like you had, with the observation noted between the horizontal lines you like to use, and above the "--Thomas :) " that seemed to sign it. My apologies to Ed and you!

Look for the hats.

Quite a few of them. Robin, do any of them seem to be of European descent? We may be onto something here.

Omigosh, I just realized: Kennedy (Irish); Bouvier (French) ...! Was this a suicide?!? :ice

(Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

Ed,

It was my understanding that the white caps belonged to officers in the Traffic Division.

The difference I see in the picture below is the color of the bill - white vs black.

Perhaps the black bill was used by sergeants and above, or maybe had something to do with Love Field security.

Steve Thomas

post-669-1179766276_thumb.jpg