The Education Forum

RFK family members on GREEN BOOK and civil rights

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

Test.  Occasionally on this site I click on a link and nothing happens.  After I quote it the link works.  No idea why or if it's just my computer, if others have encountered the same problem.  Let's see if it works here this time.

Just now, Ron Bulman said:

Test.  Occasionally on this site I click on a link and nothing happens.  After I quote it the link works.  No idea why or if it's just my computer, if others have encountered the same problem.  Let's see if it works here this time.

Yep.

Thanks for this.

The rightwing has been pretty effective in covering up what the Kennedys achieved in this field.  Which was nothing less than epochal.  When I was doing the Dave Emory show, I started talking about this aspect.  Dave is quite well informed, but he was surprised at what I was saying e.g. RFK indicted the secretary of education in Louisiana; the Kennedys created a new school district out of whole cloth when Virginia would not fund Prince Edward County schools.  I had to inform him that i was not making this stuff up.

https://kennedysandking.com/reviews/the-kennedys-and-civil-rights-how-the-msm-continues-to-distort-history-part-3

BTW, how many know that Eisenhower tried to convince Warren not to take the side of the plaintiff in the Brown v Board case?

The more I learn about the avuncular Ike, the worse he gets.  What a mess he left for JFK.

Edited by James DiEugenio

3 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Thanks for this.

The rightwing has been pretty effective in covering up what the Kennedys achieved in this field.  Which was nothing less than epochal.  When I was doing the Dave Emory show, I started talking about this aspect.  Dave is quite well informed, but he was surprised at what I was saying e.g. RFK indicted the secretary of education in Louisiana; the Kennedys created a new school district out of whole cloth when Virginia would not fund Prince Edward County schools.  I had to inform him that i was not making this stuff up.

https://kennedysandking.com/reviews/the-kennedys-and-civil-rights-how-the-msm-continues-to-distort-history-part-3

BTW, how many know that Eisenhower tried to convince Warren not to take the side of the plaintiff in the Brown v Board case?

The more I learn about the avuncular Ike, the worse he gets.  What a mess he left for JFK.

I was surprised by how badly he treated Patton and the reasons why.  Truman I expected it.  Not Ike.

This is what I mean about Ike on civil rights.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1977/03/13/warren-book-blames-ike-for-50s-strife/7e2eb1d2-fc82-4aa5-bca2-99833223e44f/?utm_term=.c2b417be874f

And this is the way his administration was in foreign policy also.  The new leaders of Africa were referred to as just coming out of the trees.  See  Philip Muehlenbeck in his book Betting on the Africans.

In Countdown to Darkness,  which I will be reviewing soon, it was Eisenhower who ordered the assassination of Lumumba.  I thought that was Allen Dulles' idea, but it appears that they were in sync on this.  But it really wasn't Dulles who was the prime mover--he was the executive in charge of carrying it out.

There was then a cover up over Ike's order.  Which was not sorted out for 15 years until the Church Committee.  

Outside the interstate highway expansion, and bringing an end to Korea, I don't see a lot to like with Ike these days.

Except of course, this:

Here is a better version:

Just now, James DiEugenio said:

See  Philip Muehlenbeck in his book Betting on the Africans.

I just finished reading this (great book) and was also impressed by the fact that JFK met with more African leaders than any other U.S. president (at least up until Bush; not sure if that still holds with Obama). And with far more respect than Ike, who usually hid on the golf course when any of them were in town. That's something that you will rarely hear in the MSM and I'll bet it's rarely taught in schools. PS: The only thing I didn't like about Betting on the Africans is that the author doesn't speak very much about the role of the CIA in Africa. If I recall correctly, Richard Mahoney's JFK: Ordeal in Africa did a better job of that, although Betting on the Africans is more comprehensive in other respects.

Edited by Rob Couteau

Muehlenbeck's book is more about the other countries than the Congo.  

Mahoney's book is overwhelmingly about Congo. 

The end of Muehlenbeck's book, where he talks about how all these African leaders backed Kennedy during the Missile Crisis by not allowing fly over rights was really something.

And then the end, where they were all heartbroken when Kennedy died.  JFK was loved in the Third World.

To put it mildly, I don't think we can say that now.

Yes, that was a really moving passage, when he describes how, one by one, the leaders backed Kennedy during the crisis, even the ones who were receiving aid from the Soviet Union. It also illustrates JFK's prescience in foreign policy. And the reaction to his death was touching and poignant. I think my favorite JFK/Africa story is the one where the Ghanaian president points to Dulles's name on the Warren Commission report and says: "Whitewash." Those two books along with Michael Le Flem's work on the Congo would make for a great university-level course on JFK and Africa. I'm glad to see that Muehlenbeck cited your work in his footnotes. 

Edited by Rob Couteau

On 2/16/2019 at 12:23 AM, Joseph McBride said:

I love this article, especially because after I saw (and loved) Green Book I read that some member or members of Dr. Shirley’s family thought the movie presented a false picture of Shirley and of his relationship with Tony Lip. Seemed like some overambitious journalist was trying to create controversy.

Rob:

If you can believe it, Muelhenbeck told me that it was my article that put him on the road to that book.

I was really surprised.  But again, if I told you all the people who got started writing long essays or books based upon Probe articles, you would not believe it.

Just now, James DiEugenio said:

it was my article that put him on the road to that book.

Wow, that's fantastic! Well, you should be proud that all your work and effort helped to inspire the creation of such an important, landmark book. And that you helped to get the message out there, because I first heard of it via your review at kennedysandking.com. I find myself focusing mostly on the JFK foreign policy books now. The next one on my list is Kennedy, Johnson, and the Nonaligned World by Robert Rakove. PS: What was behind the pre- and post-JFK policy of ignoring African leaders and just letting, for example, the French keep doing what they were doing despite the fact that there was a wealth of natural resources that could fill the coffers of greedy American corporations? Even from a rightwing, rogue capitalist point of view it doesn't seem to make any sense. Why wasn't there more of a push to challenge French hegemony in certain parts of Africa?

Edited by Rob Couteau

Well, in my opinion it was from where the Dulles brothers came from, Sullivan and Cromwell.

Also, Eisenhower was schooled by the CFR when he was president of Columbia.

Finally, Nixon was Nixon, an unregenerate slime ball who was a stooge for corporations from the moment he ran for office and the Red Scare to inspire fear and paranoia.  He was also on the take from the Shah, Battista and the Greek Junta.

So you're saying that although Dulles et al are running the country (the U.S.),  their real interests and loyalties are to the multinational corporations that they represent (via structures like Sullivan and Cromwell). And thus, all this transcends political loyalties to a particular nation (e.g., the U.S.), since ultimately the profits will flow to the multinationals anyway - companies that transcend the boundaries of the leading Western nations. An example of how this would work is sort of laid out in Greg Poulgrain's Incubus of Intervention, yes? (And from a macro level, In Devil's Chessboard.)  

Edited by Rob Couteau