The Education Forum

Lee Bowers Accident

I've tried to discuss this subject on another thread or two on another forum several years ago and been attacked by multiple posters regarding Lee Bowers death in an accident maybe not being an accident.

The thought has been addressed by Dave Perry and John Mc Adams as well as others.  On the 50th anniversary a 100 page book was published by a former Dallas Police investigator and SWAT Team sniper.  She was so successful she's now working on the third book in a fiction trilogy.  

https://www.amazon.com/JFK-Assassination-Eyewitness-Conspiracy-Bowers/dp/1480803359/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1522201325&sr=1-2&keywords=rush+to+conspiracy&dpID=41y0Eh5eJTL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Of the 9 reviews the only one with any meat on it is the last by author and former co director of the JFK Assassination Center in Dallas Gary Shaw.  "Don't waste your time or money on this"... ""Johnny come lately" attempt at investigating this 45 plus year old accident is "no accident"".

Edited by Ron Bulman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with Gary Shaw's insights on this one.  Bowers was one of a handful who tried to get official's interested in certain anomalies he thought were suspicious but quickly realized they really didn't want to hear it.  He said just enough to make it clear that he had suspicions, a dangerous thing to do in the event that for some reason a real investigation were to occur later.

I've looked in the books I have from Mr. Simkin's list in this old thread for confirmation of what I remember reading in the past and not found a lot of depth to support them (Destiny Betrayed, On The Trail of the Assassins, High Treason, Crossfire and Contract on America.

I did find some in Hit List by Belzer and Wayne.

From memory.  Bowers was run off Highway 67 heading from Midlothian to Cleburne a couple of miles West of town by a black car.  He hit a "concrete bridge embankment" about two miles West of town.  Most likely a concrete culvert enclosure as there are no rivers or lakes in the area.  Witnessed by famer on a tractor who didn't see the actual accident but saw the two cars with the black one behind, then looked again and saw Bowers  car wrecked and the black car proceeding on down the two lane (at the time) highway.  In addition a car in front of Bowers noticed him in his rear view mirror, then noticed he was gone (and the black car there?).  The accident was investigated the next day (when he was quickly, conveniently cremated - not that common in Texas at the time) by his friend, Texas Department of Public Safety Officer Charles Good.  I.E. a State Trooper, whose job it would have been to patrol the highways and investigate accidents.  I've not yet found backup for this but remember reading he went to the impound facility or wrecking yard where Bowers car was towed and observed paint from another vehicle on the side of it and a dent where it appeared to have been hit.

He died about three hours later in a Dallas hospital after being transported from Midlothian.  The ambulance driver or attendant who picked him up, or, a doctor from Midlothian who rode along from there to Dallas noted he was in a strange state of shock, something unusual about it for the circumstances.  Further, he was somewhat lucid and stated he felt like he had been drugged when he stopped for coffee in Midlothian.  This all happened four months after he was interviewed by Mark lane.  His wife first denied to Penn Jones any possibility of foul play then said "they told him not to talk".

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mark+lane+lee+bowers&view=detail&mid=E34B5859B6AF55EF524BE34B5859B6AF55EF524B&FORM=VIRE

Edited by Ron Bulman

Lee Bower's single car collision death.

Suspicion justification point #1 :

Regards the black car the eye witness farmer reported as right behind Bower's car seconds before the collision ...

'"Most" normal human character drivers in a car immediately behind another that is involved in a major impact collision like Lee Bowers ( especially in broad daylight ) would not simply drive around and away from such an injurious scene. 

They would at least slow down or probably even pull over.

Suspicion justification point #2:

Cremation occurring extremely sooner than 90+% of normal time frames ( common sense/life experience guess.)

Suspicion justification points #3 thru #6:

Lee Bower's odd after injury mental state ( even considering shock ) yet with enough lucidity to reportedly state to someone involved in his emergency care he felt he was drugged at a coffee shop break not long before his accident. 

Bower's wife stating Bowers was told ( warned? ) not to talk.

Bowers going missing and incommunicado before the collision and re-emerging missing a finger...and no family or friends are told how the finger was lost or removed?

These and even more ominous points of substantially suspicious nature involving Lee Bowers, post his JFK event testimony and interview sharings, force one to consider his death as far from happenstance, from a common sense evaluation alone in the least.

Edited by Joe Bauer

I can add the anecdotal point that very reliable individuals interviewed his brother who stated that Bowers had been threatened and in the months following became extremely worried about some action against him for details he had observed but not officially elaborated on...

14 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

I can add the anecdotal point that very reliable individuals interviewed his brother who stated that Bowers had been threatened and in the months following became extremely worried about some action against him for details he had observed but not officially elaborated on...

Exactly.

