The Education Forum

Michael Hogan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to extend an apology to Michael Hogan, a member of this forum. On more than one occasion I said unkind things to him and about him. I was wrong!

David G. Healy

Michael, IMO, is one of the most fair-minded, thoughtful, well-read and generally intelligent members of the forum. A true independent spirit. It has surprised and saddened me on occasion to see him attacked by other good people.

I'm glad this thread provides me with an opportunity to say so, on the record.

I'd like to extend an apology to Michael Hogan, a member of this forum. On more than one occasion I said unkind things to him and about him. I was wrong!

David G. Healy

Michael, IMO, is one of the most fair-minded, thoughtful, well-read and generally intelligent members of the forum. A true independent spirit. It has surprised and saddened me on occasion to see him attacked by other good people.

Nicely and accurately said Sid.

David G. Healy

Might I also mention how highly I regard Mike Hogan, who [in my opinion] on many occasions, has been one in a handful of other like-minded individuals, to have spoken out as a voice of reason in the on-going maelstrom.

David G. Healy

Might I also mention how highly I regard Mike Hogan, who [in my opinion] on many occasions, has been one in a handful of other like-minded individuals, to have spoken out as a voice of reason in the on-going maelstrom.

Hear, Oh Hear!

I again concur with fervour. I am relatively new to the forum, but appreciated & profited from Mike's helpful posts for newbies (me) with the feeling that he was helping me personally with gentleness & kindness, although that was surely over reaching on my part.

Still, to see him mercilessly savaged & degraded recently on the forum by Miller was a sad & painful event for all forum members. It was an unmitigated act of cruelty by Miller which renders the witnessing mods to a position of clearly scarred conscience. I tried to point out this outrage of decency to the mods & John, but I found that they deleted my protest.

What, in God's name, is going on?

David G. Healy

Hear, Oh Hear!

I again concur with fervour. I am relatively new to the forum, but appreciated & profited from Mike's helpful posts for newbies (me) with the feeling that he was helping me personally with gentleness & kindness, although that was surely over reaching on my part.

Still, to see him mercilessly savaged & degraded recently on the forum by Miller was a sad & painful event for all forum members. It was an unmitigated act of cruelty by Miller which renders the witnessing mods to a position of clearly scarred conscience. I tried to point out this outrage of decency to the mods & John, but I found that they deleted my protest.

Miller is accorded a privileged status on this forum. He was among those

tossed off the DellaRosa forum for personal attacks.

"Miller" is not whom he claims to be. For a while, it appears that he posted

here under the pseudnym LARRY PETERS. When this was pointed out to

the forum, Peters disappeared and was replaced by Miller without missing

a beat.

Jack

Edited by Jack White

Still, to see him mercilessly savaged & degraded recently on the forum by Miller was a sad & painful event for all forum members.

"savaged'? "mercilessly"?

I think we are seeing a bit of escalation here that might not be all to the good. From what I saw, Hogan began the campaign with a swipe at Miller that was personal, off-topic, and entirely gratuitous. It was completely irrelevant to anything of substance in the JFK inquiry. Miller responded to this sneak attack with a solid punch in return. Have I missed anything important?

renders the witnessing mods to a position of clearly scarred conscience.

No doubt the moderators have read some of Michael Hogan's back posts on this forum, and are now at 10pm Eastern Time, or 3 a.m GMT, sleeping with clear consciences. The quality of Mr. Hogan's input is definitely improving, though it seems that Mr. Hogan has not yet shaken off his unfortunate tendency to launch gratuitous attacks on other members from time to time.

Maybe the moderators are practicing a pragmatic system of justice where what goes around, comes around.

Hear, Oh Hear!

Beats the heck outta me Miles.

I reported that thread too and was told the following:

"Threats are not in line with Forum policy nor with the respect we should have toward each other. I have not had a chance to read this entire thread, but the quote you provide does not include a direct threat in my opinion. However the reference to whatever event of "Mike's" that "Bill" referred to was probably not necessary."

Quote/unquote.

For the first time in my life I had no response.

Oh, I should add that less than helpful moderator reply took a full two days to receive.

For some reason... (?) some mods will put up with anything from some people and almost nothing from others.

This is not the first time I've opined thusly and openly.

Now that you've complained thusly and openly Miles don't be surprised if you're one of the people that is not looked upon with favor by some mods.

Edited by Myra Bronstein

Hear, Oh Hear!

"Threats are not in line with Forum policy nor with the respect we should have toward each other. I have not had a chance to read this entire thread, but the quote you provide does not include a direct threat in my opinion. However the reference to whatever event of "Mike's" that "Bill" referred to was probably not necessary."

