The Education Forum

Why did/do the Kennedys remain silent?

John Dolva

Gore Vidal, Palimpsest: A Memoir. (New York: Random House, 1995) Excerpts in italics are adapted from notes Vidal made in 1961.

Vidal on Joe Kennedy:

"I thought even then that, excepting [Jack], the whole family was pretty deplorable, while the father belonged in jail, along with his close friend Frank Costello. In fact once a week, until Joe's stroke, the boss of the mob and the president's father had dinner together in the Central Park South Kennedy apartment. An ancient Teamster would give each a massage first, and sometimes he would stay to dinner; once, he reported their conversation to the producer Ray Stark, who told me (but now denies the story). Of course, Joe made no secret of his underworld connections, unavoidable for a man who had cornered the Scotch whiskey market." (348)

It highly unlikely that the father of a major party presidential candidate and later POTUS would meet with a major mafia boss on a weekly basis without anyone but Vidal knowing about it.

So I guess he said nothing about growing up with Jackie let alone sharing cloths with her?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gore Vidal, Palimpsest: A Memoir. (New York: Random House, 1995) Excerpts in italics are adapted from notes Vidal made in 1961.

Vidal on Joe Kennedy:

"I thought even then that, excepting [Jack], the whole family was pretty deplorable, while the father belonged in jail, along with his close friend Frank Costello. In fact once a week, until Joe's stroke, the boss of the mob and the president's father had dinner together in the Central Park South Kennedy apartment. An ancient Teamster would give each a massage first, and sometimes he would stay to dinner; once, he reported their conversation to the producer Ray Stark, who told me (but now denies the story). Of course, Joe made no secret of his underworld connections, unavoidable for a man who had cornered the Scotch whiskey market." (348)

It highly unlikely that the father of a major party presidential candidate and later POTUS would meet with a major mafia boss on a weekly basis without anyone but Vidal knowing about it.

So I guess he said nothing about growing up with Jackie let alone sharing cloths with her?

Apparently everybody knew about it except Len Colby.

BK

Why does he say "his close friend Frank Costello" like it's some kind of bad thing?

Seriously, though, I was hoping California would legalize pot for the sole purpose of precipitating a state vs. Federal government showdown and hopefully moving the lost concept of Federalim forward.

I don't think that legalizing pot is a good thing, but I strongly believe that it should be the right of the California General Assembly and Governor to make that determination.

I was quite surprised to learn that it failed.

I think that our Federal government should end the war on drugs and let the states decide what to do in their jurisdictions.

Does anyone really think that the DEA's efforts affect anything relating to illegal drugs other than their price?

I would like to close this agency down, along with the BATF and the Department of Education, and deploy these ninjas to our southern and northern borders.

Guest Tom Scully

Christopher, when I put your opinions to a test of who would win and who would lose if "federalism" were let off the leash, and the Dept. of Education was abolished, and the equivalent of the already failed, physical walls on our southern border were to be supplanted by "beefing up" the human patrol component, it clearly seems the 75 percent of the population who are the "have nots" would lose from the effects of the changes.

The wealthiest and most powerful would further concentrate their holdings in both categories. We live in an era where we are moving backwards; a creation museum has sprouted up in Kentucky, a $27 million initial investment in 2007, and attendance is beating projections. There is a push in the states most interested in moving towards federalism to the teaching in public schools of intelligent design, by default, a move away from science rooted

evolution theory and studies. Sixty percent are either devote believers in an imminent fulfillment of the predictions in revelation, or are friendly to the idea, and north of forty percent believe in a literal interpretation of all passages in the bible, except for the passages that obviously are not to be taken literally. "God created the earth and the universe in six days" is in the category of what is to be taken literally, and more than forty percent believe the earth is less than 6,000 years old, as well as the human race. More than half now consider evolution science not to be a break through. More than half agree with prohibiting equal rights and benefits for same sex partners, and to state issued marriage licenses for same, as if gender is somehow the business, or even in the interest of the state.

Have you experienced residence in a red state ranking eternally in the bottom three in scholastic performance, highest in per capita personal bankruptcy filings and mortgage foreclosures, second most religious, and closest to a right wing one party, elected representation as is possible? A state politicized with howls for more autonomy even as its economy vitally depends on the economic benefits of numerous military

bases and defense plants, and compared to New York or Massachusetts, receives 60 cents above returned to the state vs. every dollar paid in federal taxes....$1.30 vs. about 70 cents returned to New York?

