The Education Forum

JFK Lancer Virtual 2020 Conference

I wanted to provide everyone a bit of information on JFK Lancer's November virtual conference.  Several of us have been working on it and pre-recording sessions for some time now.  Details on the conference format, the initial speakers list and registration are available at the following links.

The first link takes you to a current flyer on the conference while the second link is to the actual conference website, where tickets may be purchased and the conference will be be carried out.

http://jfklancer.com/Dallas2020/index.html
and
http://www.assassinationconference.com/

As for myself, I will be doing presentations on JFK and Cuba, on my new work "Tipping Point", and conducting a virtual walking tour of the Plaza as I have done in person in past years.   It's great to have several Ed Forum and DPUK members at the virtual conference in what certainly is a very  challenging year.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Larry.  I've been wondering if something like this might happen.  Will attendees be allowed to ask a question or maybe two of the presenters after their presentations?

Since its not a "live" virtual event we are unable to do that.  However the plan is to create a private Facebook group for all registered attendees.  Presenters will be "tagged" and attendees can direct questions to individual presenters and have them referred for answers.  That private group will stay active for some time after the actual conference dates and presenters would be encouraged to stay involved with the conference Facebook page.

In addition the overall conference would be available for download to registered attendees and potentially made available presentation by presentation in the months that follow. 

So the answer is yes, but not in real time. 

If this works to the general satisfaction, there is some thought to keep it ongoing and scheduling additional presentations during 2021.  Those could involve the new books that Lancer hopes to publish as well, specifically John Hunt's work on the RFK assassination and Ian Griggs work on the Dallas Police Department.

Clearly this is a challenge and there are pros and cons between the methods of doing virtual events - with this approach we are trying to make it as available long term ongoing as possible.  

I think this is a great idea. I am so pleased to be a part of it.  My presentation will be on Deconstructing Murder Most Foul... an in-depth look at Bob Dylan and the assassination of President Kennedy...

Edited by Pamela Brown

7 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

Since its not a "live" virtual event we are unable to do that.  However the plan is to create a private Facebook group for all registered attendees.  Presenters will be "tagged" and attendees can direct questions to individual presenters and have them referred for answers.  That private group will stay active for some time after the actual conference dates and presenters would be encouraged to stay involved with the conference Facebook page.

In addition the overall conference would be available for download to registered attendees and potentially made available presentation by presentation in the months that follow. 

If this works to the general satisfaction, there is some thought to keep it ongoing and scheduling additional presentations during 2021.  Those could involve the new books that Lancer hopes to publish as well, specifically John Hunt's work on the RFK assassination and Ian Griggs work on the Dallas Police Department.

Clearly this is a challenge and there are pros and cons between the methods of doing virtual events - with this approach we are trying to make it as available long term ongoing as possible.  

Larry, this format has great potential for more national and world wide attention.  Not the same as at the GK/TSBD or the comradery at the bar afterward but many more interested may attend, and ultimately participate in the search for truth.  For a reasonable price.  Without the travel time or costs or those of the hotel.  This could well be the future.  Though there is no substitute for walking around Dealy Plaza and doing the City of Dallas official Oswald did it tour of the TSBD and the GK.

A live from DP part might be a thought for next year, or discussions by 2-3 familiar with an aspect.  Maybe presentations by S.T. Patrick or Rob Clark or others would also provoke a younger generations interest.  Food for thought.  You've inspired me again.

Thank you, Debra, and many more for keeping Lancer alive.      

Thanks for the encouragement Ron!  Of course it is a new type of venue and mastering some of the technology issues was and is the first challenge (although doing AV and recording at the live conferences has never been as easy as it might appear). 

We will make the virtual walking tour as real as possible - and their are advantages to this, I've done a number of live tours which had to be abbreviated because of frigid winds or sleet.  Dallas can have some very variable weather in late November.  Hopefully this time we will be able to record it on a sunny, clear day. 

We are trialing virtual panel discussions, this  year, I just participated in one with four people and it actually worked more smoothly than many of the live panels we have had in the past - one major advantage to this is that their is no "back end" on the presentations so speakers don't get forced to cut early to meet the speaker schedule.  I suspect a number of the virtual sessions will run longer than the slots at the live conference.

I should point out that Debra is focusing her time and energies on publishing while the virtual conference is largely in the hands of Gabriella, who our speakers are working with for recording and preparations.  She is doing a huge amount of work making this happen, including all the tech work.  I remain involved searching for presenters and helping coordinate their topics - we were a bit behind on the curve for that this year and I'm always eager to hear from folks who want to present new research (the conference remains largely devoted to new research on the assassinations as well as the history of the period and of the Kennedy Administration).

Gabriella has a number of ides for taking this forward and making it more interactive and ongoing and I think we will be able to do more with virtual "tours" as well as with round-tables and panels. I can also visualize live Facebook or even Zoom sessions with particular speakers may come into play over the next year or so.  There is no reason not to think it could not continue to be a platform for both new research and analysis.

For that matter it could also expand to address related subjects like the RFK assassination.  Given John Hunt's posthumous book publication, there will actually be a lot of new things to discuss on that subject in 2021.