Quote/unquote.

Oh, I should add that less than helpful moderator reply took a full two days to receive.

For some reason... (?) some mods will put up with anything from some people and almost nothing from others.

Now that you've complained thusly and openly Miles don't be surprised if you're one of the people that is not looked upon with favor by some mods.

Since the subject has turned to mods, I'll say that IMO what they should be doing is preventing members from making personal verbal attacks on other members. That's exactly what I saw Kathy Beckett doing in the thread where Bernice, for some bizarre reason, was attacked. Then Kathy was decent enough to discuss her decision in another thread on the subject of moderating. So it appears that she was criticized for doing exactly what she should be doing. The classic thankless job...

Still, to see him mercilessly savaged & degraded recently on the forum by Miller was a sad & painful event for all forum members.

I think we are seeing a bit of escalation here that might not be all to the good. From what I saw, Hogan began the campaign with a swipe at Miller that was personal, off-topic, and entirely gratuitous. It was completely irrelevant to anything of substance in the JFK inquiry. Miller responded to this sneak attack with a solid punch in return. Have I missed anything important?

Yes J. Ray. You missed the high road.

You've also accused the mods of standing down, kind of like President Kennedy's secret service, when someone you deem worthy of attack is trashed.

At this point I would defend the mods, if I felt they deserved defending.

Yes, you have missed the boat, which is relatively important. You have missed the fact that Miller was called, and courageously called by Hogan, to rights for his constant, unremitting tone of personal insult & denigration directed toward other forum members. And you have missed the fact that Miller counter attacked by accusing Hogan of an extra forum act of disgrace which Miller, by insinuation & implication, threatened to have disclosed to the forum to Hogan's infamy. To support Miller in this case is to turn a blind eye to Miller's obvious Gestapo tactics which underpin & mark Miller's general forum behavior. For example, simply take a look at Miller's most recent savaging of Miller's most recent victim, Eugene B. Connolly, a mild mannered gentleman of Mike Hogan's elk. (See the thread: "Close-up of Duncan MacRae's Knoll shooter, Close-up of Duncan MacRae's Knoll shooter") Etc., etc., etc....

renders the witnessing mods to a position of clearly scarred conscience.

No doubt the moderators have read some of Michael Hogan's back posts on this forum,

No doubt they have also seen Miller's corpus? You think?

and are now at 10pm Eastern Time, or 3 a.m GMT, sleeping with clear consciences. The quality of Mr. Hogan's input is definitely improving,

Well, now, can I take your word on this? You are the judge, of course.

though it seems that Mr. Hogan has not yet shaken off his unfortunate tendency to launch gratuitous attacks on other members from time to time.

Oh, not against you, per chance? Care to cite some instances?

Maybe the moderators are practicing a pragmatic system of justice where what goes around, comes around.

Oh yes, well said! Yes, here they come around again. Insults, slander by innuendo, intimidation by threat, embarrassment & revulsion to new comers to the forum. Oh, wonderfully good news!

Edited by Miles Scull

Guest Gary Loughran

Quote/unquote.

Hi Myra,

Part solution, you become a mod...remember there is a vacancy :rolleyes:

This way, you can have direct input into the moderation process and have the added bonus of balancing the representation with another US citizen. Furthermore this would assist in allaying the 'culturally biased' criticism when discussing culture and/or make up of moderation team.

Why hurl from the ditch when you can be more greatly involved?

I'm quite positive that your virtues of patience. pragmatism, and considered responses in tandem with your ideas for moderation process improvement - the whole forum would benefit from your moderation skills

Gary

Quote/unquote.

Hi Myra,

This way, you can have direct input into the moderation process and have the added bonus of balancing the representation with another US citizen. Furthermore this would assist in allaying the 'culturally biased' criticism when discussing culture and/or make up of moderation team.

I'm quite positive that your virtues of patience. pragmatism, and considered responses in tandem with your ideas for moderation process improvement - the whole forum would benefit from your moderation skills

Gary

Gary,

Strongly agree!

(BTW, "Why hurl from the ditch..." seems to be a most unfortunate turn of phrase. But, never mind. ;) )

Quote/unquote.

Hi Myra,

Gary

I already posted my answer Gary, calling it "the classic thankless job."

It's a difficult one in any circumstances.

It's almost impossible when there is no coordination between mods so that infractions are ignored or mods are bumping into each other to respond.

By the way, who are you quoting when you mention 'culturally biased' criticism?

The implication is that you are quoting me, but I don't believe I've used that phrase.