The Education Forum

Moderators - please teach how to ignore

Dear Moderators,

I think it would be very helpful to add a thread title to the opening page that contains instructions for members on how to use the ignore function.

You could place it at the top alongside How to Donate to the Site, and Membership Behavior, etc. Put it up there and then lock it down.

Michael Clark provided instructions, but I'm afraid those will get lost in time as newer posts come online.

That way, you leave it up to the individual user to decide who he or she wants to interact with.

Steve Thomas

Very good idea Steve.

47 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Dear Moderators,

I think it would be very helpful to add a thread title to the opening page that contains instructions for members on how to use the ignore function.

You could place it at the top alongside How to Donate to the Site, and Membership Behavior, etc. Put it up there and then lock it down.

Michael Clark provided instructions, but I'm afraid those will get lost in time as newer posts come online.

That way, you leave it up to the individual user to decide who he or she wants to interact with.

Steve Thomas

Steve,

Couldn't agree more, seeing as how there are a couple of members whose future responses to my posts, or "snide" references to me in other posts, might tempt me to become "uncivil," once again.

Thanks,

--  TG  :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

10 minutes ago, Eddy Bainbridge said:

Just implemented the ignore feature, its brilliant!!. Threads can be unsplurged at the click of the ignore. Highly recommended.

Eddy,

Thanks for the feedback!

Will do it today!

Edited by Thomas Graves

On other forums I've found that "Ignore" works better in theory than in reality.  You end up seeing the Ignored poster's posts when someone you don't Ignore quotes them, and if you have more than one person on Ignore the threads often become almost unintelligible because of all the gaps.  I gave up on Ignore for those reasons, but maybe you'll have better luck here.

13 hours ago, Lance Payette said:

On other forums I've found that "Ignore" works better in theory than in reality.  You end up seeing the Ignored poster's posts when someone you don't Ignore quotes them, and if you have more than one person on Ignore the threads often become almost unintelligible because of all the gaps.  I gave up on Ignore for those reasons, but maybe you'll have better luck here.

Hi Lance, I don't agree. If an ignored miscreant actualy makes a valid contribution then their views may filter into the debate as described. That's why the personal decision to ignore is not the sledgehammer solution that banning is.

2 hours ago, Eddy Bainbridge said:

Hi Lance, I don't agree. If an ignored miscreant actualy makes a valid contribution then their views may filter into the debate as described. That's why the personal decision to ignore is not the sledgehammer solution that banning is.

Eddy,

Do you know of any "miscreants" on this forum?

If so, who?

I highly recommend the IGNORE feature of this Forum.   I myself have *several* posters set to IGNORE, and I enjoy the Forum so much more.

I also agree with Eddy here.   If by some accident, 1% of their posts turns out to be interesting, somebody else will quote it, and then I have the option to decide for myself.

It is indeed a Blockbuster feature.   Highly recommended.

All best,
--Paul

16 hours ago, Lance Payette said:

On other forums I've found that "Ignore" works better in theory than in reality.  You end up seeing the Ignored poster's posts when someone you don't Ignore quotes them,

Lance,

You also have to be logged in for the Ignore function to work.

Steve Thomas