How much more "federalism" do you think we can possibly survive, when the governor of Texas openly embraces seceding from the union, and in the poorest state, Mississippi, religious zealots have succeeded in making it impossible for rural and other poor woman to have access to female related healthcare and contraceptives. For several years, it has been impossible to obtain an abortion, still a legal procedure, in that state.

In the fiscal year that began 50 days ago, the Department of Defense is budgeted to spend $720 billion, not counting the costs of the bulk of war operations expenses, and the public admission of intelligence spending is $80 billion plus, which is close to amount of total defense spending or our closest two rivals, $88 billion by the Russians and $83 billion by the Chinese.

The budget of the Dept. of Education, about $70 billion, is in a slow to no growth mode is less than 2 percent of total annual federal spending.

The primary functions of the Department of Education are to formulate and administer federal funding programs involving education, such as college financial aid, collect data on US schools, and to enforce federal educational laws regarding privacy and civil rights.[3][4]

The Department's mission is: to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.[5]

You give the impression you pine for federalism, in vogue in an era of citizen militia, of slavery, and finally of 100 years of racial segregation, the enforced law on the books in the former Confederate states, before the recent emergence of a stronger, more assertive federal government. Did you know that public schools in much of the state of Georgia were still segregated, per the law, in May, 1969?

Are you aware that in Connecticut, county government was abolished 75 years ago and the remaining political structure and the residents were none the worse for it?

Is it any accident that the most deficient states in scholastic performance and the ability to prosper without net federal subsidy vs. total federal taxes withdrawn from those states, are the places where a large minority share your political views?

What can you point to in American history that helps persuade that a new turn toward federalism would benefit the majority and not bring effects of even greater burdens on the poorest, least powerful, and poorest academic performers? In these environs, only lower income caucasians and the majority of minorities attend public schools. Those who can afford the tuition attend religion operated private schools.

It is nearly 2011 and the history of conditions when states had even more autonomy is horrid, if you were not

made in the image of the authors of the Constitution, land owners of means. We overcame the anchors of their legal slavery, legal segregation, voting restricted to landowning freeman, then to all free men, then to all men, and finally to all men and women. Given that we have bipartisan support for an aggressive foreign policy and now a permanent state of war with contrived war president powers, why is equal consideration to the concept of abolition of state government any less reasonable than your politics? We have yet to try a "no states" concept, but federalism had its day and there were ugly times, for most.

Edited by Tom Scully

Vidal on Joe Kennedy:

Apparently everybody knew about it except Len Colby.

BK

What did I piss in your coffee of something Bill? Cite me a reliable source (preferably contemporary) saying that Kennedy and Costello met on a regular basis. The idea that this could have gone on without JFK's opponents finding out or saying something staggers the imagination. Such a disclosure would have torpedoed his chances in 1960.

Edited by Len Colby

The circumstances of Vidal's anecdote apparently postdate the alleged Joseph P. Kennedy "apology" to Frank Costello for Prohibition-era misdeeds that had estranged the two, a rapprochement purportedly made so that JFK could secure Chicago's (Giancana's) aid in getting the Illinois and (through mineworkers' union connections) West Virginia vote. By the time of the Kennedy-Costello detente, Costello had long retired to "elder statesman" status, in the aftermath of a near-miss assassination attempt in 1957, shortly after Costello was released from prison.

I'm surprised that no one discussed the long Vidal excerpt on Kennedy's military build-up and inclination to crisis. I'll put in some perspective on that, FWIW, by midweek.

The Vidal memoir Palimpsest contains much informative and provocative material for researchers of the FDR-JFK decades.

Edited by David Andrews

• 4 months later...

Dear Mr. Scully

---

I RECIEVED BELOW an EMAIL. from an EIR fan, re this topic.(EMAIL has been slightly edited)

FROM an old EIR on "trucking deregulation and the role played by Senator Ted Kennedy. The authors rightly pointed out that deregulation would lead to a return of organized crime, running illegal contraband including "drugs" into the economy.

http://www.larouchepub.com/eiw/public/1979/eirv06n25-19790626/eirv06n25-19790626_016-deregulation_the_road_to_transpo.pdf

Brady Schofield was close to the Kennedy clan. That Brady was supposed to have flown John Jr. from NYC to Marthas Vineyard the night his plane crashed.

Brady Schofield given indictment in Y2003 by the SEC for his role in insider trading, with food company US Foodservice ( itself a creation of Dope Inc.).