On 10/14/2020 at 3:00 PM, Larry Hancock said:

Great news about the books from Griggs and Hunt.

I think so as well Ron,  publishing a posthumous work is especially challenging since Deb has to get additional help and also make a lot of layout decisions the author would normally participate in along with the editing.  Both Ian and John put immense amounts of time and energy into their work and actually being able to bring them out without losing all that will be a great way to honor that effort.

John's work is especially challenging from a publishing standpoint because of the huge amount of graphics material that he developed to support it, it is the sort of thing that is simply unique.  Fortunately Stu Wexler and I would able to help a bit in organizing it and Gary Murr is doing the true yeoman's work in editing it for Debra.  It simply would not be possible without his effort.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:09 PM, Larry Hancock said:

I think so as well Ron,  publishing a posthumous work is especially challenging since Deb has to get additional help and also make a lot of layout decisions the author would normally participate in along with the editing.  Both Ian and John put immense amounts of time and energy into their work and actually being able to bring them out without losing all that will be a great way to honor that effort.

John's work is especially challenging from a publishing standpoint because of the huge amount of graphics material that he developed to support it, it is the sort of thing that is simply unique.  Fortunately Stu Wexler and I would able to help a bit in organizing it and Gary Murr is doing the true yeoman's work in editing it for Debra.  It simply would not be possible without his effort.

I remember a kind comment by Gary on some thing I said once.  It was much appreciated.  I saw Stu's name on the list of speakers, any idea what his topic might be? Or any of the others?  Some names on the list I've never read about. Not that that means much.  New perspectives could be interesting.

Stu will be speaking on the MLK assassination and the work he was involved in to actually get legislation passed which opens up access to files both on that case and other civil rights cold cases. 

We will be posting topics for all the speakers when we get closer to the date (some are still picking their topic), this year we have reached out to a number of people including several DPUK members, that you might not routinely see on this forum.  Beyond that one of the realities is that a number of the "classic" researchers either have left the field (after fifty plus years age is a real factor) for personal reasons or are tied up with their private projects.  Garry Murr is and example, he has spoken in past years but at this time is totally wrapped up in editing on John Hunt's book. More and more getting new research requires us to stretch a bit, hence new names.

I suspect the conference topics will be broader in scope this year, partially because we will have some new presenters, but also because we will have more speakers than in past years when a two day schedule (even with evening sessions) tied us down a good bit in terms of speaker slots.  I also suspect sessions will tend to go longer for some presenters since we do not have to enforce a "back end" on their time slots to conform to the overall schedule - and not short change anyone.

I'll post a link to current speakers below but that list is going to grow over the next week or so as we do confirmations and add people.  As an example yesterday we confirmed both Jeff Morley and Rex Bradford, who remain to be listed.

I’ve been getting a few questions on the JFK Lancer conference and hopefully the following will help with those.  First off it is not a “live” Zoom type session but rather the streaming of a series of pre-recorded speaker and panel sessions. The initial streaming will be over the period of November 20-22 but for the basic conference fee registered attendees will be able to log in and view (including rewatching) the content through November 30.  The advanced registration feel allows the attendee to download the full conference beginning in December.

Further details are as follows:

1. Ticket numbers will be emailed to attendees within 48 hours of ticket

purchase.

2. Starting on November 20th at 9am CST  all attendees can go to

assassinationconference.com and enter in the ticket number received through

email.

3. Once logged in, attendees will be redirected to watch the conference

videos as they air.

4. The attendee may click on the video archives tab to view any speakers

they may have missed or would like to rewatch through November 30th.

5. Those who purchased the digital downloads will receive an email on

December 5th with the link to download the presentations.

If you have more questions about the process, you can contact Gabriella or Debra directly:

Debra +1 817-371-1260

Gabbie +1 817-456-8074

Registration and a speaker list may be viewed at:

As of this date we have over 25 speakers committed, on a broad variety of topics. I haven’t checked all the prior conferences but if memory serves, that number meets or exceeds the speakers for most of them – that makes the basic viewing price (non-student) pretty attractive.

So for only $119.99 one will be able to:

View the at least 25 presentations as they come up November 20 through the 22nd.

Review any presentation through November 30th.

Participate in a users only facebook page allowing one to ask presenters questions .

In December download the entire conference for future review and reference.

Almost worth the price for Larry, Jim, Bill, John Newman, William Law, Mark Shaw and Russ Baker.  But you get Stu, David Boylan and more!  

Actually there are two pages, one is a page on the Lancer web site and is more more of an announcement, with just a speaker list:

The one  you just posted above with the photos is the Conference page:

http://www.assassinationconference.com/

It is a work in progress since Gabby has to wait on getting photos and bios from the speakers.

It seems the virtual conference is a bit like in-person conferences, there are always additions and cancellations.  However in this case at least we don't have last minute issues like a speaker missing a flight or becoming ill the day they are scheduled to travel....that's the sort of thing that used to lead to us printing and posting revised schedules each day during the live conference as people had to be moved and substitutes recruited.  I can say from experience that aged moderators quickly....and sent them to the bar early.