The Education Forum

Survivor's Guilt: The Secret Service and the Failure to Protect President Kennedy

post-5718-0-10207400-1366660908_thumb.jpg
post-5718-0-10207400-1366660908_thumb.jpg

Survivor's Guilt: The Secret Service and the Failure to Protect President Kennedy: to be released 9/1/13

Massively rewritten, updated, expanded; 20+ years in the making; tremendously documented- almost three books in one!

Vince Palamara

Survivor's Guilt: The Secret Service and the Failure to Protect President Kennedy: to be released 9/1/13

Massively rewritten, updated, expanded; 20+ years in the making; tremendously documented- almost three books in one!

Vince Palamara

Greetings Vincent Michael, I look forward to reading it.

And the inevitable question: Will there be an ebook?

From the blurb on Amazon

Publication Date: September 1, 2013

Painstakingly researched by an authority on the history of the Secret Service and based on primary, firsthand accounts from more than 80 former agents, White House aides, and family members, this is the definitive account of what went wrong with John F. Kennedy’s security detail on the day he was assassinated.

I first met Vince Palamara at a Third Decade conference at SUNY Fredonia in or about 1991 or 1992. Vince was by far the most exciting speaker at the conference, and he described the early days of his Secret Service research.

I predicted then that young Vince would have a profound effect on this case, and the revised/updated Survivor's Guilt

will be the proof.

The Amazon blurb ends with this intriguing comment:

this study sheds light on the gross negligence and, in some cases, seeming culpability, of those sworn to protect the president.

http://www.amazon.com/Survivors-Guilt-Service-Failure-President/dp/1937584607

I happen to know both David Lifton and Vince Palamara, and consider both of them friends,

as well as colleagues in JFK research. It seems to me that their work is synergistic,

yet as far as I can tell they do not agree with each other.

Can anyone tell me What I am missing?

From the blurb on Amazon
Publication Date: September 1, 2013

Painstakingly researched by an authority on the history of the Secret Service and based on primary, firsthand accounts from more than 80 former agents, White House aides, and family members, this is the definitive account of what went wrong with John F. Kennedy’s security detail on the day he was assassinated.

I first met Vince Palamara at a Third Decade conference at SUNY Fredonia in or about 1991 or 1992. Vince was by far the most exciting speaker at the conference, and he described the early days of his Secret Service research.

I predicted then that young Vince would have a profound effect on this case, and the revised/updated Survivor's Guilt

will be the proof.

The Amazon blurb ends with this intriguing comment:

this study sheds light on the gross negligence and, in some cases, seeming culpability, of those sworn to protect the president.

http://www.amazon.com/Survivors-Guilt-Service-Failure-President/dp/1937584607

I happen to know both David Lifton and Vince Palamara, and consider both of them friends,

as well as colleagues in JFK research. It seems to me that their work is synergistic,

yet as far as I can tell they do not agree with each other.

Can anyone tell me What I am missing?

It occurs to me that, since David Lifton and Vince Palamara are both esteemed members here,

and since the London Forum, as David likes to call us, has now become a safer haven for

discussion thanks to recent expulsions, this would be a good time for Vince & David to outline

their differences/areas of agreement.

As self-appointed moderator, with plenipotentiary powers, I hereby call upon my great and good friend

Vincent Michael Palamara to outline briefly his views on Lifton's BEST EVIDENCE.

After that, by the powers vested in me (by myself) I will call on my equally great friend David S. Lifton to respond.

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

Pat Speer: Will the book have any transcripts or interviews not included in the original?

That's always a good question...by selecting interviews, or parts of it, which means suppressing interviews, or parts of it, texts on the JFK assassination are getting tendentious. Obvious example: The Warren Report. There should be an additional issue of such books, as Manchesters "The Dead of a president", with all the interview stuff in it...but I hardly believe that Palamara or McBride will start with it.

KK

My research materials will be donated to the National Archives(a fair amount is already there and has been since 1998). Yes, Pat: there is much new in the book---more interviews, updates, etc. Taking a page from Joseph McBride, I want people to read the book first. The materials will be there (even better than "transcripts": audio tapes, e-mails, and letters)

So, yes: get the book- all prior versions are inferior in comparison AND saw a relatively small audience (John Q Citizen basically never saw it at all)

Vince Palamara

Thanks, Vince. While donating things to the National Archives sounds like the right way to go on these matters, I'd like to suggest you send them somewhere else as well. Dealing with the archives is intimidating, slow, and expensive. As but one example...I wanted to view Larry Sturdivan's HSCA testimony so I could check it against the transcript of his testimony. (I found a major alteration.) The archives has videotapes and audiotapes of this testimony, but not someone to copy it. In order to get my copy, I would have to hire someone from a list supplied by the archives to go in and copy it for me. The guy I contacted wanted 80 bucks to do this, as I recall. This was outrageous, IMO. 80 bucks to double-check one sentence.

So I kept looking, and found that videotapes of the televised HSCA testimony of Sturdivan and others had been donated to the Poage Library at Baylor University by Jack White and others. As I recall, they charged me ten bucks for a DVD of Sturdivan's testimony.

SO...if you really want people to view your materials, you should find someplace in addition to the archives where it can be accessed.

For yet another example... I wanted to read the HSCA testimony of Robert Studebaker, but couldn't find it on the Mary Ferrell site. Sure enough, it was available from the archives, at a price. I don't remember what it cost but am pretty sure it was over 20 bucks. I subsequently copied it and sent it over to Rex at Mary Ferrell, so that others could read this very interesting testimony, without having to haggle with the archives and blow some bucks. But he was reluctant to put it online because it didn't have the cover sheet, which the archives had failed to send me.

As yet another example...David Lifton sent the tapes of his interviews to the archives. Now, how many people have heard them? Or read complete transcripts of these interviews? Virtually no one. Why? Because it would cost an arm and a leg to do so.

Vince as an alternative I would suggest Ben Rogers and the Pogue Library at Baylor. He has amassed a great collection of research material from Penn Jones to John Armstrong and many others. It seems the ideal place for your material, either as primary or backup.

The last outfit I would give JFK research materials to is the U.S. government.

Vince as an alternative I would suggest Ben Rogers and the Pogue Library at Baylor. He has amassed a great collection of research material from Penn Jones to John Armstrong and many others. It seems the ideal place for your material, either as primary or backup.

I agree, they try to scan and post things immediately, while the NARA employees don't want any more work than they have to do and resent being asked for things.

Baylor is Best.

• 4 weeks later...
Just got this from Goodreads:
[beware any negative or deleted reviews!]Having read an advanced copy of Vincent's book, let me just tell you that "Survivor's Guilt: The Service Service and the Failure to Protect the President" is THE best book ever written on the Secret Service (and the JFK assassination, as well). What's more, "SURVIVOR'S GUILT" TOTALLY DEBUNKS "THE KENNEDY DETAIL" BY GERALD BLAINE! President Kennedy did not order the agents off his limousine; there was no morning-of-JFK's-funeral meeting as Blaine alleged (...more

Vince Palamara is a genius! His many, many interviews with former Secret Service agents reveals a ton of new information. In fact, much of this information places "The Kennedy Detail" in the fiction section. This is the best book of 2013 and the best book on both the Kennedy assassination and the Secret Service. Very impressed!!