The argument is that that the Schofield family was "blue collar" family and no way they could be connected to the Irish Brahmin Kennedy clan. However, from reading the EIR article the Schofields "Bay State Moving System" company could have been exactly the kind of organized crime trucking outfit described in the EIR 1979 article.

"google" Kennedy, Bay State Moving Systems, Inc., and voila up popped another connection between the Kennedy's and the Schofields.

The report linked below describes Bay State Moving Systems as a "multi million dollar business. Look for Liz Schofield , pictured right below Senators John Kerry and Ted Kennedy. END EMAIL

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://moorestories.com/files/KC_Program_1_.pdf

US Foodservice is suspected of involvement in transporting and warehousing illegal narcotics, drugs. They are now owned by Henry Kravis's "KKR" hedgefund. They were created by Merril Lynch (the old Meyer Lansky operation) and a leading insider of "United Brands" formerly known as "United Fruit".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3 years later...

I have no idea why he would make something like that up, perhaps to make himself seem more important. I spelled out why his claim that “Brady was supposed to pilot JFK Jr to Martha's Vineyard on the night of his death” “is almost certainly false” in post 140. To make a long story short: there is no indication on the Net they even knew each other, the former if he was licensed at all at the time was probablly far less experienced and he lived far from NYC.
http://educationforu...ndpost&p=207788 // COLBY
=============================================================

maybe Brady Schofield was qualified to fly JFK Jr

=

Colby and Scully found it preposterous but here is the FAA commending Schofield for his skills.
Edited by Steven Gaal

I have no idea why he would make something like that up, perhaps to make himself seem more important. I spelled out why his claim that “Brady was supposed to pilot JFK Jr to Martha's Vineyard on the night of his death” “is almost certainly false” in post 140. To make a long story short: there is no indication on the Net they even knew each other, the former if he was licensed at all at the time was probablly far less experienced and he lived far from NYC.

=

Colby and Scully found it preposterous but here is the FAA commending Schofield for his skills.

He is being commended for maintaining the standards set by the FAA for his licence type; the article does not mention his licence type.

A search of the FAA Airman Database shows that Mr Schofield holds a private pilots licence, single engine, land. It doesn't show any additional type ratings nor an instrument rating nor night VFR rating. I don't know if those certifications would show up in the database but I'll find out.

Steven Gaal, on 13 Feb 2015 - 6:33 PM, said:snapback.png

=

He is being commended for maintaining the standards set by the FAA for his licence type; the article does not mention his licence type.

A search of the FAA Airman Database shows that Mr Schofield holds a private pilots licence, single engine, land. It doesn't show any additional type ratings nor an instrument rating nor night VFR rating. I don't know if those certifications would show up in the database but I'll find out. // BURTON

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0000000000000000000000000))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

The Air Transport Pilot License (ATPL), or in the United States of America, an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate is the highest level of aircraft pilot license. Those certified as Airline Transport Pilots (unconditional) are authorized to act as pilot in command on scheduled air carrier's aircraft under CFR 14 Part 121. Additionally, ATP may be used as a name suffix, e.g. John Smith, ATP'[citation needed]

Any pilot operating an aircraft for pay must start by obtaining a Commercial pilot license (CPL). Airline Transport Pilot Licenses do not have special endorsements, such as Instrument or Complex aircraft ratings, as Airline Transport Pilots must already possess knowledge and training in these areas. However, aircraft heavier than 12,500 lbs. still require pilots to have a "type rating" (specific to the make and model of aircraft) certification.
Theoretical subjects included in the examination of ATPL applicants are:[1]
  • Air law
  • Aircraft general knowledge
  • Flight planning and monitoring
  • Human performance and limitations
  • Meteorology
  • Operational procedures
  • Principles of flight
  • Communications (IFR & VFR)
  • Performance
  • General navigation
  • Radio navigation
  • Instrumentation
  • Weight and balance

Yes Steven, but Mr Schofield does NOT hold an ATP / ATPL. He does NOT hold an instrument rating.

Why don't you search for this yourself?

Go to the FAA Airman Database:

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

When you have finished, you should acknowledge your mistake.

Like I said: a Private Pilot (not ATP - Air Transport Pilot) and VFR (Visual Flight Rules) only, not IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) rated.

Note that his class of medical (Third Class) is not the correct class for a Commercial Pilot (Second Class) nor ATP (First Class). That is not to say he could not obtain those medicals / licences, just that the current medical class he holds is insufficient.