My main question, if Bowers's suspicion was true, is how conspirators managed to poison him at a place where he stopped for coffee in Midlothian. Was he a regular customer where he stopped? If so, I wonder how much you would have to pay an employee there to poison him.

5 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

'"Most" normal human character drivers in a car immediately behind another that is involved in a major impact collision like Lee Bauer's ( especially in broad daylight ) would not simply drive around and away from such an injurious scene.

Freudian slip Joe?

Don't hit me. I'm just teasing you.

:)

Steve Thomas

5 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

My main question, if Bowers's suspicion was true, is how conspirators managed to poison him at a place where he stopped for coffee in Midlothian. Was he a regular customer where he stopped? If so, I wonder how much you would have to pay an employee there to poison him.

Mr. Ecker as usual you bring up a pertinent point.  One which Dave Perry addressed back in 92.  He found that Bowers often stopped for coffee, at the Lockwood Pharmacy in Dallas.  I guess he did without while in Midlothian.  Not a lot of concrete evidence to go on here.  I guess he might have also stopped at a café in his home town for a cup on occasion.  And a CIA agent could have sat down next to him at the counter and sprinkled or squirted some magic dust or a potion in his coffee when he looked away.  But that would be pure speculation.  Perry talked to Officer Good and was told when he asked that it was not an official on the clock investigation.  I guess no official investigation of the accident happened, thus no report is available.  Just a DPS Officer checking up on how his friend died. Since no one else did.  He asked Good about a missing finger and says Good said Bowers told him he had cut the tip of one with a saw.  Perry also asked relatives about this who told him of having a finger stepped on at a pool party in Dallas.  The black car running Bowers off the road comes from  Gary Mack being told of it by Good according to Perry.  Before Mack went all TSBD I guess.  It all still seems a little incredible for happenstance to my at times pessimistic thinking.

For reference, in the earliest days Gary Mack was very much conspiracy oriented and wrote several articles in the early research journals that were of a conspiracy slant....folks here would be well served to pick up copies of the those as many of the topics still showing up on this forum were being discussed at length and by people much closer to Dallas and the time...one of the first things I did was get back copies of all the Third and Fourth Decade magazines (edited by Jerry Rose) to get up to speed. Amazing what  you find in them that seems to have faded out of these dialogs today.  You can find the Third Decade online at MFF.

https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/Featured_The_Third_Decade_Journal.html

17 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Freudian slip Joe?

Don't hit me. I'm just teasing you.

:)

Steve Thomas

Ha!   I just noticed the Freudian slip up Steve.

My mental lapses are increasing with every year for sure.

I even forget where I'm driving to sometimes!

I'll pull into Wendys and only then realize I originally intended to go to Taco Bell! 

And figuring out my  "4 For 4"  choices in the drive through there is getting more challenging as well.

Getting back to Lee "Bowers" ... I always considered this part of his WC testimony very intriguing.

Bowers described the younger man near the picket fence by his clothing.  Which matched so closely the clothing description Julia Ann Mercer gave in her same day interrogation ( 11,22,1963 ) regarding the younger man she saw taking a gun carrying case from the back of the stalled green pickup and taking this up the grassy knoll towards the area Lee Bowers later saw two men just before JFK passed on Elm.

Plaid or checkered shirt?

And whatever Mercer's young man took out of the back of the stalled pick up truck was quite elongated and in a carrying case or bag. And what possible reason would this truck passenger have for any tool or truck item on the higher ground of the Knoll?

Edited by Joe Bauer

1 hour ago, Larry Hancock said:

folks here would be well served to pick up copies of the those as many of the topics still showing up on this forum were being discussed at length and by people much closer to Dallas and the time...one of the first things I did was get back copies of all the Third and Fourth Decade magazines (edited by Jerry Rose) to get up to speed. Amazing what  you find in them that seems to have faded out of these dialogs today.  You can find the Third Decade online at MFF.

https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/Featured_The_Third_Decade_Journal.html

Larry,

There was some awfully good research going on then.

I stand in awe.

Steve Thomas

Absolutely right Steve, while they were limited in documents especially compared to post ARRB and what is on MFF now, as far as some of the Dallas meterial they were much closer to it and a lot of great stuff has sort of fallen out of the online conversations going on now.  In addition to the Third and Fourth Decade journals I would also recommend the JFK Assassination Chronicles for some of the things that don't circulate these days:  http://www.jfklancer.com/Chronicles.html

22 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Absolutely right Steve, while they were limited in documents especially compared to post ARRB and what is on MFF now, as far as some of the Dallas meterial they were much closer to it and a lot of great stuff has sort of fallen out of the online conversations going on now.  In addition to the Third and Fourth Decade journals I would also recommend the JFK Assassination Chronicles for some of the things that don't circulate these days:  http://www.jfklancer.com/Chronicles.html

Just curious.

Has any of that early research been debunked or amended with little caveats at the bottom?

-- TG